Hands Up all the Aussies

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I recently became aware of a despicable trade practice where car dealers will strip perfectly good tint of traded cars because it gives them a chance of selling new tint at silly margins. It becomes a bit obvious when a car has been traded back to a dealer at <12 months old with <5000km with tint that was originally sold at new by the same dealer - and then it appears on the used car lot minus the perfectly good tint. They were pretty embarrassed when called out about it. Tried to say that it was a safety thing and that they couldn’t assume it was legal tint - which was complete bollocks and they knew it. The ended up admitting to the practice.
Wow.. I'm speechless yet somehow not surprised. Great investigative journalism!

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
What is the third picture? Damage?
Small scuff on the spoiler.
Despite having what appeared to be a lot of dried polish all over it, the car had at least half a dozen small rubs and very light scratches on it .
I would not be happy with those on my 2009 car let alone a 2023.

I can only assume that it's arrived and they've chucked it out for display without a good detail.
I guess they've waited as long as any other dealer and just want to get bums in it for test drives.

I couldnt see the build date for this one though.

I'm lucky enough to have sat in 4 different new Zs now. Should I start a youtube channel?

2in2out

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FG Turbo Ute
Occupation
Firefighter
Hey folks, long time lurker...like.. start of the thread lurker.
As most are I'm in the "ordered ages ago and still awaiting any form of concrete communication on when I may ever see my Coupe" category.
Didn't think I'd get to the point where I'd be contemplating cancelling but it's becoming a real struggle to stay the course. Especially when I have other options that interest me approaching ever closer.
I've been a Nissan guy forever, they have always been my JDM out of the Mazda,Toyota, Nissan flavours. Have has built FDs though, Owned a few different Zs over the years but nothing in recent times.

I seen on one of the FB group someone who says they had their "allocation" and the dealer mentioned that coloured interiors won't even come this year. Reads as utter dealer bs to me but there is always some truth to rumours.
See what news..if any (like usual) eventuates from my dealer in the coming weeks...months.....years 🤣

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
Yes, the windows aren't tinted from factory. The whole package was $1700. It would have been $1400 without the graphene.
Contacted Tint Haus today as was very impressed by the way your car turned out, quoted me $1600.
Also a certain dealership we both know offered me an allocation of a cancelled Gun Metallic manual, thought about it and rang back to tell them thanks but will wait for the Blue

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
Hey folks, long time lurker...like.. start of the thread lurker.
As most are I'm in the "ordered ages ago and still awaiting any form of concrete communication on when I may ever see my Coupe" category.
Didn't think I'd get to the point where I'd be contemplating cancelling but it's becoming a real struggle to stay the course. Especially when I have other options that interest me approaching ever closer.
I've been a Nissan guy forever, they have always been my JDM out of the Mazda,Toyota, Nissan flavours. Have has built FDs though, Owned a few different Zs over the years but nothing in recent times.

I seen on one of the FB group someone who says they had their "allocation" and the dealer mentioned that coloured interiors won't even come this year. Reads as utter dealer bs to me but there is always some truth to rumours.
See what news..if any (like usual) eventuates from my dealer in the coming weeks...months.....years 🤣
I hope the thread has been entertaining for you!

Glad to have another person to share the wait with.
I hope you are able to hold out. We're almost there!

Last edited:

2in2out

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FG Turbo Ute
Occupation
Firefighter
I hope the thread has been entertaining for you!

Glad to have anther person to share the wait with.
I hope you are able to hold out. We're almost there!
It's been entertaining, I think April 2021 is forever burnt into my brain 🤣

I'll give my dealer a call tomorrow to fish for any update or if their demo is in for a test drive to revive my desire. I've been holding out not test driving until I'm on the edge of cancelling as a means to pull me back in

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
Contacted Tint Haus today as was very impressed by the way your car turned out, quoted me $1600.
Also a certain dealership we both know offered me an allocation of a cancelled Gun Metallic manual, thought about it and rang back to tell them thanks but will wait for the Blue
Guess they thought I was a sucker. It's worth it though I think - it's been rained on today and the water beads and rolls straight off.

Most colours look good on the Z. I reckon the blue is one of the best though. The Z is drawing a lot of attention here in Forster. In Sydney the only people that seemed to care were other car enthusiasts but here it's getting looked and pointed at everywhere it goes.

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z
I’d be surprised if it comes tinted. That’s where the dealer’s make most of there money! I recently became aware of a despicable trade practice where car dealers will strip perfectly good tint of traded cars because it gives them a chance of selling new tint at silly margins. It becomes a bit obvious when a car has been traded back to a dealer at <12 months old with <5000km with tint that was originally sold at new by the same dealer - and then it appears on the used car lot minus the perfectly good tint. They were pretty embarrassed when called out about it. Tried to say that it was a safety thing and that they couldn’t assume it was legal tint - which was complete bollocks and they knew it. The ended up admitting to the practice.
Yes, this is fairly standard practice, though not necessarily about selling opportunities.

Whilst it may seem silly, there is a genuine risk if the source of any aftermarket product is unknown.

Used vehicles sold through motor dealers must come with a statutory warranty.

When 100+ cars a month are going through the reconditioning process it becomes more efficient to strip tint or remove other aftermarket products. You have to remember that a reconditioning mechanic is not necessarily going to be an expert in tint for example. Additionally once the car leaves a dealership there is nothing stopping an owner from having the tint changed if they want darker then legal tint...

In your instance there is an argument that they could have potentially avoided this. :)

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z
Guess they thought I was a sucker. It's worth it though I think - it's been rained on today and the water beads and rolls straight off.
Whether it does or doesn't have a material impact on paint performance, the value in any of these coatings is the warranty component. Make sure you follow the guidance in the warranty booklet, so that if you do get any imperfections they are repaired. ;)

Personally I don't choose to have these applied. However, I am pretty careful when it comes to washing the car in such a way to avoid swirl marks and micro scratches in the clear coat. Additionally I apply a good wax based polish often, and typically flip cars too soon to enjoy any warranty payback.

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
Whether it does or doesn't have a material impact on paint performance, the value in any of these coatings is the warranty component. Make sure you follow the guidance in the warranty booklet, so that if you do get any imperfections they are repaired. ;)

Personally I don't choose to have these applied. However, I am pretty careful when it comes to washing the car in such a way to avoid swirl marks and micro scratches in the clear coat. Additionally I apply a good wax based polish often, and typically flip cars too soon to enjoy any warranty payback.
I never considered these type of coatings in the past and like you am very meticulous in the way I wash and polish my cars, but this time round I thought what the heck these new ceramic and graphene type of coatings have advanced in leaps and bounds, so this time around I'll give it a go.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
How do they have a gun manual available to sell?

As to the BRZ bring on the water…it’s crazy to think how far behind Nissan is, both in terms of car delivery and the way they communicate to their buyers.
The above email keeping us up to date would be very much appreciated