Is $40k a good price for a 400hp Z?

Do you think Nissan priced the Z accordingly?

• Total voters

Boomboom

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
Occupation
Self employed
I actually found a couple for 62k on cars.com the new ones are cheaper than the used ones!

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
note: i posted this in the meme thread, but it pertains here...

excuse me nissan, we've heard the sport base trim will start around $38-40k, but i'd rather have the performance model, how much will it cost?

images.jpeg

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I know scummy dealers will mark these up but I refuse to pay ADM. I am a buyer at 35-40k though for base and I would pay sticker. if I can't get my hands on one at MSRP i will get something else.

this happened way back when I was looking at a Stinger i couldn't even get a test drive without a credit pull. I then drove 45 minutes to the Alfa Romeo dealer and they threw me the keys to a Giulia and said bring it back in 30 minutes. Guess what car I got...

pakmanz35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Infiniti G37xS
In general $40K for 400hp is good, but when you see what the base (sport) model has you start to scratch your head. The lack of LSD on the base model is concerning and no synchro rev match on the base?

The top trim (performance) model is the one to get obviously.

If base was around $35K-$37K and top trim was $41K-$43K this would be a killer deal. The closer the top trim is to $50K msrp it's going to be a tough sell compared to the competition.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Dude a base model C8 Vette is still a solid class above even a 500hp version of this car. I sure hope Nissan sees that. I'm a diehard Z guy myself and I want a Nismo (unless they do something butt ugly to it), but if my Nismo cash can get me into a C8 Vette... that decision is a really tough one for me. The new Vette is the closest I will ever get to Ferrari presence on the road with the midengine packaging and the look and feel that brings, and no Z can touch that.
Amen. I'm in the EXACT same boat.

The used car market prices are going insane at this time.

I feel as if Nissan has to play it smart with the price if they want to make a good amount of sales. The last Z model you could get was priced starting at $31k -/+ and the Nismo $45k -/+. This is competing with the Supra and sure Toyota went the route they did building it with BMW parts which aren't cheap and ended up with a $50k+ car with newer parts all around. However, they are keeping the 350/370 foundation (no modifications known yet). Some interior pieces are carried over from the 370Z. The engine is from the Q60 red sport (not sure if the internals have been modified yet). I'm not saying the base price should remain at $31k but is it worth an entire $10k+ for a new model that was overdue years ago given a lot of the parts carried over have been established for years?

They kept saying this car was going to be attainable. A Mustang GT starting at $36k is an example of an attainable sports car.

I like the car and plan to pick one up in the future. Most are excited about the potential for this Z. But these are just some of the knocks people will have against it if they price it too high and the Z has a lot of hype behind it, don't screw it up Nissan.
Quite frankly, the muscle trinity is what killed the 370. The general buying public honestly doesn't give a damn about handling or balance - why do you think Dodge sells so much while the Camaro which is by far the best of the Trinity is about to die due to lack of sales.

GNOAK

First Name
Gonz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma and 2003 Mazda B2300
The base trim is sufficient for me at least.
Amen. I'm in the EXACT same boat.

Quite frankly, the muscle trinity is what killed the 370. The general buying public honestly doesn't give a damn about handling or balance - why do you think Dodge sells so much while the Camaro which is by far the best of the Trinity is about to die due to lack of sales.
The Camaro is indeed the best of the three. I would honestly look at a Camaro if the Z is priced a bit too high. Sucks to see the Camaro program is going to be retired soon, but what can you do.

The Z can't start at 40k imo. It has to be lower, the amount of recycled parts and the in house VR30, should have made it slightly cheaper. I'll still probably get one, but down the line when the dealers stop marking them up like crazy.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Evo 8 RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Occupation
ML engineer
And I was just thinking about the mythical 60k c8 that everyone keeps talking about. I just looked on CarGurus and there was basically nothing under 80.
Now will the salesman let you leave the dealership with a 61K vett? Maybe, maybe not. But it took me about 2 seconds to find this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 11.27.39 AM.png

FricFrac

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370Z, 300ZX, 280ZX, 260Z, 240Z, 510, 620, Roadster
Occupation
Engineer
Now will the salesman let you leave the dealership with a 61K vett? Maybe, maybe not. But it took me about 2 seconds to find this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 11.27.39 AM.png
I have a client with a little pull at GM and he had to wait two years to get his 'vette.....

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
The "base" should have 4-piston brakes and LSD. Can't believe they're giving it 2-piston, cast iron brakes. How can you call the base trim "sport" when it doesn't have the actual sport brakes? If they added those 2 options as standard it would be a killer deal at $40k.

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
I'm surprised that everyone is so up in arms about the new Z not having sport brakes and LSD on the base model. It was the exact same way with the 370 and 350.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
the Camaro LT1 or 1SS is my next choice if I can't get a Z.
I wish I could do this. The Camaro is a great car for the money, but...My stepson has one. I really don't like the cockpit. I can't put my finger on it, but I can't get comfortable driving this car.

I like the way the 370 fits me. It looks like the new Z will be basically the same. To me, that justifies paying a little more.