What will stop you from owning the new Z?

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I used to do shoes back in the day too, stopped after the Red Octobers dropped.
Lego is where it’s at.
been putting together my kids old sets, already made over 2k, no boxes or anything ….some guy bought a Lego ship for $700 alone no box, and missing two pieces…..I’m just trying to get them out of my spare room!

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Lego is where it’s at.
been putting together my kids old sets, already made over 2k, no boxes or anything ….some guy bought a Lego ship for $700 alone no box, and missing two pieces…..I’m just trying to get them out of my spare room!
Me this evening digging through my kid's boxes and boxes of old Legos! :)

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Lego is where it’s at.
Oh I know, a few years back I wanted to try and get my favorite set from when I was a kid......Technic: Sky Ranger, nope.

Then I cried when I saw the cost of the Technic sets that were too much for my Mom back then.......Technic: Super Car

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Oh I know, a few years back I wanted to try and get my favorite set from when I was a kid......Technic: Sky Ranger, nope.

Then I cried when I saw the cost of the Technic sets that were too much for my Mom back then.......Technic: Super Car
Well, all my savaging and time consumed putting them back together to sell has all come apart in one millisecond. Because if one thing can eat your cash…it’s a dentist, and unfortunately the need to use them when things go south.
Bloody teeth and knees, what was god thinking🤣🤣

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I'm cross-posting this comment of mine below from an obscure thread about someone buying an old Miata because I think it's very relevant to this thread's topic and highlights an issue I raised earlier - the question of whether the new Z will just be too capable to enjoy in daily driving in an urban area given its now sky-high performance parameters:

The biggest issue I have with getting a Z is addressed in the thread linked below, in which a number of past and present owners of similarly high-powered cars talk about how they find them boring to drive in day-to-day life because their very high performance ceiling just can't be even approached without either driving dangerously and/or opening yourself up to serious legal jeopardy. The Miata, in their experience, is simply more fun because there are far more opportunities to safely hoon it given its much lower limits, and because it doesn't make driving at 60 MPH feel like you are doing 40 but rather that you're going 70+.​
I got a sense of what they are saying watching that recent clip of the Toyota engineer driving the Z in Vegas - one stomp on the gas and he was clearly going way past the legal limit in about 3 seconds. I want to see what the reviewers have to say about this issue, I hope they are not being limited to track driving at the event currently underway.​
Thoughtful thread, worth a read:​

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I'm cross-posting this comment of mine below from an obscure thread about someone buying an old Miata because I think it's very relevant to this thread's topic and highlights an issue I raised earlier - the question of whether the new Z will just be too capable to enjoy in daily driving in an urban area given its now sky-high performance parameters:

The biggest issue I have with getting a Z is addressed in the thread linked below, in which a number of past and present owners of similarly high-powered cars talk about how they find them boring to drive in day-to-day life because their very high performance ceiling just can't be even approached without either driving dangerously and/or opening yourself up to serious legal jeopardy. The Miata, in their experience, is simply more fun because there are far more opportunities to safely hoon it given its much lower limits, and because it doesn't make driving at 60 MPH feel like you are doing 40 but rather that you're going 70+.​
I got a sense of what they are saying watching that recent clip of the Toyota engineer driving the Z in Vegas - one stomp on the gas and he was clearly going way past the legal limit in about 3 seconds. I want to see what the reviewers have to say about this issue, I hope they are not being limited to track driving at the event currently underway.​
Thoughtful thread, worth a read:​
I echo post #29 on that Miata forum. Even today, it's way more fun to drive the old light 240Z around town than the big quiet muted Mustang GT, even though has about 1/2 the power. So much more engagement feeling the susp, hearing all the sounds, wakes up all the senses.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
I echo post #29 on that Miata forum. Even today, it's way more fun to drive the old light 240Z around town than the big quiet muted Mustang GT, even though has about 1/2 the power. So much more engagement feeling the susp, hearing all the sounds, wakes up all the senses.
I don't have as much of a long history of attachment to Z cars as I'm sure many here on the forum have, but now having bought a Miata, I really wonder what an alternate universe would have been like if Nissan went the "Miata ND route." What I mean by that is: until the ND, every subsequent version of the Miata got bigger and heavier and started straying further from its original feel and design (much like all s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ cars these days). The ND changed trajectory and went back to the compact, lightweight beginnings.

So instead of focusing on face-melting horsepower, what if Nissan made the car closer in size, weight, and spirit to the 240z. Basically, Nissan's version of Mazda's ND mission goals? I know that in The West, it wouldn't necessarily go over that well with people initially, as it's all about "Bigger is Better" here, but hey... just an interesting exercise in 'what if' scenarios...

Don't get me wrong tho, there is most definitely a place for high-horsepower performance and I'm not against it at all. Again, just wondering what a truly modern-day version of the 240Z would be like...

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
That reminds me... I gotta rent the restored 260Z that's on Turo! (listed as a 240z for visibility)

https://turo.com/blog/community/car-sharing-to-fund-a-classic-car-restoration

1651071933027.png

1651072095182.png
Interesting, didn't know you can put up your car for rent there on Turo. Wanna rent my RB26 240Z? ;) It's registered legal.

1651097133643.jpeg

1651097150650.jpeg

1651097169414.jpeg

1651097186911.jpeg

1651097199214.jpeg
In all seriousness, we're going to be out in LA this summer, definitely booking that 240 on Turo and @trackratZ don't tempt me with a good time, lol.