(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Not sure why everyone hangs a cars identity on some BS drag race result. Big shock there is always another car faster in a straight line. When an EV Equinox Redline Editiom blows the doors off a Z will that make the car trash?
Jason said they have track test results coming too. That's what I'm more interested in. I have a feeling I know the outcome of that as well.

The Z is gorgeous looking. Unfortunately that lady from performance and the bean counters really screwed the car, they let down the design team.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Jason said they have track test results coming too. That's what I'm more interested in. I have a feeling I know the outcome of that as well.

The Z is gorgeous looking. Unfortunately that lady from performance and the bean counters really screwed the car, they let down the design team.
What kills me is, this was supposed to be a hail mary play to get folks back in the showrooms.....just like the 350 did in 2003.

The thing is, the 350 was priced right.....cheap ass interior but the look and the performance were right - that's why EVERYBODY bought one. The only other Z I've seen on the streets in droves like that was the OG Z when I was a little kid in the 80s.

For 50k this is going to sell as well as the 370 did, that's not a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this truly is the last Z......all because of a funky ass 5 grand.

dezoris

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Buguatti Trax
Occupation
CUV Enthusiast
What kills me is, this was supposed to be a hail mary play to get folks back in the showrooms.....just like the 350 did in 2003.

The thing is, the 350 was priced right.....cheap ass interior but the look and the performance were right - that's why EVERYBODY bought one. The only other Z I've seen on the streets in droves like that was the OG Z when I was a little kid in the 80s.

For 50k this is going to sell as well as the 370 did, that's not a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this truly is the last Z......all because of a funky ass 5 grand.
What if they made a 42k spec with brakes and LSD? Like at what point is the price right?

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
What if they made a 42k spec with brakes and LSD? Like at what point is the price right?
Give me a true "Sport" trim for 42k (wheels/brakes/sways/LSD/RevMatch) I'd buy it right now, take it to the shop tonight and go Supra hunting tomorrow.

It's the 50k MSRP that's killing it......I wanted Blue on Blue and a carpeted trunk, that jacks the price up to about 53k (same as proto) and then there's Taxes, Fees, Destination and then we come to dealer markup - Now your 50k car is more like a 60k car (if you're lucky)

Last edited:

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Give me a true "Sport" trim for 42k (wheels/brakes/sways/LSD/RevMatch) I'd buy it right now, take it to the shop tonight and go Supra hunting tomorrow.

"rev match" manual is even slower than the Mercedes Auto.

Going to be a lot of disappointed "Supra Hunters" later this year
Wonder if any loss videos will be posted?

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Well, if they gave a "sport model" a sporty diff and sporty brakes at $42k, that would be acceptable.

Surely you can understand the value of a LSD and brakes on an "enthusiast" car.

And I still question all of their tire selections. Bridgestone was probably the lowest bidder.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
That is precisely the trim that I wanted Nissan to make. And if they also threw in the Synchro Rev Matching at that price, I'd very much want to buy one. Oh, and in this hypothetical scenario, I'm pretending the new Z would be readily available and that ADM wouldn't be a thing either, lol.

BTW, I'm not saying the $50k price is wrong for anybody else. I can easily see the justification/rationale for why some are 'happy' to pay it. I'm just saying that for where I'm at in life, I gotta draw the line somewhere.

dezoris

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Buguatti Trax
Occupation
CUV Enthusiast
That is precisely the trim that I wanted Nissan to make. And if they also threw in the Synchro Rev Matching at that price, I'd very much want to buy one. Oh, and in this hypothetical scenario, I'm pretending the new Z would be readily available and that ADM wouldn't be a thing either, lol.

BTW, I'm not saying the $50k price is wrong for anybody else. I can easily see the justification/rationale for why some are 'happy' to pay it. I'm just saying that for where I'm at in life, I gotta draw the line somewhere.
You know Nissan is reading this right?
I agree with you. The 40k price was for tuners who want a base car. They should have had an in between. My guess is that will happen.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
"rev match" manual is even slower than the Mercedes Auto.

Going to be a lot of disappointed "Supra Hunters" later this year
Wonder if any loss videos will be posted?
Realistically, bullshit aside - the only think keeping me out of a Supra is the fact it's a BMW motor (I did time with a N54) and the B58 "quirks and features" are starting to pop up in the 240s and 440s.......only a matter of time until the Supra and Z4 stars feeling them too.

The biggest issue was fixed, it'll have a stick (with rev match to boot!)

I'm seriously going to test drive a stick Supra when they finally drop.......see how it feels.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
You know Nissan is reading this right?
I agree with you. The 40k price was for tuners who want a base car. They should have had an in between. My guess is that will happen.
I think this hypothetical "Track trim" or whatever we wish to name it is what many in the community were looking for, really. Don't need leather appointment, don't need a larger infotainment screen or more speakers or the spoiler, etc. Just wheels, brakes, LSD, firmer suspension setup.

Hell, if they are permitted to do so, they could strip out some of the more advanced safety equipment (lane assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, and the like) only leaving what is legally required. Then show me that for like $42k. 🤟

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I think this hypothetical "Track trim" or whatever we wish to name it is what many in the community were looking for, really. Don't need leather appointment, don't need a larger infotainment screen or more speakers or the spoiler, etc. Just wheels, brakes, LSD, firmer suspension setup.

Hell, if they are permitted to do so, they could strip out some of the more advanced safety equipment (lane assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, and the like) only leaving what is legally required. Then show me that for like $42k. 🤟
This right here. The $10k jump from sport to performance is fucking asinine, especially with nothing in between.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO

That's the real "enthusiast" or "sport" trim.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
This would be spot on for me, without a doubt.