most disappointing vehicle launch ever?

worse launch or lack thereof?

• Total voters

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
WRX.
Other than offering the wagon as a CVT only, and the hideous black wheel arch flares on the sedan- not offering an STi was a bullet to their brand, IMO.

*Story time.
My first car was a Hawkeye WRX, which I owned, loved and daily'd for 8 years.
I actually planned on buying a new STi this year- until June last year, when I found myself looking down the barrel of replacing a second EJ25 within 125xxxkm.
The disappointment I feel now, waiting for the new Z is nothing when compared to the disenfranchisement I feel with Subaru.
Yeah Im with you on this one. I bought a 2020 STI thinking it would hold me over for a few years until the sick new rumored 2023 STI would come out with 400hp etc, or id hop into a Nissan Z. Now the fucking STI is dead, the new wrx is hideous, and the Z is a myth lol!! Fantastic

Sam_AusZ32

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 JDM Fairlady Z32 TT, MT, 2+2
@Jah_Happy

Oh mate! My advice- get yourself the cheapest nugget you can find that'll hopefully tie you over til the Z arrives (I bought a $800 Mk4 Golf. 5sp manual, 1.6L N/A, 75kw of fury!!) 🤣

Yes, I always wondered how Subaru were going to produce a factory engine with 400hp, and not have them pop at least while still in warranty while still meeting emissions targets... Guess they answered that question.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
@Jah_Happy

Oh mate! My advice- get yourself the cheapest nugget you can find that'll hopefully tie you over til the Z arrives (I bought a $800 Mk4 Golf. 5sp manual, 1.6L N/A, 75kw of fury!!) 🤣

Yes, I always wondered how Subaru were going to produce a factory engine with 400hp, and not have them pop at least while still in warranty while still meeting emissions targets... Guess they answered that question.
They'd just pull the EJ and put a 4G63 in it's place.

Z by far. Hype for years followed by high prices and disappointment.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
@Jah_Happy

But is the disappointment in the style of car or the actual launch of the car

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
How about an all the above option. :p
then everyone here would choose them all 😂

there can only be one...

2nd gen NSX.

no other options.
ok, i'll add that to the choices

i actually like the new nsx. they are priced out of most ppl range though. but to be honest...id rather have the 1st gen.

Dan Cohen

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SUBARU
Occupation
sales
WRX.
Other than offering the wagon as a CVT only, and the hideous black wheel arch flares on the sedan- not offering an STi was a bullet to their brand, IMO.

*Story time.
My first car was a Hawkeye WRX, which I owned, loved and daily'd for 8 years.
I actually planned on buying a new STi this year- until June last year, when I found myself looking down the barrel of replacing a second EJ25 within 125xxxkm.
The disappointment I feel now, waiting for the new Z is nothing when compared to the disenfranchisement I feel with Subaru.
I have been selling Subarus for 37 years as a Manager here in NJ. I agree with you 100 percent.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Rivian may be rare and expensive, but they're out on the road. There are two in my neighborhood. Can’t say the same for the Z. I know the Z isn’t out yet and that’s sort of the problem. And when it does…no one will actually be able to buy one. I predict I’ll see more Rivians than Zs.

But the Integra gets my vote. It just doesn’t seem sporty enough. Doesn’t matter how well/quick the release is if the product is somewhat boring.
I see you are from Seattle area too.

I commute between Mukilteo and Everett every day, and I have seen 3 different (color) R1Ts in the last 2 weeks. I have seen about as many as the latest Tundra! It's not a lot, but it's a surprise to see them, as you know the Snohomish region isn't full of rich people!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Disappointing launch process, or disappointing launch vehicle?

I must say the the Bronco is the most disappointing process. I could even add the C8 to that list. But, yeah the Bronco is an amazing product, totally botched launch, and the generally fuckery around the ADMs and douchbaggery flipping is so disheartening. I didn't want a Bronco, but I do want people to get them in a reasonable manner.

