Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what the average of both should be. I know some places with higher climates can change all that.

I have a range of 204-214F just idling. Albeit, today was like 93F. But speaking to someone else, they had hotter humid temps and his readings were much lower than mine.

Is there anything I can look at?

Checked my levels, looks good. Not sure if I’m missing anything else?

IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what the average of both should be. I know some places with higher climates can change all that.

I have a range of 204-214F just idling. Albeit, today was like 93F. But speaking to someone else, they had hotter humid temps and his readings were much lower than mine.

Is there anything I can look at?

Checked my levels, looks good. Not sure if I’m missing anything else?

IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg
Driving around San Diego today at sea level and maybe 70 to 75 ambient temperature, my oil temp was 195, and my water temp was 18x, so that seems cooler than yours, but then it wasn't 93 outside.

I actually think humidity doesn't matter for oil and water temp. These are closed systems, right? So atmospheric humidity shouldn't enter the equation.

Was the car complaining that it was overheating? I kinda think if the car doesn't complain, you're good.

PXL_20230705_222633276.jpg

OP
OP
Go2ZZZ

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Driving around San Diego today at sea level and maybe 70 to 75 ambient temperature, my oil temp was 195, and my water temp was 18x, so that seems cooler than yours, but then it wasn't 93 outside.

I actually think humidity doesn't matter for oil and water temp. These are closed systems, right? So atmospheric humidity shouldn't enter the equation.

Was the car complaining that it was overheating? I kinda think if the car doesn't complain, you're good.

PXL_20230705_222633276.jpg
Car may not be complaining per say. But it’s not normal while I’m idling to fluctuate the way it does (water temp) it was usually around the half way point. But not sure why it was creeping up so high.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Car may not be complaining per say. But it’s not normal while I’m idling to fluctuate the way it does (water temp) it was usually around the half way point. But not sure why it was creeping up so high.
I could see the temp rising at a stop as there is no forward motion to push air into the radiator. It's also possible that the cooling fan turning on and off could cause a fluctuation. Do you know if that's happening? To be honest, IDK if I've noticed the fan turning on/off in my car.
Screenshot_20230705-211725~2.png

OP
OP
Go2ZZZ

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I could see the temp rising at a stop as there is no forward motion to push air into the radiator. It's also possible that the cooling fan turning on and off could cause a fluctuation. Do you know if that's happening? To be honest, IDK if I've noticed the fan turning on/off in my car.
Screenshot_20230705-211725~2.png
Yes, I just got back from taking it for a night spin.

I topped up some coolant as it looked somewhat low. Then went out and noticed it was good. Hovering around the middle for both temps. But when I got home in drive it creeped back up closing in on the redline. So went out again , yes it cools back to normal when driving . So, I’m assuming it’s normal to creep up in temperatures that high when idling. Especially on hot days/nights.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, I just got back from taking it for a night spin.

I topped up some coolant as it looked somewhat low. Then went out and noticed it was good. Hovering around the middle for both temps. But when I got home in drive it creeped back up closing in on the redline. So went out again , yes it cools back to normal when driving . So, I’m assuming it’s normal to creep up in temperatures that high when idling. Especially on hot days/nights.
Do you know if your fan is coming on? Maybe that's what's broken? If you're driving all is good, but stopped it heats up.

OP
OP
Go2ZZZ

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you know if your fan is coming on? Maybe that's what's broken? If you're driving all is good, but stopped it heats up.
I hear it turn on when it gets too hot around 101 Celsius (214F)

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'll watch my temps to see if I notice anything.

pectab

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Audi A4
My temp peaks at around 93C (199F) even at idle. The fan continues to run after I turn the car off to cool. Maybe you have a thermostat issue where fan kicks in too late?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Driving home from work tonight I saw water temps ranging from 181F to 192F, with no rhyme or reason as to why. Idling, moving, etc. didn't seem to corelate to the temperature.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Guys, don't want to be the mean one here but it sounds like you don't know how cooling systems work. What all of you are seeing is normal. You just aren't used to seeing it because normal gauges with a H at one end and a C at the other don't fluctuate (let's call it a built in dead zone) so that people don't freak out. This is why you might hear people say factory gauges aren't accurate.

The cooling system works in 2 ways. One is the thermostat. Once the engine warms up, it can't go below a certain temp thanks to the thermostat. Let's call that 180°f. Then you have your fans which are set to control it from over heating. Let's just say those pop on at 210°f. That means it's normal to fluctuate from 180-210 because it can't control anything between those numbers.

All cars do this. Again, it's the gauge causing the questions. If it was a normal gauge and not one that reads the temp down to 1° incrments, you wouldn't know its happening.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Guys, don't want to be the mean one here...
Not mean...instructive. I hadn't paid that.much attention before, and I was just offering a data point that mine fluctuates, too, although at a lower range than OP's, but it was probably only high 60s - low 70s here yesterday.

I'm not going to worry until it goes into the red and stays there or beeps a warning.

I could definitely see that temperature fluctuation is normal with the thermostat open/closed and the fan on/off. I just don't know by how much. It's also hard to know when the thermostat is open/closed and the fan is on/off (I've got the tunes playing).

Last edited: