What's the deal with engine covers?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Okay, I've been wondering this for 20ish years, since I got my G35. This is slightly related to the Z because it has one too. What is the deal with engine covers? Do they have a function, or are they simply useless weight?

Last edited:

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Perhaps some covers with brackets or channels to route wiring are functional, but I think they’re honestly just for engine dressup and presentation purposes.

The plastic, blobby manifolds & rats nest of wires many modern engines have are pretty unsightly to the common car owner. I think Nissan even took it to extremes with the Infiniti M cars, has panels covering just about the entire engine bay.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
agree its just a modern dress up trend. could prevent excess dust I guess

got to get on a soapbox rant for a second about why the hell nissan didnt do a NISMO engine cover for the Z NISMO. I mean that is a glaring omission. all you got to do it put a little red in the one you have now and stick a badge on it. at least you can buy the carbon one from NISMO USA that shows the intercoolers off but its expensive...

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx

got to get on a soapbox rant for a second about why the hell nissan didnt do a NISMO engine cover for the Z NISMO. I mean that is a glaring omission. all you got to do it put a little red in the one you have now and stick a badge on it. at least you can buy the carbon one from NISMO USA that shows the intercoolers off but its expensive...
Oh wow, I figured they would have? Just the regular engine cover?

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT

I agree that would’ve looked incredible and should’ve been a gimme addon. Perhaps they just don’t like pulling from the. NISMO USA catalog 😕

Though for me I figure if Nissan ever opens up online orders for the Z, I’d just tack the CF engine cover, track exhaust, and intakes onto a factory order as dealer-installed options so it’d (almost) be like it came with them