First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, BMW 130i, Mitsubishi Pajero & Lancer
Occupation
Auto electrician/mechanic
Hey everyone! Posting up about a new noise I’ve noticed from my 2023 Australian delivered Proto Z. From around 1000rpm-4000rpm most notably, there is a high pitch whine while accelerating. Get’s louder/higher in pitch with RPM. Doesn’t matter how gentle or harshly you accelerate, the noise is definitely present. It’s not present at cruise or deceleration. It is progressively getting worse - I first noticed it around 1500kms but put it down to me being a mechanic and listening from problems absentmindedly. More recently as we hit 2500 and now 4000kms I’ve had passengers mention it without making note of it to them.

It matches engine (crankshaft) speed only - I’ve checked it against boost pressure and turbo speed, but the noise does not vary with those. Applying brakes, turning ect I can’t alter the noise. The noise is the same in all forward gears. Havent tried in reverse.

I suspect that it’s the input shaft bearing on the manual box, can’t really think of too much else that rotates at crankshaft speed.

I really don’t drive the car harshly, majority of the kms are motorway between Sydney and Brisbane

Posting here to make a note of it and ask if anyone else has noticed a similar noise? Haven’t found anything else online yet.

I will be mentioning it to my local dealer, but I’m not expecting any real response from them. When I went in for the first service I pointed out an issue with the dash screen which they acknowledged but could offer no solution for…🙃

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
Defniitely haven't noticed any noise like that with my (auto) Proto. I would be constantly hounding your dealer constantly until they fix it and raise it with Nissan head office if necessary.

Kirk’s Z

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z performance
Occupation
Contract Manager for Palm Beach County
I can confirm that I have experienced that exact noise with my automatic. Additionally, when stopped the car pitches forward. Dealer said the noise was tire noise and had the audacity to explain I was driving a “sports car and I just need to adjust to the new car. I informed the dealer I’ve owned air cooled 911’s so I understand the definition of a sports car.

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
Hey everyone! Posting up about a new noise I’ve noticed from my 2023 Australian delivered Proto Z. From around 1000rpm-4000rpm most notably, there is a high pitch whine while accelerating. Get’s louder/higher in pitch with RPM.
hello, I too experienced this (2022 Proto Manual) for awhile and I’ve not noticed it lately, I will still mention it as it’s going in for its 10,000km service very soon.

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
Dealer said the noise was tire noise and had the audacity to explain I was driving a “sports car and I just need to adjust to the new car.
I got this speech when I said the second gear was clunky, but every service i will bring up the clunky 2nd gear just so it’s on record. Ridiculous