First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
like the titles says, would you consider buying one?

why would you purchase it or what would keep you from buying an ev z?

what would the pros and cons be?

Last edited:

jdrxb9

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ND2
I don't need really long range from my sporty/DD - just enough to get to after-work stuff or maybe a not-too-far-off MTB ride on the weekends. So, if you look at something like the Model 3 SR+ with only ~54 kWh and good efficiency at ~240wh/mi, that'd be good enough for me. The SR+ is 'only' ~3600lb, but is the size of a G37. Chop that down to Z size (esp. the height, which might be tough with the batteries under the whole floor, though the EQXX looks a lot lower than most current EVs) and drop maybe 400 or 500 lb (diff btw G37 and 370Z) and give it the latest Model S motor at a RWD Model 3 price and I'm in for sure.

The only thing that might keep me from it would be finally giving up the 3rd pedal :( (edit: and/or inability to turn the driver aids way down/off) - but I fear that day is going to come eventually...

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
My plan is to keep driving/moddng my ICE Z until I shuffle off to the great beyond. But if anything changes, I could see myself in a hybrid if it is built right. A fully electric Z would probably be faster, but it would lack soul.

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus CT200h Lexus GX 570
I’m a petrolhead but would buy an EV Z if it generated 500+ hp and crazy torque. I’d be interested to see a revised front end that doesn’t have the gaping front air intake needed for the combustion engine.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I can see the advantages of EV, but for a sports car, I need to hear how the car sounds...maybe a VR25/26DDTT + battery pack and a good DCT/ZF trans, and priced around $60k, then it would be a good option to consider.

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
I like to drive in a sporty manner and I like the idea of not drawing attention to myself with loud sounds. That said, the exhaust on my car sounds pretty sweet when downshifting.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
interesting...it's currently split down the middle, for and against.

id really like to know why you would not want one...

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
We just don’t have the infrastructure in Australia to support it yet, and they are as expensive as all heck, because our government hasn’t subsidised them …so it’s a hell no from me, at least for the next 5 years

Last edited:

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
With everyone going electric in the next 10+ yrs I don't think we have much of a choice.
This is all the more reason to buy ICE vehicles, to me with manual transmissions, now and enjoy the hell out of them while we still can. Some people want to go out and buy the latest & greatest tech/electric vehicles, and that's fine, but I'm in no rush if you're telling me that one day relatively soon I won't have much of a choice.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If a BEV Z is quiet like all the other BEVs, what's the point? BEV are just appliances.

Now, if it made actual mechanical fun noises, like straight-cut gears and inverter whine, I'd strongly consider it. Needs to have character.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
If a BEV Z is quiet like all the other BEVs, what's the point? BEV are just appliances.

Now, if it made actual mechanical fun noises, like straight-cut gears and inverter whine, I'd strongly consider it. Needs to have character.
i get what you're saying, but i don't want them piping in fake noises either.

btw, please change your avatar...it disturbs me each time i see it ?

Last edited:

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
No plugin infrastructure exists in most condos, and the cost to retrofit these buildings will be high, so I don't see anything beyond mild hybrid happening there until ICE car sales are banned.