First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
well its a game so toyota says oh yea the hp is 382 and then the brand X comes in going ha our car is 400 hp but then brand Y is opps we fudged the numbers its really almost 390 to the wheels my bad, same thing happened in the early 2000 with the srt-4 dodge said it was 215 or what ever but i was dynoing close to 240 and the cobalt ss was to go head to head with it

Last edited:

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
well its a game so toyota says oh yea the hp is 382 and then the brand X comesin going ha are car is 400 hp but then brand why is opps we fudged the numbers its really almost 390 to the wheels my bad, same thing happened in the early 2000 with the srt-4 dodge said it was 215 or what ever but i was dynoing close to 240 and the cobalt ss was to go head to head with it

What i never understood from Nissan is they knew BMW plays this game. The dynos were out for 2 years- 385 at the WHEELS

You promised us 400hp- BUT looks like that is crank hp. Why? Why not provide 400 wheel HP?

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
What i never understood from Nissan is they knew BMW plays this game. The dynos were out for 2 years- 385 at the WHEELS

You promised us 400hp- BUT looks like that is crank hp. Why? Why not provide 400 wheel HP?
maybe they thought 400 crank was enough, i mean its 20x better than the 370z but i guess nissan doesnt cruise the forums like us lol they saw 385 and go aha we got them now

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Let's wait for more objective testing, see if there is consistency, but so far pretty disappointing. Plus nudging $60K or more for a slightly more powerful warmed up 370Z, not good, just not enough content.

I think Nissan knew it can't compete directly with the Supra, but can in the areas of ergonomics, livability, cargo carrying, street dynamics. Those alone will sell to the masses that have to commute, weekend cruises, etc.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
Let's wait for more objective testing, see if there is consistency, but so far pretty disappointing. Plus nudging $60K or more for a slightly more powerful warmed up 370Z, not good, just not enough content.

I think Nissan knew it can't compete directly with the Supra, but can in the areas of ergonomics, livability, cargo carrying, street dynamics. Those alone will sell to the masses that have to commute, weekend cruises, etc.
Smaller but taller trunk tho, no? Or am I totally off the mark here?

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management

I agree that the Z is likely more daily-livable than the Supra (I daily a 370, so it'll be similar in that regard) but I just keep coming back to the price, which you alluded to. Man, I really think that is part of the reason that people, myself included, have been more inclined to harshness re the new model - it just seems too expensive for what it is.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I agree that the Z is likely more daily-livable than the Supra (I daily a 370, so it'll be similar in that regard) but I just keep coming back to the price, which you alluded to. Man, I really think that is part of the reason that people, myself included, have been more inclined to harshness re the new model - it just seems too expensive for what it is.
I'm with you. I mean, if the Z comes with adaptive dampers (greatest need), better brakes, tires, seats (Recaros?) heck I'd be in line for one at that price point. It will be a complete proper 'sports car' package, not just a GT car.

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
I don't think any reasonable Z enthusiast ever said that.

BMW is very hard to beat. Only a moron would think a company that makes Leafs and Rogues could make a car that beats BMW at it's own game. GT-R doesn't count due to it's price bracket
lol what a convenient bs to say. nissan has one of the richest performance history with nismo. gtr was beating sht out of bmw when it was released, in both accel and price. i also would be happy to see what you ll say if/when nismo version will be more powerful than 397bhp and around supra pricešŸ˜‚

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
Kudos on the vid lads.

Can someone more knowledgeable in the matter than I, explain to me why Toyota/BMW settle for the advertised 382HP when it's substantially higher?

What's the thought process behind that?

Pretty full on hearing the Supras power plant being pushed to 650hp without a sweat broken but anything over 550hp for the Z (I'll have to rewatch to confirm) being a gamble as old mate Tuner said.

But the Supras visibility and liveability in general don't do much for me. Nor does the disconnect as far as driver input and vehicle response.

Still feeling the Z is the go. I'm no pro driver and achieving results at the very boundaries of performance just won't apply to me personally.
yeah but i guess VR38 swap is really the way to go to punish supras. Fosberg already did that, i wonder if they gonna produce engine mounts for the Z

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
lol what a convenient bs to say. nissan has one of the richest performance history with nismo. gtr was beating sht out of bmw when it was released, in both accel and price. i also would be happy to see what you ll say if/when nismo version will be more powerful than 397bhp and around supra pricešŸ˜‚
Wow....

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
and what if the supra gets high pro version also then what, this is a game of what ifs, like what if they would of just done it right in the first place

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
and what if the supra gets high pro version also then what, this of a game of what ifs, like what if they would of just done it right in the first place
Yup, there's so much more on the table in the B58. BMW could probably program another 80hp into them without even upgrading any hardware.

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
With the ADMs Iā€™m reading about it in other threads itā€™s hard to justify the cost of getting a Z performance right now. Particularly when thereā€™s a competitor vehicle thatā€™s close in price and objectively a better sports car.

However, Z to me (like the Supra) is an emotional purchase. I just want it period, haters be damnedā€¦. as long as Iā€™m not going to get fleeced by dealer markups.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Yup, there's so much more on the table in the B58. BMW could probably program another 80hp into them without even upgrading any hardware.
Whereas it does definitely feel like the VR30 is significantly closer to its edge (while maintaining factory mechanical components), from what I've read. Granted, I am admittedly no longer into the tuning game so I'm absolutely not an authority on the matter. It simply seems like the engine in the Z is a nice, relatively reliable sports car powerplant and not ideal for aggressive builds (the open-deck is a factor, of course). Which is largely fine šŸ¤Ÿ