Still willing to pay markup after all the reviews?

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
But you’re getting a twin turbo…..
Yeah but you brought up the carryover chassis of the twins and lack of complaining. They didn't raise the price all that much, so people are less inclined to complain about any carryover (plus it seems like a nice chassis already). People aren't saying hey you're charging 10k more what's up with this chassis not changing much.

In contrast the Z is a larger jump in price between the 370Z and Z. So you will get more complaining if people feel they are not getting value in a particular area they focus on. (And that's leaving out ADM differences as well.) If the twin turbos are your thing, then maybe you consider the Z price jump worth the value mainly on that aspect.

OP
OP

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
The 350/370 base never had an LSD, so they are sticking with tradition lol. I don’t think Nissan could have sticked to 40$k with a twin turbo and brand new chassis, just like Toyota partnering with BMW to share chassis development keeping it’s msrp reasonable. Is the Z chassis really that bad? Lol

For 28$k you also get a suspect Subaru boxer engine.
I agree, that is how they keep the price of the Camaro down as it uses the same chassis as the Cadillac sedans.

I don't think the Z chassis is bad, but they are asking for more money and they didn't really do anything else to improve it. It should at least have adaptive dampers at the $50k price point.

As for the Boxer issue, that just looks like oil pan RTV sealant material due due to improper oil pan installation. They can rectify that pretty quick. I think the engine is solid.

DEUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX8, '23 BRZ
Yeah but you brought up the carryover chassis of the twins and lack of complaining. They didn't raise the price all that much, so people are less inclined to complain about any carryover (plus it seems like a nice chassis already). People aren't saying hey you're charging 10k more what's up with this chassis not changing much.

In contrast the Z is a larger jump in price between the 370Z and Z. So you will get more complaining if people feel they are not getting value in a particular area they focus on. (And that's leaving out ADM differences as well.) If the twin turbos are your thing, then maybe you consider the Z price jump worth the value mainly on that aspect.
So the general question is if 10k is good value for a factory twin turbo. ADM effects all sports cars and isn’t unique to the Z. If you wanted Nissan to spend 10$k on handling instead, the Z was probably the wrong car for you to begin with.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
So the general question is if 10k is good value for a factory twin turbo. ADM effects all sports cars and isn’t unique to the Z. If you wanted Nissan to spend 10$k on handling instead, the Z was probably the wrong car for you to begin with.
Well the 10k question differs as I mentioned, in what the customer is seeking in value. For you maybe the 10k price increase is worth it for the twin turbos, maybe some other folks not so much. And sure the Z might not be the right car for some people, depending on what they want and value, that's basically part of this discussion?

As for ADM, I don't think it impacts all sports cars the same right now. People will likely have a tougher time with ADM and the Z this year and probably next, compared to some other cars. So the out the door price vs value proposition could be more harsh for Z buyers.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Not if it's an engine that already exists in Nissan's garage going into a 370Z's chassis.

ADM isn't exclusive to the Z, we all know that. But a car like the Z not only getting a $10k price jump and then getting $10k-30k+ ADMs on top? They can go ahead with that bullshit.

OP
OP

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Not if it's an engine that already exists in Nissan's garage going into a 370Z's chassis.

ADM isn't exclusive to the Z, we all know that. But a car like the Z not only getting a $10k price jump and then getting $10k-30k+ ADMs on top? They can go ahead with that bullshit.
Precisely. You just have to give it time for the honeymoon to wear off. Once the initial surge of folks get them these cars will be selling at 10-15% off MSRP during end of month sales in the winter. This assume we ever get back to normal supply levels. They may never catch up with demand or may be happy with just selling fewer cars at a higher profit. I think the rest of the auto industry is envious of Tesla's 30% margin on their cars, which is like 4-5x that of all other automakers.

DEUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX8, '23 BRZ
For the people who aren't willing to pay ADM, just take a deep breath and wait the 1-2 years when ADMs are gone (normal for the BRZ/GR86 and even for the hated release of the A90 Supra). And for those that think MSRP is way overpriced then go to sleep and wake up in 5 years when maybe the depreciation has hit hard enough to pick up a used bargain.

But maybe in 5 years it will be too late because all ICE and manual transmission cars will no longer be sold brand new on the dealers lots. And as a consolation manufacturers will offer brand new EV sports cars that are far "superior" cars to the RZ34 and the 1:35.06 Autobahn CC laptime of the Supra lol. Whatever "superior" car of today will always be outdone by the "superior" cars of tomorrow, but what makes a legend like the MKIV? Was the MKIV even "superior" to it's competitors of the 90's? As self defeating as this sounds, manufacturers have to make MONEY to continue to offer us with sports cars and if we aren't willing to pay up for even MSRP, then we won't have the ICE sports cars of tomorrow.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Might as well save your $$$ for the special 2030 60th Anniversary or Nismo, whichever comes first? 🤔 Hopefully dealers and ADMs will be extinct, online orders and deliveries only. Hey we can dream...

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
I'm not willing to pay over msrp for ANY vehicle. I won't be in a position to buy one of these for a couple more years probably, but if the dealers don't calm down I'm not afraid to cross shop with C7 corvettes for my midlife crisis.

OP
OP

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
I'm not willing to pay over msrp for ANY vehicle. I won't be in a position to buy one of these for a couple more years probably, but if the dealers don't calm down I'm not afraid to cross shop with C7 corvettes for my midlife crisis.
Good point. You could pick up a Grand Sport in the $60k range and it is track ready and will hold its value for the foreseeable future.

Bayareaz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z
I wouldn't pay markup. The $10k premium over the stripped base model is already a lot. Dealers will slap on lame unnecessary accessories. Extra for red paint on top of a premium model is pure greed. So sorry, my pockets are already stretched, no extra money left to fill greedy dealers pockets.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
im not even sure i would pay msrp😂, it feels overpriced now after all the comparison and tests
A base I6 w/ 380WHP Supra MT is $53K vs 380WHP Z MT is $40K...... the Z is still worth considering

When you step up to the Performance trim and compare it with the base I6 Supra, at about same price (or more w/ ADM), that's a tough decision.