Toyota GR 86 vs Nissan Z

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I’m hopeful about the new Z addressing the 370z’s short comings. I recently had a chance to drive a friends Boss 302 mustang. Amazing car all around, but I came away feeling like the steering was numb / vague and the chassis was less communicative then my Z. At the limit it felt much more sure footed then my Z though.

That experience showed me that the Z generally has a good chassis but I think the suspension needs some real tuning to be competitive. Small things like a real LSD to put power down better, improve the clutch feel, improved damping, etc would go a long way. It seems like those are specifically addressed with the new Z. I’m hopeful that with “Mr GTR” being in charge on the new Z Nissan can turn it into a 10/10ths car.
I really hope you are correct, and I agree there are reasons for confidence given who's involved and what they have said so far. They've got good bones to work with - lots of aluminum in the chassis, new clutch-type LSD, and those double wishbones up front and the multi-link rear. If a good portion of the development budget went to tuning we could be looking at a great-handling car. (Of course one could argue that Nissan should have done this tuning years ago on the 370Z to make it more competitive over the past several years.)

I am a bit worried that the great steering feel I recall from my 370Z test drives will be lost as a result of switching to EPS, but the response given by one of the lead engineers when asked about that was reassuring, it is getting close attention.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I liked the 1st gen Toyobaru, it truly is the closest thing to a "S16" that ever came after 2002 but I have the same problem with it that everyone does - lack of power. Add to that the motors tend to pop after you add boost just makes it all the more frustrating.

The 2nd gen Toyobaru seems to be a perfected 1st gen (think 350Z vs 370Z) but again, lack of power....even more so due to the fact the motor in Toyobaru II is actually the exact same 2.4L turbo boxer from the new Scooby SUVs and the upcoming STi (but with the Turbo ripped off)

They want to protect STi sales, I get it.......but give us the choice on if we want a Turbo in a Coupe, SUV, Crossover or an AWD hopped up econobox.

Personally, I'd pick the Coupe.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
That shot of the Z with the GR86 offers a great comparison of the windshield area for the two cars, the forward visibility out of the GR86 is so much better. Looks like the Z's is maybe even a step back from the 370.

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Overview
1647446590344-png.png

Performance Specs
1647446645088-png.png

Fuel and MPG
1647446726857-png.png

Dimensions and Measurements
1647446778874-png.png

1647447069795-png.png

Wheels and Suspension
1647446929756-png.png

V35

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G35
I would say both the 86 and Z will be good sports cars and could be equal if you break it down to horsepower per dollar

kwantum_shift

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I would say both the 86 and Z will be good sports cars and could be equal if you break it down to horsepower per dollar
Donut Media recently did a video about HP/$

Darth Zed

First Name
Alon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32, CT200h
Occupation
Insurance broker
I’m getting the 6MT but I thought the new Z’s AT was an optional 9-speed, not 7?

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I'm tempted, but my local dealer is asking $35k for one.

V35

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G35
For me some plus for the 86 is that it has backseats and maintenance and upkeep will probably be less since its NA

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
i kinda like the fact that the Z is a two seater. i dont have kids and i have a truck if i need to haul anything. also the greenhouse on a lot of 2+2 look bigger/chunky.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ It's all personal choice of course. The rear seats in most 2+2 sports cars are basically useless as actual seats (except for small kids), especially the one behind the driver if they are tall or long-legged, but those extra seats do make the cabin bigger so feels more roomy and less claustrophobic than a 2-seater sports car. Also being able to put the back seats down to give more boot/trunk space can be handy.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
At this rate the 86 may end up being my go-to. I have a feeling the Performance trim is going to be bumped up too high by Nissan, for an ancient chassis and a "seasoned" motor.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
At this rate the 86 may end up being my go-to. I have a feeling the Performance trim is going to be bumped up too high by Nissan, for an ancient chassis and a "seasoned" motor.
That's basically my plan as well since I have no faith that I'm getting the Z....even though I finally got an email from the manager at my local Nissan for a deposit lol.