Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ Gee, I wonder which will be fastest?

Toss in the Miata/MX5 and you've got the four "low cost" main classes of road sports cars (only missing the expensive "supercars"). They're different powers, different prices, etc., so trying to compare them is rather silly.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Despite their price differences, I will be very interested to see how the fun factor compares between the Z and the GR86. Is the Z appreciably more fun for that extra $25-30k?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
^ Gee, I wonder which will be fastest?

Toss in the Miata/MX5 and you've got the four "low cost" main classes of road sports cars (only missing the expensive "supercars"). They're different powers, different prices, etc., so trying to compare them is rather silly.
It's not which will be the fastest, that's obvious the Supra will take it. The test is about which handles best on the test course, optimized by test rubber. It'll be good to see differences betw the RE71R shod Z and Supra similarly. The Hankook R-S4 is a great successor to the R-S3 (popular time attack 200tw), I won't be surprised if the GR86's great suspension and chassis will produce very close times to the other two.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It's not which will be the fastest, that's obvious the Supra will take it. The test is about which handles best on the test course, optimized by test rubber. It'll be good to see differences betw the RE71R shod Z and Supra similarly.
Awesome, didn't see that part about the two cars finally being on the same tire.

My prediction, the dated chassis of the Z won't be able to hang with the modern, sophisticated BMW chassis. Not a problem for me, but the interesting part will be Z vs. 86.....

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Isn't a Z only $9k more?
I thought the 86's start at $32k
I should have clarified I was talking CAD OTD pricing for the Performance MT (is anyone actually going to buy the Sport?), after 13% taxes and delivery it's about $40K for the GR86 vs. $68k for the Z. And that is without the 2-tone paint.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I should have clarified I was talking CAD OTD pricing for the Performance MT (is anyone actually going to buy the Sport?), after 13% taxes and delivery it's about $40K for the GR86 vs. $68k for the Z. And that is without the 2-tone paint.
Ugh, those taxes. We're pretty close here in WA State, my city is at 11%.

Also, I think the Sport Z is a closer competitor to the 86. Aside from the LSD issue.....

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Ugh, those taxes. We're pretty close here in WA State, my city is at 11%.

Also, I think the Sport Z is a closer competitor to the 86. Aside from the LSD issue.....
Yeah, 400 hp in a RWD car with no LSD in the winter - no thanks. Plus I really want that rev-matching feature.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Yeah, 400 hp in a RWD car with no LSD in the winter - no thanks. Plus I really want that rev-matching feature.
I have TruTrac in my truck.

Because it will make sure both rear wheels are spinning, it can be pretty exciting in bad weather. I gotta be real careful with the throttle, it can spin both tires easily and cause the rear to slide in the direction of the road slope/crown.

As much as I want the new Z, I have a Q60 AWD because the weather is bad enough here that powerful 2WD vehicles, with or without LSD, just don't get traction nearly 8 months a year.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ Well as I won't be commuting I can avoid the roads when snow is down, so TC with winter tires should be enough with the Z for me. Aren't RWD pickups more prone to traction issues due to their greater front end weight balance?

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Odd why not put decent Michelin's on all of them? It's down grading the Supra, not upgrading the Z. Most Z owners would buy better tires, most Supra owners wouldn't buy worse ones.
because people were shitting on the bridgestone tires on the Z. it will be a direct comparison to the supra since they are also using the tires people were shitting on to see if the performance actually goes down a notch