Manual Supra Confirmed for 23?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I've seen a few videos now and I haven't really heard anyone mention it, but the shifts look awkward to me. Like the cabin is a touch too cramped to be rowing through the gears.

I'm really digging the Stratospheric Blue though
I saw a reviewer of smaller stature show how his elbow kept getting stuffed into the cupholders. Some feedback was that BMW should've added a door over the cupholders. That reviewer also mentioned that the low clutch point meant he needed to move his seat up further than he'd like.

A different, taller reviewer also mentioned the low clutch point, but felt that overall the layout is perfect.

Probably just depends on the individuals proportions.....

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
I saw a reviewer of smaller stature show how his elbow kept getting stuffed into the cupholders. Some feedback was that BMW should've added a door over the cupholders. That reviewer also mentioned that the low clutch point meant he needed to move his seat up further than he'd like.

A different, taller reviewer also mentioned the low clutch point, but felt that overall the layout is perfect.

Probably just depends on the individuals proportions.....
This guy explains what I think I've been seeing ~4:20, but yeah it could be more to do with the size of the driver.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
This sounds like pretty good development into the iMT, I might be sold on this. I bet it's a whole lot more refined overall.

1662850580403.png

"It’s easy to think of a transmission swap as little more than a change of physical components. For better or for worse, in today’s age of highly computerized automobiles, it’s not that simple though. To that end, Toyota leaned on its Gazoo Racing engineers, Toyota Motor Europe, and the transmission gurus over at ZF to create the gearbox.

It is not an off-the-shelf unit that comes from a specific BMW model either. Many of the main components are from BMW like the housing and the gearset but Toyota also sourced a few components that are bespoke to the Supra itself. That includes an all-new shift lever, a new large-diameter clutch, and a reinforced diaphragm spring built to handle the high-torque (367 lb-ft / 497 Nm) output of the Supra.

Toyota also says that the weight and shape of the gear knob itself, as well as the shift engagement, have all been fine-tuned. It also shortened the final drive gear ratio from 3.15 in the automatic to 3.46 in the manual."

"Intelligent Manual Transmission is a program incorporated into the new gearbox aimed at making the whole experience better. In short, the software takes into account gear lever position, clutch position, and other factors to smooth out shifts. It can increase or decrease engine output briefly to accomplish that goal.

For example, should a driver not provide enough accelerator pedal input from a stop, the iMT software can add torque to help keep the car from dying. In addition, it’s the same software responsible for producing the rev-match feature when downshifting. Mind you, the iMT programming can be completely disabled too."

Love the tan interior!!

1662850622228.png

The base Supra 2.0 with its four-cylinder engine and automatic transmission starts at $44,635. The six-cylinder 3.0 base Supra with its 382 hp (284 kW) has an MSRP of $53,595. Buyers can choose the manual or automatic transmission for that price. The Premium trim starts at $56,745 and the all-new A91-MT trim costs $59,440.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/09/f...ota-gr-supra-manual-is-an-ode-to-enthusiasts/

Last edited:

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Hmm, don't think that 25 percent will happen, I'd say closer to 50 percent, being it's the GR 3.0. But what's interesting is how will it compare to the new Z's manual uptake percentage? I think the Z will have a smaller percentage for manuals. Let's see.
Right now, studies show the take rate for the Z with a manual is 100%***

*** auto stop sale in effect

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Well, got to test drive both to decide. The manual Supra is tempting based on tests so far, ZF sourced 6 speed and clutch seem to be better, susp is more buttoned down plus BMW interior is more upscale in materials. I'm familiar w BMW power so.....we'll see. But definitely the Z's styling is a BIG plus, a home run for Nissan.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
How is it that the Supra manual has a godly exhaust from factory and the manual Z sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

I don't buy much of that, maybe it's some stupid restriction Commiefornia put in against new model cars recently, because heres my stock SS 1LE. Car is loud for a factory exhaust, more pops and bangs than a vape monster inside VW/BMW too.

