Hands Up all the Aussies

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I was told that if the dealer had a car and customer cancelled Nissan would re-assign it to the next person in the queue.
I would take that to be the next person on the queue in the state.
The only way I see cars should be allocated out of order is if some how a large number of say blue or yellow cars got loaded for a NSW ship, easier to to allocate within the state rather than transport interstate.
At this stage I’m over it.
No excitement left, not much enthusiasm either.
If I find something comparable for the price I’m out….issue is there isn’t much at the moment

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
@Proto Z

Ok I guy I work with, that knows I've been waiting a long time for my Z just messaged me to say:

" I think you're being played. I know someone who ordered the new Nissan Z 2 weeks ago and they picked it up on Saturday
30_f.png
"

Then he sends me a pic from his friend of the other Newstead Proto

1665380737057.png

I tried to tell him it must have been ordered ages ago and perhaps something is being lost in the story, but he is adamant the guy knows the dealer and only purchased it because it just became available
So someone cancelled their Proto order last minute?
Hehe, nice!

Reading between the lines of what the dealer was saying - it did sound as if there was originally a buyer lined up, but they pulled out (finance maybe?) after the car had left Nissan AU pre-delivery, but had arrived at dealer site.

My dealer had told me that they would be reallocated by Nissan AU only up until the last minute, but then they become property of the dealership.

That may not tickle everyone's fancy, but it kinda makes sense. I genuinely, GENUINELY don't think the dealership were doing anything dodgy here. They've honestly been really helpful for me. Also don't think the dealership knew the guy beforehand... he may have simply been the next one in line...

Actually, bit of an update on that - I did end up getting free floor mats all round, as well as the paint protection, interior protection and tinting.

I did NOT get any sort of certificate/plaque thing that i'd heard about might be getting handed out to Proto owners... Gotta say, I'm a little bummed by that. I had heard there might be two - one that stays with the car, and one that can stay with the original owner.
It's probably not worth much, but I would have liked it.

Also, sitting at around 350km so far. Average fuel consumption is over 16 l/100km.
I've not gone above 4k rpm, or put the accelerator anywhere near the floor yet.
She's a thirsty gal.

I’m currently in the depths of Iceland with no phone, can someone else please ring Nissan Newstead for a please explain?
They were talking to me about the other buyer - none of the sales guys gave any impression they knew him from a bar of soap. In fact, when I picked it up, they'd been trying to call him for a couple of days and he wasn't picking up. I offered to buy the second one while I was there lol.
(one for spare parts 🤣 )

I had to go back late on Saturday afternoon to get my floor mats and they said he'd picked it up. Apparently he was too nervous to drive it down the road to fill it with petrol (yes, dealership normally fills it up - mine was full, but there was a complication). One of the sales guys ended up driving him down... poor fella! Hope he got it home safe!

Last edited:

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
On the middle part of the indicator stalk

I'd love to see pics of reverse and fog light on please

20221005_070532.jpg
Sorry, only just saw this.
I worked this out just today - the right hand section needs to be in the headlight on mode also (ie, not auto).

I'll try to get some better pics on Thursday, but if you don't mind a shot of a dirty boot shot with a potato camera...

1665398980619.png

Reactions: Mud

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
It's kind of nice it has the factory subwoofer in it. A lot easier to tap into that feed for a LOC than using the door speakers. I didn't really expect it to perform amazing, stock head units have so much bass roll off, it's ridiculous. I have a pair of 12's in my daily driver, kept the factory touch screen head unit, and utilize an Audio Control LC2i tapped into the factory 6x9 woofers in the deck
This is a very good point.
If the aftermarket all-in-one solution works, it'll save me a pretty penny.

That would be awesome. Very curious if it has any affect on the ANS or synthesised engine noise.
Can't see it affecting noise suppression - even if the existing sub is receiving those frequencies, it is doing absolutely nothing to assist... I promise.

I am also of the understanding that there is no artificial engine noise? At least none I can hear.
There is definitely noise there, but I'm almost certain it's natural - though it's possible they have some sort of recirculation pipe/valve just behind the firewall to have it heard in the cabin.
If it is artificial, it's very, very good. I've heard fake notes before, and this is nothing like it. (IMHO - take with a grain of salt).

I might try to get some audio samples up for ya'll. I just don't have good recording gear I'm afraid.
I promise you all though, the factory sub is absolutely useless. I'll tear it apart for a looksee when I've got something new sorted, but I'm pretty sure it's like 4".

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Sorry, only just saw this.
I worked this out just today - the right hand section needs to be in the headlight on mode also (ie, not auto).

I'll try to get some better pics on Thursday, but if you don't mind a shot of a dirty boot shot with a potato camera...

