First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Anyone going to cross shop with the Supra?

No sir, not me. I had the chance to pick the Supra last year, but found 95% of the "fun" of the Supra in my S4, plus got the versatility of AWD & 4 seats and with a tune/exhaust/cheapo intake I'm at 395AWHP and 445AWTQ. Add to that, the Supra isn't really a Toyota, but more so a BMW, i felt the JDM soul is kind of lost in all the Euro pieces. Yes the car is fun to drive, but, after having a manual, RWD 2door that is JDM (370z), I can't get an Automatic Euro/JDM mix that is priced like an Euro. If the Supra had an evolution of the 2JZ, and was more Toyota then BMW, then I would say its a good Apples to Apples comparison against the 400z. Just my $.02.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Anyone going to cross shop with the Supra?
Nope. Because I sat in it. Never been in a car with such a horridly low greenhouse and abysmal outward visibility. It almost makes the Z's greenhouse feel like an AMC Pacer's by comparison.

Oh and also no because I looked at it.

SportsGT6M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i
If I didn't have a M240i auto, I might have considered the Supra 3.0 or M2 Comp. They are just too similar. A Z manual or a used Cayman/Boxster GTS PDK/manual are the only options I can think of. Keeping in mind the target of around 400hp, under 3300lbs, RWD, manual or dual clutch.... Are there cars I have not thought of??

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
I’m interested in the next gen Cayman if they bring the 4.0 throughout their entire line up. A manual S with 350 to 375hp would be perfect to me. Otherwise I’ll go with a Z. Nothing else really checks the boxes for me: two seater, RWD, manual, and an acceptable engine. Plus I have a soft spot for the Z.

bhamZ35

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I may end up waiting for more info on the Z as the blue interior is a nice plus, but the more I look at it, the exterior is a little plain.
The subtlety of the Z exterior is actually what I love about it. Most newer sports cars today have a million lines and angles to make them appear more aggressive, but to me it all looks cheesy.

pakmanz35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Infiniti G37xS
At one point I was looking into a F30 340i. I went to Carmax and test drove one and the power of the B58 was fun, but since I keep my cars for a long time I decided against it because of negative perception of German reliability.

I also was looking into a 2017-18 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, but because of Covid the prices of the used ones are close to $40K. Not willing to pay that much for a 3-4 year old Camaro even though it's a great car.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I’m interested in the next gen Cayman if they bring the 4.0 throughout their entire line up. A manual S with 350 to 375hp would be perfect to me. Otherwise I’ll go with a Z. Nothing else really checks the boxes for me: two seater, RWD, manual, and an acceptable engine. Plus I have a soft spot for the Z.
If Porsche does go back to a boxer 6 of any type you can bet they will use it as an excuse to push Boxsyer/Cayman prices even higher. Well equipped they are going to be double the cost of a Z.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
If Porsche does go back to a boxer 6 of any type you can bet they will use it as an excuse to push Boxsyer/Cayman prices even higher. Well equipped they are going to be double the cost of a Z.
I agree. Right now there is a $15k difference between the base price of GTS 4.0 at $87k and a S. Depending how many years it takes Porsche to launch, that will probably grow to $90k and $75k for of this generation. I don’t think the gap between the outgoing GTS and incoming S will shrink to less than $10k, so maybe a $80k start on the S plus limit oneself to $10k in options for $90k is pretty good value in the Porsche world. Considering the 911 pricing being so high. Compared to a loaded Z hopefully near $50k, that seems fair to me for the prestige, engineering, and build quality differences (if one ignores the current 4.0 recall haha).

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
Its very different than the Z but the Lexus IS500 coming with the 472HP V8...probably too expensive though and limited production

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S (EQT stg 1)
Occupation
Gambler
I would be buying a Toyota Yaris GR, however I live in the US. Toyota dropped the ball over here. We have a huge market for a sub 40k AWD hot hatch. I don’t think they realize how many units they would have sold in NA. Anyways, I digress...

I would be looking at a Subaru WRX STi (hatch) but they don’t make that anymore, and I I’m still considering a Honda CTR or VW GTI/R.

But, if Nissan Doesn’t completely drop the the ball on this one. I will buying a 400Z. I have wanted a Z for about 20 plus years. Now is a good of a time as any!

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
At one point I was looking into a F30 340i. I went to Carmax and test drove one and the power of the B58 was fun, but since I keep my cars for a long time I decided against it because of negative perception of German reliability.

I also was looking into a 2017-18 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, but because of Covid the prices of the used ones are close to $40K. Not willing to pay that much for a 3-4 year old Camaro even though it's a great car.
Dang straight. I almost pulled the trigger on a new 18 SS a couple summers ago and I thought it was a bit overpriced at mid-40's then, but what really turned me off was the tiny trunk opening since it would have been a daily driver for me. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards a Challenger again and may pass on the Z. Plus my dad thinks I should stick with an American car too.

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Dang straight. I almost pulled the trigger on a new 18 SS a couple summers ago and I thought it was a bit overpriced at mid-40's then, but what really turned me off was the tiny trunk opening since it would have been a daily driver for me. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards a Challenger again and may pass on the Z. Plus my dad thinks I should stick with an American car too.
Challenger is Canadian, I mean technically it's American, I guess, technically lol.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Yeah, the Brampton plant is actually about an hour drive into Canada but the Challenger is considered American muscle car. Funny thing is I heard they have suspended orders for Scat Packs for the Canadians at the moment to give the US first dibs I think due to the shortages of chips and parts.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
If the 400Z 'Track pkg' pricing comes close to a Z51 C8, that will be a close call. Nissan needs to keep it well below, at an ideal $50K or less. I already have a Mazdaspeed Miata, light weight and just enough turbo power it's a blast of a car on street and track...go-kart nimbleness. We need it on the 400Z, keep the weight down.