Hands Up all the Aussies

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
Does anyone know if the Mercedes SLC40i has good reliability? And thoughts in general please
Don’t believe all the hype. Have owned a number of S Mercs and they run like well oiled sewing machines. The attention to engineering excellence is just next level. There are a few common issues, one way bearing in alternator pulley as an example, but apart from some issues with the valves on their mid 2000 V8’s, they are not major. When you drive any S class, you are in a very special machine.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Don’t believe all the hype. Have owned a number of S Mercs and they run like well oiled sewing machines. The attention to engineering excellence is just next level. There are a few common issues, one way bearing in alternator pulley as an example, but apart from some issues with the valves on their mid 2000 V8’s, they are not major. When you drive any S class, you are in a very special machine.
Thanks….nice to get some positive in it’s from someone who has actually owned one

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
66stang, 70galant, 96200SX, 98GS300, 02XR6, 08mini
this is not an s class.
Is the small convertible.
ie replacement for slk and now discontinued

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
this is not an s class.
Is the small convertible.
ie replacement for slk and now discontinued
I know that.

So you would also know that any car that Mercedes puts and S in, apart from the actual S class is considered special, or as it stands for Sport. e.g. GLS is considered the S of GL's etc.

Whilst the SL was the official S coupe, the SLC and SLK were always a cut above when fitted with the upper engine configurations, ie 500, 550, 6.3, 6.5 (yep crazy buggers made one of those)...

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know that.

So you would also know that any car that Mercedes puts and S in, apart from the actual S class is considered special, or as it stands for Sport. e.g. GLS is considered the S of GL's etc.

Whilst the SL was the official S coupe, the SLC and SLK were always a cut above when fitted with the upper engine configurations, ie 500, 550, 6.3, 6.5 (yep crazy buggers made one of those)...
ok I thought as this was for SLK/SLC it was sports not special.

thus they had the SLK later renamed SLC
SL
SLS

with the SLS being the Sports special
SL being the mid range
and SLK/SLC thus orginally being the K for kurz or short and later renamed SLC as it was the equiv of the C class or base model

thus matching up with GLA/GLC/GLE/GLS

So SL being the platform and the last char as the grade.

that said as I mentioned that was my thoguhts and are prob completely wrong!

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20

SL
SLS

SL being the mid range
and SLK/SLC thus orginally being the K for kurz or short and later renamed SLC as it was the equiv of the C class or base model

I just asked a question….doesn't need to become more.
Thanks @morgand for telling me your own experience e with Mercedes’

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7

SL
SLS

SL being the mid range

Huh... I always thought the 'K' in Merc nomenclature was for 'kompressor' or turbo basically. And that the last letter denoted the 'class' (as per your GL series example - these all have different chassis based on their comparative A/C/E/S class variants).

TIL.

I have always like the mercs FWIW. The A45's are absolute bangers, and I had one of the 2018 E class launch editiions which was just flawless. I was sceptical about the superlarge screen, but it was unreal.

In other news, my Z is in the hands of MCA Suspension today. Stay turned.

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Huh... I always thought the 'K' in Merc nomenclature was for 'kompressor' or turbo basically. And that the last letter denoted the 'class' (as per your GL series example - these all have different chassis based on their comparative A/C/E/S class variants).

TIL.

I have always like the mercs FWIW. The A45's are absolute bangers, and I had one of the 2018 E class launch editiions which was just flawless. I was sceptical about the superlarge screen, but it was unreal.

In other news, my Z is in the hands of MCA Suspension today. Stay turned.
yeah when they released in au they only had the 230SLK and yes played that off as kompressor i remember seeing it in all the media at the time.

then as they moved to na ones yeah that vanished.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
MCA awesome! What colour coilovers did you go?
I'll get Reds out of it, but have been working on a customs anodization of the retaining rings - in yellow lol. I'm also trying to get someone to donate me a set of air cups, because I want to go a little lower, but my driveway (or pretty much any driveway really....) says NO.

Today will just be a measurement and compatibility test. Should have the new gear installed in 3-4 weeks.

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
I'll get Reds out of it, but have been working on a customs anodization of the retaining rings - in yellow lol. I'm also trying to get someone to donate me a set of air cups, because I want to go a little lower, but my driveway (or pretty much any driveway really....) says NO.

Today will just be a measurement and compatibility test. Should have the new gear installed in 3-4 weeks.
Air cups look great. I'd been keen on slapping on red MCA and air cups on my proto too.
Keep us posted
Cheers