How to search for a Z

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
i heard back from the dealership in CT about the red Z. They are holding to $65,299 + “Dealer Fees“. I’m not Interested at that price, but thought I would post the dealers reply. I wonder how much the Dealer Fees are. Sad to see this happening with big markups. If they come back with another price, I will post it.
The moment they come back with a reasonable price, it'll get sold fast.
You can see how strong the demand is for the relatively rare red.....

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
i heard back from the dealership in CT about the red Z. They are holding to $65,299 + “Dealer Fees“. I’m not Interested at that price, but thought I would post the dealers reply. I wonder how much the Dealer Fees are. Sad to see this happening with big markups. If they come back with another price, I will post it.
Keep calling lol. Thats how I got mine. Talk to enough people and you may get someone willing to go down or ask for an offer.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
LOL. 😊 It’s at $65,299 and “Dealer Fees” on top of that??? What’s the markup from the MSRP, the “Bend Over Fee?” ;)

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Maybe meet them in person, tell them how nice they smell and offer them lunch.... Couldn't hurt
I totally agree with this.

The Globe, AZ dealer I bought from sold at MSRP (plus some unfortunately unavoidable and useless dealer adds like window etching and a crappy armor all application). Anyway...

They were in AZ while I was in CA, but we kept lines of communication open and treated each other with respect. When I finally met them in person (the day I picked up my car), I offered to buy a couple of pizzas for the shop (a tip I heard here, I think). They turned down the pizza, but I felt that being courteous and friendly helped the relationship along. I don't know if it has any impact on pricing, but it could have had an impact on keeping the deal alive.

One thing that was strange about my deal. When I first spoke to them on the phone, they asked for a non-refundable deposit, which I was okay with. I wasn't planning to back out of the deal once we agreed on price. As we continued to talk they never took the deposit even though I asked about it several times. This made me fear the deal was going to fall through, and they'd give the car to someone else who offered more than MSRP, but that never happened, despite, they said, a lot of interest in the car.

Maybe they were just happy to unload a sports car from a dealership in "truck county". Perhaps it was their fastest sale. Car arrives one day, sold the next. Dunno.

On the flip side, at the time, only one other dealer had my desired spec. I called them as well. They wanted $10K over MSRP, so I just politely said, "No, thank you." They asked why, and I politely said, "I can't pay over MSRP for a car," which really isn't a reason, but it seemed to keep the conversation civil. I think that dealer still has that car.

Anyway, the golden rule can't hurt when shopping for a Z.

Vintage

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rubicon
Unfortunate to hear they won't come closer to MSRP. As others have said I would keep in touch. Every week the car sits, they'll be more inclined to negotiate. My dealer was asking $10k ADM we ended up at $5k which I thought was fair. They had gotten the car in on a Thursday and I bought it Monday. I believe it helped showing up in person, plus I wanted to see the Rosewood color in the flesh. I think if it was sitting for a few weeks or over a month I might of been able to negotiate closer to MSRP. But I didn't want to lose the car as it was my my first color choice and other dealers in my area were at $7500 to $10,000 ADM on other colors.

Last edited:

bruce_c

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z 2015 wrx 1967 gto 1928 pontiac
I was able to find the Z I wanted at at MSRP because of Bill's spreadsheet, and the internet salesman working for the dealer who told me that another Z was on its way, and I could put a non-refundable deposit on it (no issue for me !)

DSC01138 small small.jpg

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
On the flip side, at the time, only one other dealer had my desired spec. I called them as well. They wanted $10K over MSRP, so I just politely said, "No, thank you." They asked why, and I politely said, "I can't pay over MSRP for a car," which really isn't a reason, but it seemed to keep the conversation civil. I think that dealer still has that car.

Anyway, the golden rule can't hurt when shopping for a Z.
Good for you. The salesman usually doesn't set the price on a premium car. They have a very difficult job overall and it's nice when they interact with someone who's civil.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, after almost seven months, two new Zs have shown up at San Diego area dealers, and one of them is a 2023 with VIN JN1BZ4BH0PM311815, so now we've seen a more than 1800. I'll run the spreadsheet again tomorrow, and hope this is a national trend and not just a local aberration.
Well, these extra two Zs have vanished. San Diego area went from having only two Proto Spec Zs for seven months, to having four Zs for a only a week, and is now back to having only the two Proto Spec Zs again.

I hope someone here got them. Anybody want to share some good news?

TKAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
Well, these extra two Zs have vanished. San Diego area went from having only two Proto Spec Zs for seven months, to having four Zs for a only a week, and is now back to having only the two Proto Spec Zs again.

I hope someone here got them. Anybody want to share some good news?
I was hoping to get one of them, but the dealer didn't write back. :(

I'm pretty close on another one, though, so hopefully I'll have good news soon. :)

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was hoping to get one of them, but the dealer didn't write back. :(

I'm pretty close on another one, though, so hopefully I'll have good news soon. :)
They may still be there. Sometimes Nissan's inventory site is flaky.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's Friday again!

Updated with data collected on June 23rd (compared to June 16th).

Using the zip codes in this V2 area covered map here's a spreadsheet that shows the inventory within the circles (more or less):

Inventory Spreadsheet

The number of cars in the area covered decreased from 194 to 167 (-27 cars).
  • removed: 42
  • added: 15
  • highest serial number: 312185 (jumped by 80, from 312105 to 312185, with a big gap)

Georges1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
Not sure if this Red Z is still available. But happen to see it on a search if anyone is interested. You might be able to negotiate the ADM down, Seems alittle high.
Screenshot_20230617_135331_Chrome.jpg
Big price drop. They are only asking $64,994 + Dealer extras. They have slashed the price by $305.00. I checked today & they are sticking to that price.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
June's a wrap!

Updated with data collected on June 30th (compared to June 23rd).

Using the zip codes in this V2 area covered map here's a spreadsheet that shows the inventory within the circles (more or less):

Inventory Spreadsheet

The number of cars in the area covered decreased from 167 to 151 (-16 cars).
  • removed: 21
  • added: 5
  • highest serial number: 312185 (unchanged)