What will stop you from owning the new Z?

Lvckv69

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 911
price is the leading factor if I should purchase this car. if the car hits close to $50-60k I'm buying a more exotic "premium" car. I wish they can stay within their ballpark of $36-38k for base models. the C8 is a monster of a car for that price tag pulling 11 secs in a 1/4 mile and everywhere seems to be sold out of them. follow by example, sell for cheaper than your competitors and flood the market with these beautiful cars. it will be great advertisement for Nissan to have as many cars on the streets as there are Teslas nowadays. People buy Teslas because they're now affordable and everyone has it. Be affordable and you will rise to the TOP! just my 2 cents
If they go with that route, again, the new Z will be another fail in the U.S market. I remember when the 370z came out, people were buying Mustangs GT, Camaros, SRT8's left and right because they offered more horsepower, leather, gadgets, etc. and the price was cheaper. One of the reasons why you see them a lot on the streets. The Supra is selling well despite the huge markups on these cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Z falls in the Supra category

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If they go with that route, again, the new Z will be another fail in the U.S market. I remember when the 370z came out, people were buying Mustangs GT, Camaros, SRT8's left and right because they offered more horsepower, leather, gadgets, etc. and the price was cheaper. One of the reasons why you see them a lot on the streets. The Supra is selling well despite the huge markups on these cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Z falls in the Supra category
I agree that high price on the Z would be a bummer, but I gotta disagree about the American coupes.

1st off, a Z is a 2 seater. That's a huge consideration for a customer and a huge limiting factor for sales. In most cases, a Z or Miata is either a lifestyle car for a single or no-kids owner, or a discretionary add to a fleet that already has more usable vehicles. This also drives the cost per Z up a bit, there's not enough being sold, due to bigger issues than price, to reduce costs.

2nd...those American coupes end up going to people with poor credit far more than the Z could. There's a couple reasons behind that, one being incentives from American brands are usually far higher than the Z gets, some financing options allow for poor credit to keep the iron moving, ESPECIALLY Dodge brand vehicles. I'd wager the majority of financed new Dodges are to sub-prime customers. Additionally, the American coupes do actually get bought and resold by car rental companies, who'd never put a Z on the lot (they did rent Q60's for a few years though....) and relatively new American coupes end up at low-credit car lots , so you may see a lot of these cars driving around, that look new but may in fact be 2nd hand.

Lvckv69

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 911
I agree that high price on the Z would be a bummer, but I gotta disagree about the American coupes.

1st off, a Z is a 2 seater. That's a huge consideration for a customer and a huge limiting factor for sales. In most cases, a Z or Miata is either a lifestyle car for a single or no-kids owner, or a discretionary add to a fleet that already has more usable vehicles. This also drives the cost per Z up a bit, there's not enough being sold, due to bigger issues than price, to reduce costs.
The 2 seater was not a deal breaker for the Z. Look at the Corvette sales by year. Sold twice as much as the Z, every single year and it is a 2 seater and is a lot more expensive. Car enthusiasts have always been more interested in V8's. If Nissan were to put a V8 in the new Z I guarantee you that the new Z will sell like cupcakes. The 370z didn't do well simply because lack of power and more expensive than the competitors.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The 2 seater was not a deal breaker for the Z. Look at the Corvette sales by year. Sold twice as much as the Z, every single year and it is a 2 seater and is a lot more expensive. Car enthusiasts have always been more interested in V8's. If Nissan were to put a V8 in the new Z I guarantee you that the new Z will sell like cupcakes. The 370z didn't do well simply because lack of power and more expensive than the competitors.
The Corvette is a cultural icon, and you buy a Corvette usually without cross-shopping anything else. We all know the stereotypes about Corvette owners, at least through the C7. I would think the new C8 has way more cross-shoppers than before, seeing as how it somewhat escapes the typical Corvette stereotypes and aspires to be closer to supercar status. But now with the new C8 experiencing STEEP ADMs and gradual MSRP increases, I don't see how it can even be compared to a new Z.

When you mentioned what cars you thought people were buying instead of a 370Z, you didn't mention the Corvette.
The 2 seater absolutely does cause issues for the 370Z, it sits in a price range with what are essentially mid/full-size coupes, it probably suffers from high insurance also, the Z is really a tiny car as far as usable space goes...you don't think that's another reason an American coupe would sell more than a Z?. And I totally stand by why those other cars do better. You think it's because they perform better? Seriously think every V8 Challenger performs better than a Z? Or the fact most of these cars on the roads are base-engine models? Most of those cars are V6 or Turbo 4. A 370Z still performs better than those base engine cars.

Lvckv69

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 911
The Corvette is a cultural icon, and you buy a Corvette usually without cross-shopping anything else. We all know the stereotypes about Corvette owners, at least through the C7. I would think the new C8 has way more cross-shoppers than before, seeing as how it somewhat escapes the typical Corvette stereotypes and aspires to be closer to supercar status. But now with the new C8 experiencing STEEP ADMs and gradual MSRP increases, I don't see how it can even be compared to a new Z.

