Is $40k a good price for a 400hp Z?

Do you think Nissan priced the Z accordingly?

• Total voters

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I wish I could do this. The Camaro is a great car for the money, but...My stepson has one. I really don't like the cockpit. I can't put my finger on it, but I can't get comfortable driving this car.

I like the way the 370 fits me. It looks like the new Z will be basically the same. To me, that justifies paying a little more.
I had a 370 a few years back and do like it better and I know what you mean regarding the cockpit feel. the engine sounds so good though

golddog

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
I actually found a couple for 62k on cars.com the new ones are cheaper than the used ones!
If referring to Corvettes, those are preorder, dealer delivered, sold orders. They always post to the web once near delivery and are never available at the price stated if not already sold.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
I'm surprised that everyone is so up in arms about the new Z not having sport brakes and LSD on the base model. It was the exact same way with the 370 and 350.
Well the 370Z had ~332HP and came out in 2009. It is now 2021 and I can't think of a single 400HP car that doesn't come with at least 4-piston brakes up front. Hell, nowadays there's sports cars with less than 400HP that have 4-piston or even 6-piston brakes on the front. Look at the Civic Type-R with 306HP and 6-pistons.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
is $40k good for 400hp...sure.

is $35k great for 400hp...yes!

nissan, if your listening, which number will sell more cars? sell quantity...make more? that extra $5k and it's associated fees and taxes may not seem like a big deal to some, but it could be the difference between a sale or not.

i promise you if you pull it off, even more people will buy it...this will also hurt the compition and take money out of their pockets and put it into yours.

on top of that, if the product is good...chances are you will win them over when they need a more practical car or work truck...hence more sales and and less money to your compition.

with a low entry price, you could destroy the market for the other current sports cars at and way above the $35k price range.

take a page out of the c8's handbook...price it low as possible to make and little profit and those that want more, give the ability to pay more for higher trims/options. and just like vettes, you won't be able to build them fast enough for the public...

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

nissan, if your listening, which number will sell more cars? sell quantity...make more? that extra $5k and it's associated fees and taxes may not seem like a big deal to some, but it could be the difference between a sale or not.

i promise you if you pull it off, even more people will buy it...this will also hurt the compition and take money out of their pockets and put it into yours.

on top of that, if the product is good...chances are you will win them over when they need a more practical car or work truck...hence more sales and and less money to your compition.

with a low entry price, you could destroy the market for the other current sports cars at and way above the $35k price range.

take a page out of the c8's handbook...price it low as possible to make and little profit and those that want more, give the ability to pay more for higher trims/options. and just like vettes, you won't be able to build them fast enough for the public...
Pssst @Dan_Passe , up here ☝ ;)

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru

I think if Nissan want to price it appropriately, they should follow their statistic of 370z sold between 2005-2020. Particularly in 2019-2020, people have look the other way and bought a Supra instead. Many folks on here think Supra doesn't sell, bc no MT or only 300hp, but their sale records have been in increasing trend. Imagine if when Toyota do offer MT in 2022 for $42K (it's $43K for AT now), it will leave Nissan w/ head-scratchings.

I think they should start looking at their own history of 370Z sale and make a bet on their data and not based on publicity stunts from Jay Leno or online media. The 370Z MRSP was $30K, so that's a good start.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata
I think if Nissan want to price it appropriately, they should follow their statistic of 370z sold between 2005-2020. Particularly in 2019-2020, people have look the other way and bought a Supra instead. Many folks on here think Supra doesn't sell, bc no MT or only 300hp, but their sale records have been in increasing trend. Imagine if when Toyota do offer MT in 2022 for $42K (it's $43K for AT now), it will leave Nissan w/ head-scratchings.

I think they should start looking at their own history of 370Z sale and make a bet on their data and not based on publicity stunts from Jay Leno or online media. The 370Z MRSP was $30K, so that's a good start.
Gotta put in inflation bro. Hopefully they can keep it down, but 35k is probably the lowest it could theoretically go, 40 seems about the ticket. Considering the competition.

MZGA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
I know a lot of people in the Z community that feel the $40k price tag is a tad to much given that it's basically a reskin 370Z with an updated drivetrain. Nissan could have at least given the sport model a LSD. However, I would still get this over the 4 banger Supra any day.