First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
And does anybody think that BMW is going to let Toyota offer the the Supra with the 3 liter M3/4 turbo engine (480 HP and 510 in Competition option)? No way.
The new Z will do very well on both price and performance.
No, but from what I heard a tune will give you at least these numbers pretty easy.

NJZGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z
Occupation
IT Technical Support
The Supra has better looking seats other than that, the 400Z wins.

Last edited:

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
I could take either, they both have different looks. I hope they keep the branding on on the tires - looks so much better for it.

Not a fan of the grill, but then the front of the Supra isn't fantastic either.

The Supra has better looking seats other than the, the 400Z wins.
If you happen to have leather Supra seats, that leather is thin and wears pretty quick. I'm at less than 12,000km and I've got wearing in the center and the left side of my drivers seat - kinda sucks.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
No, but from what I heard a tune will give you at least these numbers pretty easy.
Except that the M3/4 engine has a significantly different block, head, internals and more. And the driveline is also very different. You can always get big numbers, but making them reliably without crapping out the whole thing is a very different story. The Supra is already a very expensive car for BMW to build for Toyota... adding more cost to that is a difficult proposition. And then there is BMW's ego.
The Supra is essentially in a different class in the market... unless Nissan looks at it this way and prices the Z just below it rather than where the current Z is priced (which is still very high for the market).
I'll provide a personal example... G37S Stillen supercharged G37S to the left. Far more power to the wheels than the new Z will have, an absolute animal of an engine that was already all about breathing. However it's a rolling hand grenade because the internals are not purposefully designed for this (look at the GT-R engine for what I mean by purpose built internals). And 1 simple inherent fault brings it down repeatedly... an unreliable belt that drivers the 'charger and all the accessories.. that constantly breaks. The belt is an incredible PITA to change so the car can't be used on trips. So yes I'd rather have the factory twin-turbo 3.0 for reliability, even though it's much less powerful. And if I wanted to do a build-up, it's already stronger internally... to a point.

Last edited:

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
It’s from a video game. Neat but doesn’t mean anything.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
LOL. The guy keeps short-shifting the Z for some reason.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
So I went over to a Supra forum for the heck of it to see how much they would praise their car and see if any of them would consider the other cars I'm thinking about (Challenger, Mustang, SS, and Z). To my surprise I didn't even get one person that recommended the new Supra! They all said it was a re-badged BMW. I guess I knew that, but then again BMW's are pretty good I thought and the Z4 is what, at least 50k and closer to 60 with options? Maybe I didn't go to the right forum. It took me awhile to find any decent looking Supra forums with recent activity. Maybe I didn't use the correct search criteria?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I was at a track day last year, Auto Club Speedway, saw 4-5 Supras running, they were fast on the straights, it sure looks like again the published 335 hp is underrated, typical BMW specs, maybe closer to the Z4's hp rating.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
So I went over to a Supra forum for the heck of it to see how much they would praise their car and see if any of them would consider the other cars I'm thinking about (Challenger, Mustang, SS, and Z). To my surprise I didn't even get one person that recommended the new Supra! They all said it was a re-badged BMW. I guess I knew that, but then again BMW's are pretty good I thought and the Z4 is what, at least 50k and closer to 60 with options? Maybe I didn't go to the right forum. It took me awhile to find any decent looking Supra forums with recent activity. Maybe I didn't use the correct search criteria?
The BMW partnership/build made some people very butthurt. The sister of this forum (https://www.supramkv.com/) would be a more sane place to go.

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I have an 18 BMW M2 with 30K on it and I don't drive it hard. It has been at the dealership way too much and as soon as the Z is out its gone. I have zero in the bmw supra.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I've driven the A90 Supra, and it is a very very good car. I enjoyed it, but just couldn't get the thought of the cheap toyota pieces grouped with the BMWness of everything. Plus, i HATE the burbles that these bmws make; it just gets annoying. The thing is, if you were looking for the feeling of a MKIV supra successor, like the essence, then look somewhere else. Because majority of the car IS a rebadged BMW with the suspension/engine mapping from Toyota. Since everything else is a BMW, that's why people love it, since a slight variation of the engine has already been modded (M340I). And because of this ease of modding, and styling/name Supra, people will get it.

Not to knock BMW at all, amazing engines, performance etc, but...its not a real Toyota. This is why so many will hate the Z, because its not "buttoned up" like a Supra. Look at why people hate the GTR; its loud, old styling, has noises coming from everywhere (transmission, suspension). Everyone who hates the GTR will 9/10 get a European equivalent in a Porsche. Just my $.02.