Most disappointing launch vehicle has to be hands-down the Integra. What sucks is that Acura introduced the car and almost immediately (esp. compared to our Z) made it available for sale. Great. Except the car sucks. I don't want to hear that the previous Integras were also based on a Civic chassis. Yeah, very loosely....the original Integras had body styles not available on the Civic, looked like sporty cars and had unique, very unique at the time, DOHC engines. Not until near the end of Integra did the del Sol and Civic Si get a smaller DOHC engine. Oh, and who had VTEC back then?? Yeah?
The new Integra looks like a sedan-ified MDX, and has the run-of-the-mill Civic engine.
Acura should have explored unique design language for the Integra...I don't think the shape of headlights and taillights being like their SUVs was more cost-effective than unique and sporty looking heads and tails...and they should have started with the 2.0T from the Accord as the base engine, and maybe the CTR 2.0T for the Type S. Also, WTF with a CVT?

I want to hold hope for the Z. It is definitely looking like a runner-up for most disappointing launch, but I chose Bronco because we don't know what post-launch will be like. We are in a recession, there may be (only may, not certain) a correction against ADMs, etc. But, it won't matter if Nissan doesn't make enough Zs to meet demand. Will they make enough? How much demand, really, does a Twin Turbo 2 seater have? I mean, I feel like the new CTR will have more demand as it is a more usable body style and also carries a tradition of halo performance. We just may see that the delayed launch leads into eventually being able to buy a Z without ADM, and maybe even have enough choice for us to get exactly what we want (well, aside from the crowd that wants HUD, cooled seats and towing package). I don't have much faith, but we'll see. I hope the Z doesn't turn out as bad as the Bronco or the C8. Maybe it gets dropped into the correcting market???

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
^ i can agree with most of that. i did have the c8 in mind, but thought the vette for the most part turned out well.

except for the flippers and general dealership douchebaggery...

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
^ i can agree with most of that. i did have the c8 in mind, but thought the vette for the most part turned out well.

except for the flippers and general dealership douchbaggery...
I think the lead-up to the C8 was pre-pandemic, and it became available right as the pandemic was getting started.

I think the pandemic seriously ruined many launches that have occurred since.
Still, Nissan should have had the foresight to delay the Z launch until it could be reasonably available. I will also throw shade at the Airya, I still contend that Nissan thinks that the Airya will be it's savior and the Z is an afterthought.
And Nissan is wrong. Every BEV manufacturer is struggling with actual manufacturing costs being too high. Doesn't Ford lose money on the electric SUV they have? Rivian had to come to terms that the R1T was priced way too low and needed a massive price correction.
All BEV are considerably more expensive than ICE vehicles. And damn near impossible to build during a pandemic.
No, Nissan should have shelved the Airya for a few years and focused on the ICE moneymakers it does have, and set aside enough resources to bring the Z in appreciable numbers whilst selling every single Rogue and Pathfinder they can build. We're deep in a pandemic and heading to recession and Nissan wants to get into the BEV game. They should continue developing BEV, but no need to switch over during a pandemic.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
half way through dec 2022 and still no Z's apart from a few overpriced protos that were snatched up by mostly youtubers and influencers...

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
The launch is so bad I'm pretty much convinced on getting a manual Supra instead. Nissan simply doesn't give a fuck about getting this car to us or dealing with dealerships raping people with ADMs.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
The launch is so bad I'm pretty much convinced on getting a manual Supra instead. Nissan simply doesn't give a fuck about getting this car to us or dealing with dealerships raping people with ADMs.
To me a 6MT MkV is a no-brainer over a 6MT Perf Z for people that like the look of the Supra. Hell, I hate the way it looks yet still entertain the idea here and there, but there are just certain parts of the styling that I can't look past.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I gotta be honest - the more I see the Supra, the more it grows on me. There are a few around town here, one of which has an exhaust so it makes sure you know it's around, and it looks...not terrible.

We all know it's capable as heck, and with a choice in transmission? Could be much worse situations to end up in.