Locking Car after Closing Trunk

goeagles11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z
In the 370z there was a smaller button on the trunk that locked the car. It looks like that's been removed on the new Z, so now you need to lock the car with your key after you close the trunk. Am I missing something?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I don't think you're missing anything. Only one button.
1000018631.png

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few things I noticed about the Z that I find strange (or at least different than my G37):
  • Unlocking the hatch also unlocks the doors. The G37 didn't do this, and it took some getting used to. On the G37, while the car was locked, you could open the trunk, grab something, close the trunk, and the car was just as secure as before. With the Z, if you do that, you have to lock the car again.
  • There's no hatch release on the key fob. The G37 had an open trunk button on the fob, and I used it all the time, more often than the exterior trunk release switch. I miss it.
  • The Z's interior hatch release doesn't work if the car is locked. I don't recall how the G37 worked. I think the interior trunk release on the G37 always worked. At one point, I think I had disabled unlock-on-ignition-off, the Z's switch wasn't working, and I thought it was broken.

Ckynus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
Film
I have found that I need to open the trunk with two hands. One to push the button and a second to lift up. If I use one hand it latches again before I lift up.

But whatever, it's not like I bought the car to use the trunk.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have found that I need to open the trunk with two hands. One to push the button and a second to lift up. If I use one hand it latches again before I lift up.

Yeah, I've found that most of my posts on this forum have been me whining about more minor issues (key fob, misaligned katana, scratched windshield, whatever).

I guess what I fail to say is how much fun this car is to drive. It has so much power and torque, and it can pull in any gear. As a daily driver, the car feels solid and well built.

It's these few little things that cause minor annoyances. If these problems didn't exist, I'd love the car that much more.

And it's a shame because we know Nissan can build such a car (my G37 was proof). I wish the Z was at least up to that standard.

Last edited:

goosewave

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z

I bought some trunk openers on Z1, just stronger springs to get the trunk past the latch point. Only downside is you gotta chuck the trunk down a bit harder to properly close it.

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
I bought some trunk openers on Z1, just stronger springs to get the trunk past the latch point. Only downside is you gotta chuck the trunk down a bit harder to properly close it.
I've had a 350Z, two 370Z's and now a Z. In my experience, the rear hatch has always operated such that you push the rear release and the hatch would pop open to clear the second (safety) latch just enough to grab under the hatch and lift it up where the gas struts would take it the rest of the way. That's how those vehicles have always worked IME. With my original 2011 370Z, I bought a retractible rear hatch cover....a great convenience... but the added down force of the retract mechanism on that hatch cover prevented the release from clearing the second latch so that it did take two hand to open..one hand to push the release button and the second hand to lift the hatch. I had to put a couple of little silicone spacers on it. Online forums suggested super-gluing a nickel to the car when each spring hit the body. That wasn't a problem when I moved that hatch cover to the next 370Z...a 2014..hatch cleared just fine with one push of the button. When I got the 2024 Z, I kept that original hatch cover and it slipped into the new Z perfectly. It did add some down force to the hatch, but not enough to prevent the hatch from clearing the 2nd catch point. It certainly doesn't need extra springs, nor stiffer struts as Nissan suggests. That hatch cover is something like $500+, so I'm glad it fits.

The 370Z didn't have an inside hatch release (puzzling). That was always a problem at the airport Valet Parking entrance where security requires me to open the rear hatch for inspection but wouldn't let me get out of the car. Hard to explain exactly where that rear button is, and make them believe that there was no inside release button. Now there is. Good deal.

hatch cover.jpg

Last edited: