(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Sounds like you haven’t seen the dyno comparison..

Supra dynoed higher yesterday, Z made 365
Do you have a link or screenshot (I don't have social media accounts if the dyno is there)

I'd like to see it and compare it to baseline Infiniti dynos, 365 is on the low end for VR30…... totally possible as all dynos will put up different results, but I'd like to see if the plots look like a VR at least.

Most Infiniti make at least 375whp, and that's with AWD and the 7AT.

(Nonetheless I know the BMW is stronger, especially considering stock torque should be a good deal better too)

Vilithrax

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8
Do you have a link or screenshot (I don't have social media accounts if the dyno is there)

I'd like to see it and compare it to baseline Infiniti dynos, 365 is on the low end for VR30…... totally possible as all dynos will put up different results, but I'd like to see if the plots look like a VR at least.

(Nonetheless I know the BMW is stronger, especially considering stock torque should be a good deal better too)
I don’t have the sc. plus mod says it’s probably fake.. I’ll just leave it at that. I’m sure we will get more info soon. I hope it dynos at 400 at least

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Like I said before, it’s nowhere to be found on AMS’ social. I doubt they would post it and then take it down, as that would be a) damaging to their credibility and b) potentially upset Nissan, who they have a long-standing relationship with—why would they ruffle feathers there?

Also, where’s the media coverage? If something like that came out, you best believe auto journalists would be swarming. Tons of pubs were publishing articles on rumors alone leading up to the release. They would have been all over this.

I’ll happily eat my words if I’m wrong here, but I’m plenty skeptical.

Vilithrax

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8
9BB68A50-7A9A-421E-B828-1BCE27E967A1.jpeg

I mean, this is what they posted. May be fake, May be real. Won’t know for certain. Can anyone get any info from the pic alone?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
If real you can certainly see an explanation for the much lower 0-60 times with the Z's 9 spd AT compared to the 6 speed - the engine's hp peak is relatively narrow in rpm range, so the benefit of having very close ratio gearing for better acceleration is more marked.

I'm no dyno expert, but wrt the Supra that seems like a pretty unusual torque curve for an unmodded production engine? That bulge from 2300-4300 rpm is something I haven't seen before.

Last edited:

kevzxvii

First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Occupation
nurse
Not my screenshot, i dont have an android LOL.

apparently they compared a 2020 instead of 2021+ model Zupra (which make significant more power). when prompted they said they couldn't locate a91 Supra. all (MK5) Supras are a90. many corrected them also stated why use a manual Z (less drivetrain loss). a91 is just a term for special editions, then they deleted it.

F6FE9A67-2AF9-4F07-9AD2-AE2780342F9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Not my screenshot, i dont have an android LOL.

apparently they compared a 2020 instead of 2021+ model Zupra (which make significant more power). when prompted they said they couldn't locate a91 Supra. all (MK5) Supras are a90. many corrected them also stated why use a manual Z (less drivetrain loss). a91 is just a term for special editions, then they deleted it.

F6FE9A67-2AF9-4F07-9AD2-AE2780342F9C.jpeg
Thanks for posting, it makes sense now. Even the 2020 Supra is an over-achiever on the dyno.

The Z hitting 356whp is about right if you take into the account 11% drivetrain loss.

The 2021 Supra is a torque beast. It can easily hit 600 wheel torque on the stock turbo.

-RJM

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT

I’d also be interested in the comparison to stock Q60RS dynos sheets, as you’ve pointed out they’re typically higher than this

Also considering the difference in the Z n Supra’s 0-60 & quarter was only .2 sec, 1 mph diff in trap speed, and that a large part of that was clearly due to lack of tire grip n ineffective launch control, Id be skeptical that the difference in whp is that significant.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I’d also be interested in the comparison to stock Q60RS dynos sheets, as you’ve pointed out they’re typically higher than this

Also considering the difference in the Z n Supra’s 0-60 & quarter was only .2 sec, 1 mph diff in trap speed, and that a large part of that was clearly due to lack of tire grip n ineffective launch control, Id be skeptical that the difference in whp is that significant.
After considering the "AMS Dyno Comparison" to an alleged 2020 Supra....
After re-watching the Hagerty video

I must say the Z is ACTUALLY impressive. On paper, torque is down, weight is +260 over the BMW, the BMW has a solid reputation for being underrated, the BMW has a better transmission AND Hagerty tested against the higher-power 2022 BMW....
And the Z had wheelspin all the way into 3rd, they said it would've been neck and neck had the Z hooked up.

Now, is it because ineffective suspension design? Possibly.
Janky tires? Likely.
Poorly sorted launch control parameters? That too.
Doesn't surprise me that Nissan was 95% in this area.
BMWs make more power and handle their power better.
This Z has the power, but can't handle it AS WELL as the BMW. Several YT'ers have mentioned that the Z is squirrelly thru the first 3 gears.

Not much can be done about how well the chassis puts down the power. Doubt Nissan can sort the LC out. I'd be curious about better tires.

Still not going to beat a 2022 BMW Supra. Best we could hope for, and looks totally possible, is to stay in the shadow of the BMW. Maybe nose-to-nose.

Good enough for me. Let's call the dramatic wheelspin and squirrelliness "character". Probably "feels" faster than the Supra due to the inability to handle it's own power.

Vilithrax

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8
I wish they tested against a 21+ model, the 6 post makes 382 on a dyno. Sounds fishy when they say they couldn’t get ahold of one at the time..

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

I will PAY for your track fee. Serious and honest offer.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

200.gif

Sincerely hope someone takes you up on this.

I'm most curious if the brakes hold up as well as they have perceived to, so far. I want to say a reviewer said if you do wish to track it, the Nismo pads would be enough? Which is a pretty solid vote of confidence of whatever brake fluid/other bits they put it in from the factory.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Honest Track Offer:

Forget YouTube money, I want TB money 🤑

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
200.gif

Sincerely hope someone takes you up on this.

I'm most curious if the brakes hold up as well as they have perceived to, so far. I want to say a reviewer said if you do wish to track it, the Nismo pads would be enough? Which is a pretty solid vote of confidence of whatever brake fluid/other bits they put it in from the factory.

Offer is legit. I understand the Z may not be released in the wild until late summer, but we run through Oct as long as the temps get a stay above 45.

Track is 2 miles. Relatively new (5 years old)
Check us out

Dominion Raceway | Virginia Motorsports | Nascar Racing | Entertainment Venue