First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
First of all it's GRM (GrassRoots Motorsports) great tech publication for many years now, I'm still subscribing. On this test, it's obvious the Z's chassis, suspension, tires just couldn't keep up with the power. It has enough power but, coming out of corners (exit speed) suffers each time, so the Z can't get the power down soon enough. Even the Supra and BRZ does this better. Tires are squealing everywhere, ugh those S007s! Can't get power down and slow thru the kink. It's a small track, very tight most places with short straights, very chassis intensive. The aftermarket has to jump in SOON to fix these problems, for those of us pushing it to limits.

1662144100945.jpeg

OP
OP

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
First of all it's GRM (GrassRoots Motorsports) great tech publication for many years now, I'm still subscribing. On this test, it's obvious the Z's chassis, suspension, tires just couldn't keep up with the power. It has enough power but, coming out of corners (exit speed) suffers each time, so the Z can't get the power down soon enough. Even the Supra and BRZ does this better. Tires are squealing everywhere, ugh those S007s! Can't get power down and slow thru the kink. It's a small track, very tight most places with short straights, very chassis intensive. The aftermarket has to jump in SOON to fix these problems, for those of us pushing it to limits.

1662144100945.jpeg
yep my bad, fixed now. it seems more problems than just exits, longer straight lines graphs exactly match 220hp BRZ, and it doesnt look like no traction there. for tires i dont remember who exactly tried michelins and it just worsen already too soft suspension issues

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I keep hearing "no quicker in a straight line than a BRZ"

I need that one explained to me, as the 6MT Z is significantly faster in a straight, and the 9AT would obliterate both.

Someone in the wrong gear? Heat soaked? Traction issues?

I consider the new 86 to be "slow" for a modern vehicle, even compared to many trucks it's slow in a straight line.....

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
@takemorepills I suspect from seeing that video, traction limited but mainly from too soft susp, lazy weight transfer plus squealing tires made it worse. Really hurt coming off corners.

Could be wrong gear selection too, need to review the video more, see where the tach sits at those points.

White_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
It really is disappointing. The title of the video is also very harsh. Lol

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I keep hearing "no quicker in a straight line than a BRZ"

I need that one explained to me, as the 6MT Z is significantly faster in a straight, and the 9AT would obliterate both.

Someone in the wrong gear? Heat soaked? Traction issues?

I consider the new 86 to be "slow" for a modern vehicle, even compared to many trucks it's slow in a straight line.....
Lot more to speed on track than hp. If you canā€™t corner and get the weight over the power coming out of a turn your straight speed is greatly reduced.

I also think the test cars are down on power from being passed around like a ho

It is going to disappoint on the track without another 10k. But we knew that. Old news

I am sure it will be a fun and fine gt cruiser

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Well u can pretty much guarantee that these test mules are still the ones getting passed around since may.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Lot more to speed on track than hp. If you canā€™t corner and get the weight over the power coming out of a turn your straight speed is greatly reduced.

I also think the test cars are down on power from being passed around like a ho

It is going to disappoint on the track without another 10k. But we knew that. Old news

I am sure it will be a fun and fine gt cruiser
I can see if you mean the speed a car can maintain coming out of a corner and into the next corner.

However, the op said "acceleration" which is not the same as carrying speed.

I admit I haven't watched the video, so just going by what the op stated.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I can see if you mean the speed a car can maintain coming out of a corner and into the next corner.

However, the op said "acceleration" which is not the same as carrying speed.

I admit I haven't watched the video, so just going by what the op stated.

Yeah, disappointing. Out of all of the reviews little GRM is really neutral and obviously hard core all about the track

I would be tempted to take a wrecked Z or a 40k one and be ok putting another 10k in track focused mods. If Z priced In the 50s you are better off starting with a Supra, Camaro, etc

If the Z is priced in the 60s it is just foolish to get one for the track.

I am biased toward track clearly. For GT cruising I donā€™t even want the Zupra. Really be in an old M convertible or a used but newer SL550. An 04 SL 550 was probably the best cruiser I have owned to date

All track rats are nut jobs. And we all cross support each otherā€™s illness. Still excited to see some fellow nut bring one to the track.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I would be tempted to take a wrecked Z or a 40k one and be ok putting another 10k in track focused mods. If Z priced In the 50s you are better off starting with a Supra, Camaro, etc
Not necessarily $10K if you start with Performance. A good set of coilovers, much better tires i.e. PS4s or PSC2, brake pads and fluids will really wake up the Z and be very predictable on track. I'd say about $5K to make it track worthy to start. It won't be as snappy oversteer as any BMW, Supra included, that was how my modded E46 M3 was. The Z will be more neutral handling as was already 'felt' by several reviewers. It will be a faster 'Miata' which for most drivers easier to control at the limit. I'm hoping and seeing the aftermarket jumping in, lots of 370Z upgrades cross over, way more excited now!

One great example - KW V3 - proven performance

1662167119166.png

https://www.z1motorsports.com/nfs/kw/kw-variant-coilover-kit-370z-g37-p-3384.html

Last edited:

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
It's clear at this point that the Z is not for the track, or a spirited B-road slayer. If you want the looks of the Z, and want to be competitive, buy the Sport trim, and with the $13k you saved from buying a "performance" trim dump it into suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, and diff. You'll probably have money left over for odds and ends, be it a TBE and tune or whatever. Maybe a nice wrap.

OP
OP

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
It's clear at this point that the Z is not for the track, or a spirited B-road slayer. If you want the looks of the Z, and want to be competitive, buy the Sport trim, and with the $13k you saved from buying a "performance" trim dump it into suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, and diff. You'll probably have money left over for odds and ends, be it a TBE and tune or whatever. Maybe a nice wrap.
that was exactly my thought, too bad i already preordered performance lol