1665398980619.png
Any news at your dealer as to when the coupes are hitting …I’m going to be honest, I’m at the end of my rope waiting
Been looking online. A few nice 370zs including a Nismo 2021 in great condition low km, still under warranty.
Also a tone of 2022 BRZs ready to be sold off from dealers, some mustangs and some Mercedes …I really want the Z, but in all honesty this is making me depressed.
Very little to look forward to the last two years, this was it for me…driving a crappy rusted I20 is doing nothing to put a smile on my face, and I totally regret selling my Peugeot

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Any news at your dealer as to when the coupes are hitting …I’m going to be honest, I’m at the end of my rope waiting
Been looking online. A few nice 370zs including a Nismo 2021 in great condition low km, still under warranty.
Also a tone of 2022 BRZs ready to be sold off from dealers, some mustangs and some Mercedes …I really want the Z, but in all honesty this is making me depressed.
Very little to look forward to the last two years, this was it for me…driving a crappy rusted I20 is doing nothing to put a smile on my face, and I totally regret selling my Peugeot
Nope. They aren't even sure when their demo is coming tbh... They were meant to have it by now, but it wasn't loaded as scheduled in Japan, and it's gone back to the factory to have the transmission problem fixed.

They said this is not exclusive to the Z- it's a direct result of chip shortage for air con and infotainment units. All their new models are affected, and they were pretty open with me that the Z was probably the least of their concerns (from a dealership perspective). They must be losing orders by the tens, if not hundreds, because they can't get SUVs into their dealerships.

The reason Toyota, Ford, et al can get new cars in is because they have better deals in place with the chip makers. End of story.

Consumers hating dealers, dealers hating Nissan AU, Nissan AU probably hating Nissan Global, Nissan Global probably hating whoever the fuck is making (or not making....) chips.
Nissan AU probably should say something... But... What?
"We don't have any idea when you cars are coming because we can't even make them just yet... Soz!"
Like if they give ANY sort of date they'll get crucified if they can't meet it.

As always, not trying to stir a pot- just my honest opinion and understanding based on what I've heard from my dealer and other manufacturers (I do a lot of work for a couple of other brands, and I'm hearing of ~2 year wait times pretty consistently on new models).

It sucks that the wait goes on for our new cars, but it sucks more for the people in countries where these silicon chips are made- between flooding, landslides, associated food and power shortages, not to mention COVID which hit them a lot harder than it did here with our free public health system. Then factor that car makers (all of them, not just Nissan) cancelled a shit ton of semiconductors fearing a decline in new car demand when COVID hit... It's going to be a good 6-12 months before we reach pre-Covid levels of production according to a lot of modelling.

It's really probably not a bad shout just to take whatever car you can get right now. Hang onto your Z order- someone will buy it off you, even if you've moved on!
Or, accept that you probably won't see it until after luna new year (end of Jan) 2023 and that there is really nothing the dealers or Nissan AU can do about it...

EDIT: re-reading that I hope I didn't come across too callous. End of a very long day for me and I'm knackered.
I fear that if you're already this frustrated with the car, you won't love it when you get it. And that would be a real shame I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
They said this is not exclusive to the Z- it's a direct result of chip shortage for air con and infotainment units. All their new models are affected, and they were pretty open with me that the Z was probably the least of their concerns (from a dealership perspective). They must be losing orders by the tens, if not hundreds, because they can't get SUVs into their dealerships.
Best tell that to Subaru and Hyundai that have cars arriving that were revealed way before the Z …time for excuses is over

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Nissan AU probably should say something... But... What?
"We don't have any idea when you cars are coming because we can't even make them just yet... Soz!"
Like if they give ANY sort of date they'll get crucified if they can't meet it.
“We’ve received your order and are working on getting a car to you. We value you as a customer and apologise for the delay. Thank you for your patience.”

Something like this would go a VERY long way. To this day Coupe customers are yet to receive any correspondence.

(I do a lot of work for a couple of other brands, and I'm hearing of ~2 year wait times pretty consistently on new models).
As many of us have been saying for months; the delays are understandable and primarily out of Nissan’s control, we get it. Where they’re falling unacceptably short is the deliberate absence of communication.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
John Cadogan’s take on Nissan Australia’s customer service.

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z
If I hadn't decided to order the 10th Anniversary BRZ, I would be getting into a normal one. By all accounts a super fun car to drive. I don't think you'll lose much on resale as I am sure their supply will run a bit dry. Maybe take one for a test spin. Who knows, maybe you'll love it enough to wait for a Nismo Z. :D

Last edited:

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Best tell that to Subaru and Hyundai that have cars arriving that were revealed way before the Z …time for excuses is over
Buying power I guess. I know Ford and Toyota aren't having anywhere near the sorts of issues, but they have much better position for negotiation. (That's an educated guess)

dangero

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C63 AMG, Lotus 7
Occupation
CIO
I just had a conversation with my dealer regarding my Proto order that was cancelled a week ago.

I honestly cannot believe the news that is coming... Stay tuned, things are going to get a lot lot bumpier.

Brace yourselves people...

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
I just had a conversation with my dealer regarding my Proto order that was cancelled a week ago.

I honestly cannot believe the news that is coming... Stay tuned, things are going to get a lot lot bumpier.

Brace yourselves people...
Don't leave us hanging like that!