What will stop you from owning the new Z?

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
The Toyota made Supras or BMW Supras?
the orig will only go continue to go up...i've watched the market since 2008.
i'm constantly looking for a good deal on one.

the bmw variant will start going down once this chip shortage & crazy used car market subsides...it was on its way down before that.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
if they put cheap 18" rims on it that look like they came off an 80s-90s chebbie camero...

oh wait! o_O

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
Corvette Z06.

But no manual. Car looks epic though. My GT350 is already almost too fast for the street, so I can't imagine how that Corvette will feel. I think the Z will be more usable on the street, and less than half the price. Also smaller and a bit lighter. Just need to get a garage, lots of money, and get both.

-T

tractng

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 RDX, 2016 Miata
Occupation
Systems Admin
I want MSRP out the door (in Calif). Haha. Guess I will wait forever.. On a serious note, If she is over 3550lbs+ I might consider buying another Miata (recently sold the ND1 which I owned 5.5 years).

Tud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dodge Ram............. Not looking to trade in
Occupation
Retired
I will NEVER pay a dealer markup. They can die with the car first. I am not even a fan of MSRP

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
...after seeing that the VR30 needs to be pulled to do turbos, and it's not uncommon problem on the Infiniti cars, I'd like to avoid putting high mileage on the Z
i sure hope this issue gets sorted...it could be a deal killer

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
looking like buying a Z at msrp in the usa is gonna be near impossible since the demand is going to be high...it might be time for plan c...

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
After viewing the car yesterday (not able to sit in it however), I am left with two concerns. The first is outward visibility. Toronto-area traffic is a zoo these days, so this is getting to be more important to me, and while the new Z is generally no worse than the 370 in this respect that car was very marginal. I think I will have to find a used Z on some dealer lot to sit in again to assess whether I can live with it.

The second issue also relates to traffic and the areas I drive most frequently - is the Z just too much car for it? There are very very few opportunities to "let her rip" around here unless you are out at 2 am or want to drive an hour out of the city. And even my 8 second to sixty current car can get going smartly off the line, it only feels a bit sluggish on the highway. Would I be able to use enough of the capacity of a 4.3 second car to make it worthwhile taking on the extra cost, etc.? Possibly the considerably cheaper twins with their 6 second time and better outward visibility is a more appropriate choice, even though it is nowhere near as well styled, won't sound as good, and lacks the rev-matching MT I want. Going to sit in a new GR86 today at the dealership to check it out.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Interesting. Please keep us updated on your thought process.
I just checked out a few POV 370Z driving videos where I could see where the camera was mounted on the drivers' foreheads, and that has somewhat alleviated my concern about the forward sightlines. I wasn't so much concerned about seeing the road, it was the claustrophobic effect of having a very low roofline, the resulting low windshield cuts off all your view of the sky which I hate. The Camaro is terrible for this, I could not even see the traffic lights when right at the front of an intersection.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
If the markups are so ridiculous...I'm out. Like I said my plan b are the GR86/BRZ. The dealerships in my area have these at msrp believe it or not. I've been very tempted just to go for it because it seems the Z is going to be a pain in the ass to get. But I'll be patient and see what happens.

Last edited:

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
If it's not competitive on performance and price in AU, or if it consistently receives poor reviews, I'll probably look elsewhere.

The price of cars here is getting a bit crazy, so I'm definitely waiting for confirmed AU pricing with bated breath

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Waiting toward the end of 2022 to see if I have enough brownie points to cash in... lol.