Hood/bonnet gas struts?

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Anyone know of any gas struts that would work in the hood/bonnet?
I would guess that it's probably the same that would fit a 370Z, but thought I'd check with the brains trust before picking some up.

This dinky stalk think looks shit, and pisses me off with it's cheapness.

EDIT: I did look at the strut kit from Z1 for the 370Z. The part where it bolts to the engine bay looks like a direct fit (the push pin is where it needs to be), but the hood hinge looks like a different fitting. I'm not sure it will fit.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Anyone know of any gas struts that would work in the hood/bonnet?
I would guess that it's probably the same that would fit a 370Z, but thought I'd check with the brains trust before picking some up.

This dinky stalk think looks shit, and pisses me off with it's cheapness.

EDIT: I did look at the strut kit from Z1 for the 370Z. The part where it bolts to the engine bay looks like a direct fit (the push pin is where it needs to be), but the hood hinge looks like a different fitting. I'm not sure it will fit.
At least in USDM, the new Z's here have explosive hood-poppers in the hinge area for pedestrian impacts, and because of that the legacy gas struts might be incompatible. Just a thought, 370Z's and Infiniti Q's didn't have hood-poppers, the 370Z could be retrofitted, and the Q's came with them.

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
66stang, 70galant, 96200SX, 98GS300, 02XR6, 08mini
Yeah the 370 kit did not fit on cars with the pedestrian safety hoods either.

so doubt they will fit.

IMG_8748.png

OP
OP
Proto Z

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Performance 6MT Black Diamond/Graphite
Occupation
Civil Servant
These are the ones I have.
No idea about liability... TBH I typically avoid hitting pedestrians where I can...

Engine bay looks 🔥

Hatoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Brz
These are the ones I have.
No idea about liability... TBH I typically avoid hitting pedestrians where I can...

Thanks for the pics. This looks like it should be fine since it connects to the existing hinge/bracket. I was just concerned it would add a separate bracket on the hood that would remain connected if it has to pop.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This one is designed to work with the hood poppers but I wonder if there's any liability issue if the hood were to remain attached (due to the struts) during a collision with a pedestrian causing extra harm. https://www.kanjospecd.com/product-page/hood-dampers
In the USA I highly doubt there's any liability against the vehicle owner. Someone would have to prove that the mod caused excessive damage to a ped. And besides, I highly doubt that these poppers really help to save lives.

People put cheap, underperforming tires on their vehicles all the time, I'm sure many an accident could be attributed to poor tires, poor vehicle condition or poor mods. Lifting a truck definitely doesn't help with ped safety, and no one gets popped for that.

There's no legal precedent that I've heard of where people are regularly held liable specifically for a particular change to their vehicle that may have contributed to injuries and/or damages.