Is $40k a good price for a 400hp Z?

Do you think Nissan priced the Z accordingly?

• Total voters

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
Base Caymans (and possibly still 911s) come with open diffs too.

The deal breaker for me is going to be weight. I don't like the price increase and may buy something else if the weight is over 3500lbs.
I don't get your point though, this is supposed to be a "drivers car" not a grand touring car, I think I could make a solid argument that the cayman is not a sports car.

By that logic the GT350 shouldn't have a LSD or any other high end drivers car.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I gotta temper my excitement over the car with reality -

Nissan's mid-cycle refreshes are ALWAYS better than launch versions of any of their cars. My 2013 370Z Sport had so many little bugs worked out from my 2010 40th Anniversary (steering lock, suspension adjustment, evap cannister redesign that better accommodates aftermarket exhausts). My 2020 Titan Pro4X is MOUNTAINS improved over my 2017 (new styling, new transmission, new infotainment).

They have indeed worked out many kinks in the VR30, but this car will expose more things about that motor than we know now, and Nissan will address it.

$40k starting price is proper for today's sports car market and competition. It's not currently priced in my ideal sweet spot without some other questions answered, especially when I truly want a Nismo. With the way things are looking, that's going to be closer to $60k, and I've already got two $60k Nissans in my garage between a QX80 and my Titan. Never thought a third Nissan in my garage would be more than $60k and not have the red R on it somewhere.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I gotta temper my excitement over the car with reality -

Nissan's mid-cycle refreshes are ALWAYS better than launch versions of any of their cars. My 2013 370Z Sport had so many little bugs worked out from my 2010 40th Anniversary (steering lock, suspension adjustment, evap cannister redesign that better accommodates aftermarket exhausts). My 2020 Titan Pro4X is MOUNTAINS improved over my 2017 (new styling, new transmission, new infotainment).

They have indeed worked out many kinks in the VR30, but this car will expose more things about that motor than we know now, and Nissan will address it.

$40k starting price is proper for today's sports car market and competition. It's not currently priced in my ideal sweet spot without some other questions answered, especially when I truly want a Nismo. With the way things are looking, that's going to be closer to $60k, and I've already got two $60k Nissans in my garage between a QX80 and my Titan. Never thought a third Nissan in my garage would be more than $60k and not have the red R on it somewhere.
Yea I'm with you on the pricing. Can't expect a car to come out with TT, modern tech, newer styling, and expect to stay around same $ as the previous gen. Especially considering the financial hole that Nissan is trying to get out of. Plus with reusing the VR30, tuners might not need alot of development time to start getting this platform fitted.

Plus can't necessarily compare the GR twins pricing increase to this. Partnerships allow for cost to be split between the manufacturers, keeping overall price for customers low. The GR has updated engine, updated dash and new styling. But everything else is same; Seats, door cards etc.. Similar to what has stayed the same on Z vs 370z.

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I was hoping for 35k but 40 isn't too bad... in 2009 didn't it start around 30k so assuming 2% inflation (which is probably more nowadays) a 2023 would be very close to 40k plus we get more HP and features

Boomboom

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
Occupation
Self employed
I’m a huge Z guy so don’t take this the wrong way but a Nismo getting close to $58k possibly, that’s getting real close to a vette, yes base model but dang! Thoughts on that? Again i am a Z guy but thats a steep price imo.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I’m a huge Z guy so don’t take this the wrong way but a Nismo getting close to $58k possibly, that’s getting real close to a vette, yes base model but dang! Thoughts on that? Again i am a Z guy but thats a steep price imo.
curious about that myself, but wrx sti's that go for $42-49k. yeah i know it's a boxer sedan, but, still turbo/awd/6spd/jdm.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
My thoughts…they need to be careful not to block out buyers. If they start heading into that territory, many won’t be able to afford it and those that can will have other options for not much more.
Need to get pricing right if they hope to get Nissan up in lights again

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Dude a base model C8 Vette is still a solid class above even a 500hp version of this car. I sure hope Nissan sees that. I'm a diehard Z guy myself and I want a Nismo (unless they do something butt ugly to it), but if my Nismo cash can get me into a C8 Vette... that decision is a really tough one for me. The new Vette is the closest I will ever get to Ferrari presence on the road with the midengine packaging and the look and feel that brings, and no Z can touch that.

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
Screenshot_20210819-073949_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20210819-073516_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20210819-073521_Chrome.jpg

When you find one for close to Nismo cash let me know
And I was just thinking about the mythical 60k c8 that everyone keeps talking about. I just looked on CarGurus and there was basically nothing under 80.

Boomboom

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
Occupation
Self employed
Looks like their more than i thought. ? google needs to update their search function!
68DAF663-03D8-47BA-B913-8367A31ABD27.png

Z_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000, Xterra Pro-4x
The used car market prices are going insane at this time.

I feel as if Nissan has to play it smart with the price if they want to make a good amount of sales. The last Z model you could get was priced starting at $31k -/+ and the Nismo $45k -/+. This is competing with the Supra and sure Toyota went the route they did building it with BMW parts which aren't cheap and ended up with a $50k+ car with newer parts all around. However, they are keeping the 350/370 foundation (no modifications known yet). Some interior pieces are carried over from the 370Z. The engine is from the Q60 red sport (not sure if the internals have been modified yet). I'm not saying the base price should remain at $31k but is it worth an entire $10k+ for a new model that was overdue years ago given a lot of the parts carried over have been established for years?

They kept saying this car was going to be attainable. A Mustang GT starting at $36k is an example of an attainable sports car.

I like the car and plan to pick one up in the future. Most are excited about the potential for this Z. But these are just some of the knocks people will have against it if they price it too high and the Z has a lot of hype behind it, don't screw it up Nissan.