Turbo wars

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I'm not totally against a hybrid powertrain but they need to come up with a way to make it affordable. The Z already has price issues compared to its competitors, let's not make the gap even worse.

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
NA is dead man walking at this point. I don't mind it so much especially if the Z35 is getting a 4 cylinder. Only way to get any power out of that would be turbo.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Turbo 4's can do some amazing things these days. Just look at what Ford has done with the Focus RS and Mustang. If even the Mustang is getting it, I doubt the Z35 will escape it. Still it can easily pump out 350+ horses, with an aggressive tune over 400+.

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Turbo 4's can do some amazing things these days. Just look at what Ford has done with the Focus RS and Mustang. If even the Mustang is getting it, I doubt the Z35 will escape it. Still it can easily pump out 350+ horses, with an aggressive tune over 400+.
Yea some of the biggest enthusiasts cars out there in recent years have been 4 cyl turbos. WRX STI and Mitsu EVO. Little monsters.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
Also the more sports cars that use the turbo 4's the more advanced these things will become.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
Yea some of the biggest enthusiasts cars out there in recent years have been 4 cyl turbos. WRX STI and Mitsu EVO. Little monsters.
Also the more sports cars that use the turbo 4's the more advanced these things will become.
No doubt they've gotten much better over the years and are starting to be in every car manufacturer's lineup, but physics is physics, they will still never have the linearity and smoothness of a naturally breathing 6 or 8 cylinder engine. And you can never fully dial out turbo lag. Best you can do is have some kind of 'lag filler' like the Mclaren P1 has where the electric motor provides the torque while the turbo spools up. But of course that's a 1+ million dollar car.

Anyways no use in me crying about it. Turbo 4's are almost definitely coming to the Z.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
I'm not sure why everyone is so turned off by it. Turbo 4's are a ton of fun if you've ever driven one. Lighter, better weight distribution, nice torque band and better mpg's. If you want more HP just get a tune. What is not to like?

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
I'm not sure why everyone is so turned off by it. Turbo 4's are a ton of fun if you've ever driven one. Lighter, better weight distribution, nice torque band and better mpg's. If you want more HP just get a tune. What is not to like?
Turbo lag and bad exhaust sound are two big downsides to turbo setups usually. Plus the Z has had a NA 6 cyl so it's gonna take some getting used to seeing a Z with a turbo 4.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
Turbo lag is pretty minimal in modern day turbos and exhaust sound can be fixed easily with the aftermarket. Some of the Fiat 500 Abarth ones sound really good not just for a 4 cylinder but in general.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
Turbo lag is pretty minimal in modern day turbos and exhaust sound can be fixed easily with the aftermarket. Some of the Fiat 500 Abarth ones sound really good not just for a 4 cylinder but in general.
I agree that turbo engines have a come a LONG way but lag is lag no matter how minimal. And have you heard a 4 cyl exhaust that sounds as good as a great sounding V8 exhaust? I haven't. You can only overcome so much physics.

This will really be interesting to see if the Z35 comes with a turbo (I'd bet on that) but also how many cylinders.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
I agree that turbo engines have a come a LONG way but lag is lag no matter how minimal. And have you heard a 4 cyl exhaust that sounds as good as a great sounding V8 exhaust? I haven't. You can only overcome so much physics.

This will really be interesting to see if the Z35 comes with a turbo (I'd bet on that) but also how many cylinders.
It'll come with a turbo 100% guaranteed. First off, the GT-R is turbo'd so Nissan has no problems going forced induction on their sports cars.

But also because 1) no way the Z35 gets a V8, 2) which means it will get a 6 or a 4 cylinder and 3) no way it gets a naturally aspirated V6 (nobody is making these anymore), so it will either be a turbo 4 or turbo 6 that the Z35 gets.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

If they put two smaller turbos on the engine and pair it with lightweight crankshaft, the engine could have next to zero lag.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
I don't hear many people complain about turbo lag anymore. It's mostly a thing of the past.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
I don't hear many people complain about turbo lag anymore. It's mostly a thing of the past.
It's there if you look for it but it's nothing like back in the day. There's all kinds of neat tricks now to help reduce it tho. BMW M3/M4 pre-spool the turbos to keep them spinning so that there's even better throttle response and minimal lag. There's also futuristic cars like the Mclaren P1 and BMW i8 that uses an electric motor to fill in the gap before the turbos full spool up so you never feel any lag.

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
I haven't driven a turbo car in ages. It used to be a full few seconds before the turbo kicked in, i'm sure any modern turbo engine will be vastly improved than what i remember.