First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
The 86 is closer to the Z than the Z is to the Supra...
(@33:52)
Yeah, but that's missing loads of context.

In this situation, with the (admittedly small) upgrades they made to it, the GR86 was closer to the Z's track time than the Z was to the Supra's. Let's not generalize it to say that the cars are even in the same stratosphere in terms of speed and acceleration - they even say as much like 30 seconds later. I think that what West Aussie was referencing, there.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
The 86 is closer to the Z than the Z is to the Supra...
(@33:52)
OUCH.

In this situation, with the (admittedly small) upgrades they made to it, the GR86 was closer to the Z's track time than the Z was to the Supra's. Let's not generalize it to say that the cars are even in the same stratosphere in terms of speed and acceleration - they even say as much like 30 seconds later. I think that what West Aussie was referencing, there.
That's still a painful thing to hear about a $50k+ sports car vs a $30k sports car on track, especially when the Z's price is closer to the Supra vs the 86.

jdrxb9

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ND2

One out of context 'quote' (WA's) deserves another (mine) :)

more words :): Simply dismissing the 86 in a one liner isn't right - It is not a straightforward comparison at all and the 86 has a lot going for it ("the 86 is a much more like driver's car feel" - right after the acceleration comment) even without considering the price differences. To each their own.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management

more words :): Simply dismissing the 86 in a one liner isn't right - It is not a straightforward comparison at all and the 86 has a lot going for it ("the 86 is a much more like driver's car feel" - right after the acceleration comment) even without considering the price differences. To each their own.
Exactly right - sports car ownership largely comes down to feel.

It's a game of priorities within priorities on top of sacrifices on top of considerations of the heart. I don't track my cars (my one car is my daily, and it will always be a sports car) so that particular aspect of the GR86's performance vs the Z's, while slightly alarming, doesn't move the needle for me.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance

Maybe got paid to say it? Who knows

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Y'all only say the 86 is "close" to the Z because it suits a very narrow point.

That 86 was running upgraded tires, pads and fluids and was carrying more speed through the corners than even the BMW.

So, go buy it. Me, personally, I couldn't drive a NA 4 cylinder in traffic. I've been spoiled by boost, V6's and V8's. Where I drive, which is not on a track, ever, the Z is far more desirable than the 86. I deal with stop and go, short on-ramps, difficult left turns and would prefer more power, not to race everyone, but to have a more enjoyable experience with a vehicle that makes strong, confident power.

Even in the video they said that the 86 gets absolutely slaughtered in the straights, and they can't see any amount of tuning, turbo kit and/or cracking the engine open, helping the 86 be as quick as either the BMW or the Z.

I just find it disingenuous to take the only metric the 86 would prevail at and somehow suggest that it's "close" to the Z. Oh yeah? Take them onto a track with longer straights.

Very few people take any of these cars on a track, let alone bomb around town looking for maximum G's on public streets. If that's you and you want to only spend $32k, 86 is a great choice.

jdrxb9

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ND2
Show me where anyone said the 86 is close to the Z (which was also running upgraded tires, pads, and fluid).
As I said, to each their own.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
That 86 can corner way better because of much less weight, better tires AND limited power, think Miata. Put 400hp in it and it wonā€™t be as finesse. The twins are not in the same league when pushed 8-10/10ths without power upgrades. No way around that. Price is the only thing going for it. And price is the huge issue with the new Z for what it is.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
The biggest take away from this video is that choosing one or the other is driver preference.

The Z does seem more user friendly for daily driving and the Supra is more of an excitement hold on to your butts type of ride.

They both cater to a unique driving style. I would like to add a Z to my garage as a fun daily grocery getter type of car. It has that cool retro vibe and better visibilty.

And if Iā€™m feeling spicy then the Supra will come out and go Scat Pack hunting. šŸ˜ˆ

-RJM

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Me, personally, I couldn't drive a NA 4 cylinder in traffic. I've been spoiled by boost, V6's and V8's. Where I drive, which is not on a track, ever, the Z is far more desirable than the 86. I deal with stop and go, short on-ramps, difficult left turns and would prefer more power, not to race everyone, but to have a more enjoyable experience with a vehicle that makes strong, confident power.
Yeah, that's where I fall on the matter.

I just... I just can't drive a car every day that would routinely be embarrassed on a freeway ramp by any 2010s commuter sedan with a respectably-powerful V6. But, as jdrxb9 mentioned, it's really down to individual priorities. We've all got our pressure points, I guess.