What does everyone do for a living?

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
I am a software engineer in electronic design automation industry for 30 yrs.
Our company develops software that helps chip companies (like Apple, nVidia, etc.) design chips.

theboosh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
XV
Airline pilot (international). I’m outta work due to COVID, so am doing a temporary job in IT (Cognos authoring) until flying comes back. Haven’t ever done anything to do with it before or data analytics etc!

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
CNC machinist in the military aerospace industry.

If it's military and it's flying, I probably made a part/tool for it. Just four days ago we shipped out a bunch of F35 stuff out.

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
That sounds like a cool job
It's alright most of the time, it definitely keeps you mentally sharp, but like everything with deadlines it can get very stressful, and you can definitely be caught by surprise by a dimension that you somehow glazed right over.

But it's my career and I honestly wouldn't trade it for an office job or anything similar to that.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
CNC machinist in the military aerospace industry.

If it's military and it's flying, I probably made a part/tool for it. Just four days ago we shipped out a bunch of F35 stuff out.
thank you for your service.

first real job i had was to become a machinist as soon as i got out of high school. went on to tool & die, then cnc and finally mold maker.
was the foreman or shop supervisor at 3 of the 4 shops i worked at. i was in the industry for over 21 years.

one of the companies i worked for was a military sub-contractor. got to make all kinds of cool parts for planes, submarines or r&d stuff.
great career to be in. people do not realize how intricate and precise things have to be. it would blow minds...