Will this car be forever known as "400Z"?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I actually hung up on a salesman yesterday after asking about the new Z. Oh you mean the 400z? No, the new Nissan Z. They then began explain the 350z and then the 370z and that's why its the 400z. And this was the "best" salesman I was talking to. I felt defeated after that call and I plan on just taking a break. If the US doesn't get the option from NissanUSA's website to preorder then I'm just gunna get one when I get one at this point. Not worth the time and brain cells to explain to the dealership why they are misidentifying their own products. ?
I'd be like: "you call it 400Z one more time, and I want to bet you it isn't called 400Z. The wager? I win, no ADM, no add-ons, no bullshit. You win, you can keep calling it 400Z"

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I actually hung up on a salesman yesterday after asking about the new Z. Oh you mean the 400z? No, the new Nissan Z. They then began explain the 350z and then the 370z and that's why its the 400z. And this was the "best" salesman I was talking to. I felt defeated after that call and I plan on just taking a break. If the US doesn't get the option from NissanUSA's website to preorder then I'm just gunna get one when I get one at this point. Not worth the time and brain cells to explain to the dealership why they are misidentifying their own products. ?
At the dealership where I purchased my wife's Rogue, the service advisers kept calling it the 400Z, but my salesman correctly called it a Z.

So I guess I'll buy it there and take it somewhere else for service? ?

In all seriousness though, I wonder how competent the Nissan mechanics are going to be with this engine if I ever do have issues. I should be able to take it to Infinity for service, right?

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
At the dealership where I purchased my wife's Rogue, the service advisers kept calling it the 400Z, but my salesman correctly called it a Z.

So I guess I'll buy it there and take it somewhere else for service? ?

In all seriousness though, I wonder how competent the Nissan mechanics are going to be with this engine if I ever do have issues. I should be able to take it to Infinity for service, right?
You are probably better off going to Infiniti if that is possible.. The engine and trans already came in their cars before...

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I think the real reason they called it just Z, is because it is the last one, and because the car took bits from all the different Zs over time as a nod to its heritage….calling it a Z encompasses all Zs that have come before it.
I read this somewhere awhile back regarding the Infinity Q series naming. The performance cars went from the G35 (3.5L engine) to the G37 (3.7L) based on engine displacement. When the decision was made to put the VR30DDTT engine in the next generation, marketing thougt sticking with the same naming convention and calling it a G30 would turn confuse customers and turn them away because the numbers were going backwards.

Thinking back to the A&W 1/3 lb. burger failing because too many people actually thought a 1/4 lb. burger was larger makes me think they made the correct decision.

Either the article didn't say, or I have forgotten, but there was no mention of how they decided on the current Q50/Q60 name.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Engineer
You are probably better off going to Infiniti if that is possible.. The engine and trans already came in their cars before...
I'm getting the manual trans, but I agree about the engine. My only concern is if they'll work on it, especially if something happens under warranty.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
I'm getting the manual trans, but I agree about the engine. My only concern is if they'll work on it, especially if something happens under warranty.
The trans should be the same as the 370/g37 or VERY close to it with the likely hood of a better clutch.. I think I heard something about the CSC being upgraded as well.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The trans should be the same as the 370/g37 or VERY close to it with the likely hood of a better clutch.. I think I heard something about the CSC being upgraded as well.
That's correct about the clutch. Exedy clutch, but more importantly, the CSC has been relocated outside the bellhousing which should eliminate or at least minimize the heat related failures seen on the internal CSC.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I read this somewhere awhile back regarding the Infinity Q series naming. The performance cars went from the G35 (3.5L engine) to the G37 (3.7L) based on engine displacement. When the decision was made to put the VR30DDTT engine in the next generation, marketing thougt sticking with the same naming convention and calling it a G30 would turn confuse customers and turn them away because the numbers were going backwards.

Thinking back to the A&W 1/3 lb. burger failing because too many people actually thought a 1/4 lb. burger was larger makes me think they made the correct decision.

Either the article didn't say, or I have forgotten, but there was no mention of how they decided on the current Q50/Q60 name.
They decided on the Q"XX"/Qx"XX" naming scheme due to the CEO at the time (Johan de Nysschen) who was from Audi, wanting a flat naming convention the way he had at Audi in Europe. After he left, Infiniti couldn't go back to their old ways..which they should've since the I/G/M/FX/QX all had different meanings to denote what kind of vehicle they were.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Well if you're a Nissan dealership employee it's a 400z. ?

I've referred to every model Z I've owned as my Z or the Z. (300zx, 3 different 350z's, and a 370z)
I don't disagree with your opinion. And I didn't dispute what the enthusiasts utter out loud or beneath their breath, just the fact what was written on paper and stamped on the car. Historically, it was written out as ###Z. I just come from a perspective where things are written down has a higher priority than the utterance.

anyways, don't mean to get everyone so excited ... lol

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I should be able to take it to Infinity for service, right?
Infinity is an audio electronics manufacturer. Good luck with that.

Better off trying Infiniti, that's who makes tarted-up Nissans.

Oh, and yeah, Infiniti dealer service departments have very good experience dropping the engine and drivetrain out of these cars. Everytime I take my Q60 in for oil change, there's a VR30DDTT car with the engine out.

Kind of concerning, TBH

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Engineer

Oh, and yeah, Infiniti dealer service departments have very good experience dropping the engine and drivetrain out of these cars. Everytime I take my Q60 in for oil change, there's a VR30DDTT car with the engine out.

Kind of concerning, TBH
I'm blaming autocorrect.

Smartass! ? ? ?

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance

Kind of concerning, TBH
400z and now infinity ...CRINGING