Will this car be forever known as "400Z"?

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I think 300ZX would have made more sense since it's a 3.0L with Turbo, they could have even used the throwback font for the badging and the name "300ZX" could have cashed in on the 90s Z32 nostalgia.

I honestly think this will be the final ICE Z car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
with how long nissan keeps a model in production with little to no change, i don't doubt it will be the last one.

they may end up building an ev version of this model, but at least the z in ice form, will go out in style...
Nowhere for batteries on the aged FM platform.

An EV or hybrid Z is going to need a new platform. Not happening until Infiniti figures out if it could justify sharing the cost, which probably is not going to happen.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Nowhere for batteries on the aged FM platform.

An EV or hybrid Z is going to need a new platform. Not happening until Infiniti figures out if it could justify sharing the cost, which probably is not going to happen.
sure i hear ya...

what im saying is if the new z is still as popular when nissan goes all electric, it wouldn't surprise if an all new model based off this version is built.

the more i look at this design the more i realize there's not much you could change, asthetics-wise that would make it look better.

all that to say, i can totally see nissan building a chassis with this skin. which brings me to another question, how many here would buy an all electric z? sounds like a good thread title...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
sure i hear ya...

what im saying is if the new z is still as popular when nissan goes all electric, it wouldn't surprise if an all new model based off this version is built.

the more i look at this design the more i realize there's not much you could change, asthetics-wise that would make it look better.

all that to say, i can totally see nissan building a chassis with this skin. which brings me to another question, how many here would buy an all electric z? sounds like a good thread title...
I'd only consider an BEV Z if it utilized a drivetrain that created unique and interesting noises, like straight cut gear and lots of inverter whine.
Otherwise BEV are just a silent, soulless appliance and when I get a BEV it'll probably be a midsize SUV.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
sure i hear ya...

I'd only consider an BEV Z if it utilized a drivetrain that created unique and interesting noises, like straight cut gear and lots of inverter whine.
Otherwise BEV are just a silent, soulless appliance and when I get a BEV it'll probably be a midsize SUV.
so i went ahead and started a thread on hybrid/ev z...

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/would-you-buy-an-electric-or-hybrid-z.741/#post-18226

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
This is the 7th gen Z-series and after about 50yrs, Nissan decided to call it just "Z". In some sense Nissan just realized, regardless of their justifications, that it's better to just call it Z like everybody else (e.g. Toyota Supra, not 3.0Supra or Zupra). I think the more appropriate way is to always be consistent and should've been called 400Z.

And it's pretty silly to call it Z after all these years bc the emblem signifies their previous success. To drop it is to separate from the ICE car history.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This is the 7th gen Z-series and after about 50yrs, Nissan decided to call it just "Z". In some sense Nissan just realized, regardless of their justifications, that it's better to just call it Z like everybody else (e.g. Toyota Supra, not 3.0Supra or Zupra). I think the more appropriate way is to always be consistent and should've been called 400Z.

And it's pretty silly to call it Z after all these years bc the emblem signifies their previous success. To drop it is to separate from the ICE car history.
Wrong.

You say it's inconsistent with the history of the Z to drop the numbers.

Then you want them to inconsistently make up the arbitrary "400" moniker.

If Nissan were to be true to past practice and history, it'd be called "300Z" and I 100% support it as that'd be most true to the lineage.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
Well if you're a Nissan dealership employee it's a 400z. ?

I've referred to every model Z I've owned as my Z or the Z. (300zx, 3 different 350z's, and a 370z)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Well if you're a Nissan dealership employee it's a 400z. ?

I've referred to every model Z I've owned as my Z or the Z. (300zx, 3 different 350z's, and a 370z)
And there's my love-hate with Nissan.
Love the RWD-based Nissan's and infiniti's
Hate the Nissan dealers.

Doesn't surprise me that a dealership full of FWD CVT vehicles would ignorantly refer to a vehicle by the wrong name. Not surprised one bit.

Every RWD-based Nissan I've had has been great at staying out of the dealerships after purchase.

timszee

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CIVIC
Occupation
IT
I actually hung up on a salesman yesterday after asking about the new Z. Oh you mean the 400z? No, the new Nissan Z. They then began explain the 350z and then the 370z and that's why its the 400z. And this was the "best" salesman I was talking to. I felt defeated after that call and I plan on just taking a break. If the US doesn't get the option from NissanUSA's website to preorder then I'm just gunna get one when I get one at this point. Not worth the time and brain cells to explain to the dealership why they are misidentifying their own products. ?