When you mentioned what cars you thought people were buying instead of a 370Z, you didn't mention the Corvette.
The 2 seater absolutely does cause issues for the 370Z, it sits in a price range with what are essentially mid/full-size coupes, it probably suffers from high insurance also, the Z is really a tiny car as far as usable space goes...you don't think that's another reason an American coupe would sell more than a Z?. And I totally stand by why those other cars do better. You think it's because they perform better? Seriously think every V8 Challenger performs better than a Z? Or the fact most of these cars on the roads are base-engine models? Most of those cars are V6 or Turbo 4. A 370Z still performs better than those base engine cars.
Most v8's I see on the road are Camaro LT1's, SRT's, GT's, SRT8's, C7's, RS3's, etc. Most people who buy V8's buy it for enjoyment. All those cars I mentioned outperform the 370z in a straight line and curves. I don't know where you live but here in Miami they are not base models lol. I did enjoy a lot when I had my Z but I felt slow compared to other cars on the road and it is really hard to push high numbers. The new Supra with simply a e85 full tune and downpipes is already making 500hp in the rear. Let's see how the new Z will perform. Hopefully Nissan doesn't lock the ECU.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I don't know where you live but here in Miami they are not base models lol. I did enjoy a lot when I had my Z but I felt slow compared to other cars on the road and it is really hard to push high numbers. The new Supra with simply a e85 full tune and downpipes is already making 500hp in the rear. Let's see how the new Z will perform. Hopefully Nissan doesn't lock the ECU.
I live in the Seattle area, so every car is a base model, unfortunately. If you see an F Sport IS in traffic, it's always an IS250, ironic....
Lots of Prius and Foresters too.

I don't anticipate Nissan will do much to lock the ECU, I suspect it'll be along the same lines as the Q60. Tuners will just need a little time to unlock the newer revision.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO

I concur, the back seat is a huge piece of the puzzle. I was scared of losing a back seat when I made the jump from S14 to Z33 - I didn't regret it.

2nd...those American coupes end up going to people with poor credit far more than the Z could. There's a couple reasons behind that, one being incentives from American brands are usually far higher than the Z gets, some financing options allow for poor credit to keep the iron moving, ESPECIALLY Dodge brand vehicles. I'd wager the majority of financed new Dodges are to sub-prime customers. Additionally, the American coupes do actually get bought and resold by car rental companies, who'd never put a Z on the lot (they did rent Q60's for a few years though....) and relatively new American coupes end up at low-credit car lots , so you may see a lot of these cars driving around, that look new but may in fact be 2nd hand.
There is some truth the the credit angle but it's not the deciding factor, if that was the case the Camaro wouldn't be on life support - GM can't give that damned thing away and it's by far the best out of the Muscle Trinity IMO.

Marketing, image, HP numbers are why the Muscle Trinity is doing what it is.

The Dodge barges have the HP and can do straight line while sounding like Joe Dirt's wettest dreams and be comfortable with a 70's sized trunk out back - that's why they sell the way they do. True car guys are a dying breed, nobody gives a flip about handling and balance except us - the real ones. You think the folks that buy them know (let alone even care) they are riding on a 20+ year old Benz chassis?

Drive Dodge, put it in "Track" mode, tell me it doesn't put a smile on your face when you put your foot down and open it up.....I'd never own one but I understand why people are buying them.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
There is some truth the the credit angle but it's not the deciding factor, if that was the case the Camaro wouldn't be on life support - GM can't give that damned thing away and it's by far the best out of the Muscle Trinity IMO.
Most people like to see where they are going lol. When I test drove a current-gen Camaro I had to slouch down to see the traffic lights if I was the lead car at the intersection - and I am only 5'11".

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Anything performance package over 45k
when all the speculation started the base was gonna be $35k then add $5k to the higher trims or $10k for the highest.

after the reveal nissan said "around" $40k with some attending saying $38k starting...putting the higher trim at $43k if the $5k upgrade is still legit.

today i saw a vid where the nissan rep said "starting right at $40k".
this means the performance can be $5-10k more.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
I live in the Seattle area, so every car is a base model, unfortunately. If you see an F Sport IS in traffic, it's always an IS250, ironic....
Lots of Prius and Foresters too.

I don't anticipate Nissan will do much to lock the ECU, I suspect it'll be along the same lines as the Q60. Tuners will just need a little time to unlock the newer revision.
Release the kraken!

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
when all the speculation started the base was gonna be $35k then add $5k to the higher trims or $10k for the highest.

after the reveal nissan said "around" $40k with some attending saying $38k starting...putting the higher trim at $43k if the $5k upgrade is still legit.

today i saw a vid where the nissan rep said "starting right at $40k".
this means the performance can be $5-10k more.
For grins, I looked up the price difference for different trims for the 370 and the sport vs performance seems to be the same as the base vs sport-touring and the price difference there was about $8000. I'm hoping for not higher than $45,000, for the performance, though.

DarkPhysicx

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Mazda 3 Sport HB
Occupation
RN
Student loans, oh and the fact that my SSN was marked as deceased last year and my credit is still in limbo. It was at 780 now I'm at 0 or "not enough credit history"...yay me. Still figuring it out with the bureaus who are dragging to do anything! Other than that if it truly is significantly cheaper than the Supra then yes full send.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I'm sure you know about annualcreditreport.com to pull your Bureaus and make disputes there. By law, they must respond to each dispute within thirty days.

If you have no auto or mortgage history, prepare for huge down payment and high rate. Your max payment will be limited by your income.

Lvckv69

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 911
For grins, I looked up the price difference for different trims for the 370 and the sport vs performance seems to be the same as the base vs sport-touring and the price difference there was about $8000. I'm hoping for not higher than $45,000, for the performance, though.
You are not buying the new Z without paying dealer's markup lol. $50k off the lot.