First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1962 Triumph TR3A
Occupation
High School Teacher
No offense taken. I know the Evo isn't a "tasteful" car. I simply don't care. It's ignorantly fun, looks evil, and rips like a raped ape. Doesn't change the fact that the S197 is trash, and the Evo IX is a MUCH better looking car.

Are you trying to say sedans can't be aesthetically pleasing? Now I can't take YOUR opinion seriously. Already couldn't because you think the 5th gen Mustang is tasteful. There's PLENTY of sedans that look leaps and bounds better than that bland ass, rental car grade S197.
I’m saying there isn’t a four door car on the planet that looks better than the S197, let alone the Mustang II, simply based on the fact that the proportions are thrown off by two additional doors. When has anyone ever said “It would look better if they turned it into a four door sedan?”

The appearances of the S197 concept and production car were universally praised when they were released and the production car is widely considered to be the best looking Mustang since 1969.

It’s fine if you don’t agree, but you are literally the first person I have encountered in 19 years to argue otherwise.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I’m saying there isn’t a four door car on the planet that looks better than the S197, let alone the Mustang II, simply based on the fact that the proportions are thrown off by two additional doors. When has anyone ever said “It would look better if they turned it into a four door sedan?”

The appearances of the S197 concept and production car were universally praised when they were released and the production car is widely considered to be the best looking Mustang since 1969.

It’s fine if you don’t agree, but you are literally the first person I have encountered in 19 years to argue otherwise.
Ok now I know you're joking. Out of all the Mustangs available, you go from one of the worst to THE worst possible choice. The Mustang 2? Come on, man. I mean looks are subjective, but some things are just universally known.

There's COUNTLESS sedans (and even wagons) that look better than the S197. I don't think a single person I've ever met in my life would agree with you.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I’m saying there isn’t a four door car on the planet that looks better than the S197
Allow me to be the second!

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Allow me to be the second!

Yeah, that car looks like it's in the middle of an identity crisis and doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. Sorry.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I concur, that generation of Mustang was ugly. It looks like trash even on a no-credit-needed used car lot.
Lol, that's pretty accurate for down here as well. Most S197's I see on the street look completely shot. When they first came out I do recall them being well received overall, but for me they aged very quickly and not well at all. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the S197 II either, but the '10-14 is definitely an improvement over the former.

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Umm getting back on topic I saw this one on facebook.

1626387308013.png
I remember the S550 being compared to the Accord when it was first released.

That's not a particularly flattering angle of the Z. Who looks at a car like that anyway, unless they're sitting on a bucket and detailing it?

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
Yeah, but that black bar on the Mustang goes all the way back to 1969.
As does the 240Z. Released in 1969 as a 70 model year. And, a Google image search is showing about half of the '69 mustangs are body colored and not black.

That said, the point is that it's a heritage cue from both makes for a similar length of time. Also, I don't think a Z has ever been mistaken for a Mustang, or vice versa.

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
High School Teacher
As does the 240Z. Released in 1969 as a 70 model year. And, a Google image search is showing about half of the '69 mustangs are body colored and not black.
I think it was only on the Mach 1?