Well, got to test drive both to decide. The manual Supra is tempting based on tests so far, ZF sourced 6 speed and clutch seem to be better, susp is more buttoned down plus BMW interior is more upscale in materials. I'm familiar w BMW power so.....we'll see. But definitely the Z's styling is a BIG plus, a home run for Nissan.
You already know the answer here. One is a legit purpose built sports car that tracks really great, the other is a great looking car.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
You already know the answer here. One is a legit purpose built sports car that tracks really great, the other is a great looking car.
Got that right! One one hand been a Z fan for many years, so heritage is pulling me in that direction. On the other hand it's overall performance where the Supra/BMW has it beat stock for stock.

Could be the fun part with the Z is making it perform way better with aftermarket options. Yeah takes more $$ but it's the process that is the fun part. I've got several things in mind already.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I'm not sure if iMT is necessary for those that's familiar with MT. This feature might be a sales pitch for newbies that want to get into MT
This sounds like pretty good development into the iMT, I might be sold on this. I bet it's a whole lot more refined overall.

It is not an off-the-shelf unit that comes from a specific BMW model either. Many of the main components are from BMW like the housing and the gearset but Toyota also sourced a few components that are bespoke to the Supra itself. That includes an all-new shift lever, a new large-diameter clutch, and a reinforced diaphragm spring built to handle the high-torque (367 lb-ft / 497 Nm) output of the Supra.

Toyota also says that the weight and shape of the gear knob itself, as well as the shift engagement, have all been fine-tuned. It also shortened the final drive gear ratio from 3.15 in the automatic to 3.46 in the manual."

"Intelligent Manual Transmission is a program incorporated into the new gearbox aimed at making the whole experience better. In short, the software takes into account gear lever position, clutch position, and other factors to smooth out shifts. It can increase or decrease engine output briefly to accomplish that goal.

For example, should a driver not provide enough accelerator pedal input from a stop, the iMT software can add torque to help keep the car from dying. In addition, it’s the same software responsible for producing the rev-match feature when downshifting. Mind you, the iMT programming can be completely disabled too."

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/09/f...ota-gr-supra-manual-is-an-ode-to-enthusiasts/

Cmtremor

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 6.7 ram 2500, S14 silvia, 1uz 84" celica
Occupation
millwright
i am just wondering if picking the Z over the supra will yeild the same results as last generations.

imagine being back in 1997 and choosing a 300zx over a 1997 supra brand new from factory ... i think you would feel pretty foolish now saying the 300zx was the smart choice.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I'm not sure if iMT is necessary for those that's familiar with MT. This feature might be a sales pitch for newbies that want to get into MT
I would manually disable it most of the time, maybe of good use on rainy days. Remember the Nissan Super HICAS, that was a mess in a lot of transition situations.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
i am just wondering if picking the Z over the supra will yeild the same results as last generations.

imagine being back in 1997 and choosing a 300zx over a 1997 supra brand new from factory ... i think you would feel pretty foolish now saying the 300zx was the smart choice.
Hard to say, but I believe the Z will depreciate quicker than the MKV and at a similar rate as say the prior two Z's. I have doubts the MKV will ever see MKIV type appreciation, but that is in part due to the unknowns surrounding the "end" of the ICE auto era and what the landscape might look like in the next couple decades.

Who knows what limitations/restrictions we might see, so my advice is just to drive whatever you enjoy and not worry so much about what it may or may not be worth down the line. Probably easier said than done, and with that said, part of me definitely questions spending too much money on any 1 pure ICE vehicle right now.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

BMWness will inevitably rear it's ugly head on the Supra. However, probably over a 10 year span the BMW will do better, for sure.

The BMW Supra also carries the burden of not actually being a Toyota, which very likely will constrain it's long term value.

The Z will likely have 3 periods, new/near new and well kept, then end up with tuners who abuse it (as seen with many 350's and beginning to occur to 370's) and a later, third period where people realize what we lost and the value explodes again.
This is now happening to the Z32.
The last Toyota Supra experienced high value early on as it aged, however I really think the BMW will do exactly the opposite of the Toyota as it reaches older age. Because it's a BMW, it's inevitable, even if it's the most reliable BMW ever, things will fall apart.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
After watching GR Corolla videos, I realized that the Corolla will be the most desirable near term and long term over the Supra. By a lot. No contest.

When the GR Corolla, Z and Supra are 20+ years old, GRC will be #1, Z will be #2 and Supra will be a distant 3rd.

The GR Corolla is going to steal the Supra's thunder, especially amongst fanbois