Is that front grille growing on you yet?

Is that front grille growing on you yet?

• Total voters

z_ya_later

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Seiran Blue Nissan Z Sport
Didn't originally like it on the Proto but to their credit, Nissan listened to the feedback from the reveal and lightened up the grill a bit so it wasn't so pitch-black and I think that helped. Seeing it in person, it's much less of an issue because you are standing up, looking down, not crouched on your knees looking at it head on. That perspective makes a difference. Plus, living in Miami I'll take all the extra front-end cooling I can get.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Liked it from the very beginning, unique in-your-face styling, no need to change it.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
Still hate it. With the custom proto, Nissan showed they are listening and capable of producing a vehicle with a better front. I won’t buy now until they offer a solution resulting in something like the custom. Hopefully the Nismo or mid cycle refresh gets it done. Love the rest of the vehicle.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
The grille never bothered me that much (although the recent one-off does look better). What I really hate are the pointless dials on top of the dashboard that simply look silly, but that's been a "Z thing" for a while and even the last model of the 200sx/240sx had a pointless dial on the driver's window pillar. :(

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The grille never bothered me that much (although the recent one-off does look better). What I really hate are the pointless dials on top of the dashboard that simply look silly, but that's been "Z thing" for a while
You are probably the first, and only person I've heard say that!

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Doesnt bother me. I also know there's going to be plenty of aftermarket options to choose from down the road.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
Never bothered me, only looks bad if you’re sitting down right in front of the car

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
You are probably the first, and only person I've heard say that!
With the 350z and 307z being more popular in general than the older Z cars were, the vast majority of owners have no idea what those dials are for, let alone use them. They would be better to be an optional extra for those who actually need them (i.e. track racing).

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
With the 350z and 307z being more popular in general than the older Z cars were, the vast majority of owners have no idea what those dials are for, let alone use them. They would be better to be an optional extra for those who actually need them (i.e. track racing).
While I prefer the analog look, if they were digital you could choose what data to display.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I don't get your point. Weren't the dash pods on every Z aside from the Z32? And over the years, they displayed different info.

It's a trademark element of the Z. I'm just not seeing why you have an issue with them.

Do you just want a smooth-top dash, or different data shown? If the latter, those gauges seem to look fairly standard shape, someone will probably make alternative options for the pods.

If you just think the 3 pods should go away and the dash just be smoothed over, I definitely think you have strange taste.

It's very interesting to see what people focus on.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I don't get your point. Weren't the dash pods on every Z aside from the Z32? And over the years, they displayed different info.

It's a trademark element of the Z.
That's why I originally said "but that's been a "Z thing" for a while". I've never liked them on the 370Z, 350Z, etc. either.

I'm just not seeing why you have an issue with them.

Do you just want a smooth-top dash, or different data shown? If the latter, those gauges seem to look fairly standard shape, someone will probably make alternative options for the pods.
As I originally said, "the pointless dials on top of the dashboard that simply look silly". There are no silly dash-top dials in most other cars ... including most sportscars, although a few do have them further down within the dashboard. It's mostly just a "Z thing". There's simply no need for the dials for 95%+ of the buyers. At best it looks ugly having silly 'eggs' popping out of the top of the dashboard, and at worst they can be distracting (like the one on the driver's pillar of the final 200sx models). As above, they could be an optional extra for those few who actually need or want them.

Yes, it's purely a personal opinion, which is why I said "What I really hate".

Last edited:

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
That's why I originally said "but that's been a "Z thing" for a while".

As I originally said, "the pointless dials on top of the dashboard that simply look silly". There are no silly dash-top dials in most other cars ... including most sportscars, although a few do have them further down within the dashboard. It's mostly just a "Z thing". There's simply no need for the dials for 95%+ of the buyers. At best it looks ugly having silly 'eggs' popping out of the top of the dashboard, and at worst they can be distracting (like the one on the driver's pillar of the final 200sx models). As above, they could be an optional extra for those few who actually need or want them.

I understand your point about most people not using them (or even knowing what they do), but I will say, non car people usually love by an analog boost gauge bouncing all over the place while driving fast. I remember someone thinking my buddies mk4 passat with an aftermarket boost gauge on the A-pillar was the fastest thing on earth, and we all rode in a challenger later lol

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus CT200h Lexus GX 570
Having owned a 240 and a 280ZX, I can’t imagine a Z without the 3 gauges. It’s one of the design elements that gives the Z its unique character.

The front grill has grown on me, but it’s still my least favorite part of the car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
That's why I originally said "but that's been a "Z thing" for a while". I've never liked them on the 370Z, 350Z, etc. either.

Well, I'm very glad the Z has them.

I also wouldn't mind getting that cheesy voice back too.