Toyota GR 86 vs Nissan Z

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
How is it that they are able to make that tiny 86 a 2+2 but the longer Z is only a 2 seater?

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
How is it that they are able to make that tiny 86 a 2+2 but the longer Z is only a 2 seater?
The 86's longer wheelbase probably plays a big part. Plus there is no need for backseats when there is the G/Q60 coupe.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
In Aus the 86 is what all the teenage boys drive that can’t quite afford the Z.
You can pick up a 2020 86 for $44000, a 370 2020 will set you back $51500, and a 2020 Nismo still around $75000
And it shows with the 86 far outnumbering all the Nissan Zs put together on our roads.

I think second hand there were only 3 370z 2020 builds to buy on our biggest second hand dealer website ( which covers the whole of Australia)

This is my one question mark over buying ANY new car. My car is one of one in my state, and I believe one of 3 in black in the whole country. To get the Z I have to sell the RCZ which I am going to do…but it’s going to be hard

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Looks OK but I find the 400Z more appealing. If Nissan addresses the 370's deficiencies it will be amazing.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
If only the BRZ/86 came out with a turbo, I would own one. Good cars, just wish they had more power
The BRZ was probably one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, I'll have to test drive the Z and the 86/BRZ.
But knowing myself.....I'm probably gonna turbo the 86/BRZ anyways so the Z just makes more sense to me
i can totally see toyota & subaru upping their game if the z really starts starts to effect their sales.

a new trim model adding a turbo to the current engine would be reletively easy for them to do. heck the new motor going in the new wrx or the turbo 2.0 liter fb20d in it's out going model could be used.

the 86/brz is lighter than the z and if they can keep the price below the z base it could swing sales back in toyota/subarus favor.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
The GR86 North American first drive reviews drop tomorrow.

There were things I preferred about the twins over the 370Z after test drives - the lighter weight made them feel more agile, they have more storage space, and outward visibility was better. But the engine sounded like shite and their mid-range torque dip made highway pulls s-l-o-w if you didn't downshift to get the RPMs into the stratosphere. And not having rev-matching on the MT was a big negative for me. I thought Toyota might bring it to the new generation 86, as they've already put it into some MT Corollas, but no...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I think it will be a while until Z reviews are released. That's the way things are now. Nissan probably dragging it's feet hoping the chip shortage improves.

I think driving reviews will show a modest evolution in chassis performance due to being a reused Z34 chassis.... So if you have serious issues with the current Z, don't expect big improvements.
The biggest improvements will be in power, interior and exterior aesthetics and infotainment. I expect mpg to improve significantly also.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Nice looking car but no Power.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Last edited:

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Like every year since the BRZ came out and now the Supra, everyone bashes on the Z/Nissan. Being realistic, Nissan IS NOT in ANY financial standing to create a car from the ground up, especially a sports car. Toyota, with its insane bottom line didn't even make a car themselves. They partnered with Subaru and BMW to do so. So, obviously the cars out of those partnerships will be better than what Nissan can do by itself. MB-Nissan partnership didn't turn out well, so don't think anyone else wants to jump into bed w/Nissan.

Give each car its credit and judge them on FLAT metrics. BRZ is a really good, fun sub $30k car. Downsides; Terribly loud and uncomfortable, w/cheap creature comforts. Supra; amazing engine and tuning possibilities. Bad? Reskinned Z4 with cheap Toyota interior backed by BMW pricing.. And no, I'm not a Z fanboy. I flipped to the German side myself so I can speak from outside perspective ; Plus my brother has a BRZ, nicely modded, so got that experience as well.

With people questioning the price of the new Z? Just get the BRZ or Supra. I personally don't want to spend $55k on a Bupra, i'd rather buy a 6MT M2/M3, and I'm not a fan of the sounds/lack of comfort of BRZ. Drove couple mustangs, too big, and I'd rather have a GT350 if anything, but not a fan of the old interior. Challenger..nah, too big, too floaty, too diluted. So there's nothing left aside from Z. WRX STI, nah, don't need a tuner 4 door since I already have S4.

Z_Coastal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Audi TT S Line Coupe
No turbo, cheap interior, weak tech. These are my issues with the twins (as a prospective DD)

Last edited: