Whats your price breaking point for a Z???

Yasha

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pending 2023 Z
Occupation
Software Engineer
If it's going to be $60K CAD for a Z Performance, I'm cancelling my order and buying a Supra 3.0 :D. $60K CAD puts it in line with a BMW M 240i.

In my opinion the Performance spec needs to undercut the Supra 3.0 by at least $10KUSD (or $15K+ CAD), that car has an active diff, adaptive suspension, a clean sheet design chassis, and is 150+lbs lighter. The Z is a parts bin car (Red Sport Engine, 370Z chassis etc.).
Bro lmao...have you actually seen what a well-spec'd M240i costs? It's 71k BEFORE taxes, so over 80k total. Trust me dude, I was seriously considering that car it's not even in the same league of price as the Z. The reason being it shares parts with the M cars and all that BMW luxury tax (it is good luxury though, really liked sitting in that thing).

Trust me dude, you don't want to buy a base model BMW. Or at least I don't ?.

All this is before you even consider the nightmare fuel that BMW will be to maintain after its warranty expires. The Z might actually be worth keeping long run from an investment standpoint.

My advice is, if you're gonna sell your kidney may as well get the M2! The Supra is a reasonable alternative though, I will give that. But even at 50k, the Z will still be 15k + 13% cheaper...I'm hoping it's under 50k too. Don't wanna spend more, I'd rather save to invest in property.

Last edited:

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro SS 1LE, BMW 340, Ford F150
Bro lmao...have you actually seen what a well-spec'd M240i costs? It's 71k BEFORE taxes, so over 80k total. Trust me dude, I was seriously considering that car it's not even in the same league of price as the Z.
https://www.brianjesselbmw.com/vehicles/2022/bmw/2-series/vancouver/bc/53826087/?sale_class=New

Here's one for $63K....

None the less I would never cross shop these cars, especially seeing as my daily is a 340i.

I was simply pointing out, in response to the previous poster that if the Z gets priced anywhere near $60K CAD it would be a mistake.

Ongor

First Name
Agustin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Baller
With the amount of tech and high quality materials.. ( carbon fiber drive shaft, rays forged wheels, aluminum control arms, etc) I think sadly that it might even be over $60k CAD.
Japan has very similar vehicle pricing as in Canada, and their proto is $77k CAD.

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With the amount of tech and high quality materials.. ( carbon fiber drive shaft, rays forged wheels, aluminum control arms, etc) I think sadly that it might even be over $60k CAD.
You do realize that all the items you mentioned (carbon fiber drive shaft, rays forged wheels, aluminum control arms, etc) were already on the 370Z which had a starting MSRP of <$35K right?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
You do realize that all the items you mentioned (carbon fiber drive shaft, rays forged wheels, aluminum control arms, etc) were already on the 370Z which had a starting MSRP of <$35K right?
This. People seem to forget that the new Z is essentially a (beautifully) re-skinned, warmed-over 370Z with an engine transplant for more power. No E-diff, no active suspension, no drive modes (and no more nice hydraulic steering) - in most ways it's an old-school car. That doesn't mean that with careful development and tuning work it won't be significantly better, but it's far from all-new.

Ongor

First Name
Agustin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Baller
This. People seem to forget that the new Z is essentially a (beautifully) re-skinned, warmed-over 370Z with an engine transplant. No E-diff, no active suspension, no drive modes - it's most ways it's an old-school car.
I truly hope you guys are right and I'm wrong... I really want to keep my order and get the car :p

I hope that Nissan's wish to redeem it's image makes them do something like what they did when the GT-R was released, and release this car at an unbelievable value.

The problem is the 40k USD (around 51k CAD) base price they announced, that leads me to believe the performance MT will be around 60k CAD.
In comparison, the 370z Nismo was around 48k CAD. it's quite a leap.

Counting the days for Spring! (and the price announcement!)

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Ongor

First Name
Agustin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Baller
See Post #82 in this thread (https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/whats-your-price-breaking-point-for-a-z.807/post-20867)

$40K USD does not equal $48K CAD with Nissan's pricing structure, it's not a simple Forex.
O I know, I even posted something similar myself.

I guess I'm just bracing for the worse, and hoping for the best!

Exchange rates and car prices are all over the place. When I bought my FR-S back in the day, it was about the same price in USD, now the GR86 is pretty much at normal exchange rate. I think at this point, not even Nissan knows what the price will be in CAD.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
When I bought my FR-S back in the day, it was about the same price in USD, now the GR86 is pretty much at normal exchange rate.
Not quite. Current exchange rate is 1.27, price differential on base model GR is 1.14. So Toyota is eating about half of the exchange rate selling in Canada. And the BRZ is even cheaper here, it's $2k lower than the GR86.

Ongor

First Name
Agustin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Baller
Not quite. Current exchange rate is 1.27, price differential on base model GR is 1.14. So Toyota is eating about half of the exchange rate selling in Canada. And the BRZ is even cheaper here, it's $2k lower than the GR86.
I stand corrected! I was looking base US to canada's premium's...
I'm glad us canadians get charged less still :p

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
And hopefully some track times, 0-60, and 1/4 mile times
Odds are better for the Toronto Argonauts winning the Super Bowl.

As to price etc being released I very much doubt it, the ad is geared to building brand excitement, releasing what is likely to be a relatively high price for the car at the same time would throw a damp squid on that.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Odds are better for the Toronto Argonauts winning the Super Bowl.

As to price etc being released I very much doubt it, the ad is geared to building brand excitement, releasing what is likely to be a relatively high price for the car at the same time would throw a damp squid on that.
Yes and no.
The Z is a niche market.
The enthusiasts (us) not only know about it, but a fair few have orders in for it.
If Nissan is spending big ona super bowl advert, what’s the point if pricing and expected delivery date are not announced with it or at the very least a week or two after?
The enthusiasts will wait, the general public not so likely

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Nissan knows 99.99% of the millions viewing the ad will never buy the car, and less than 1% will even consider doing so, so why would they rain on their own publicity parade by getting real with pricing at the same time? Stupid move, they won't do it. It works against their goal of reshaping the brand from "loser-discount" to " cool-exciting". This is all about stimulating emotion, not blunting it with sobering facts. Actually selling Zs isn't the primary goal here, they already know first year production will sell out.

Last edited: