Not open for further replies.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Interesting. Was just reading up on that approach - could be worthwhile if saving time and aggravations. A key though, seems finding a solid broker, which in itself could take some time digging around.
Agreed. Need to read more into this. In the alternative, I'd like to see what exactly would be required to become a broker. If it's nothing more than an LLC and insurance, would be tempting to setup my own brokerage.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Agreed. Need to read more into this. In the alternative, I'd like to see what exactly would be required to become a broker. If it's nothing more than an LLC and insurance, would be tempting to setup my own brokerage.
For the most part, dealers HATE brokers. It usually means higher discounts, less backend products, and no or minimal commission for salespeople.

Since brokers rely on dealer relationships to get cars and deals, you'll have to walk into that line of business with that already accomplished.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Interesting. Was just reading up on that approach - could be worthwhile if saving time and aggravations. A key though, seems finding a solid broker, which in itself could take some time digging around.
It saves so much time and aggravation. When I got my Supra, I was at the dealer I picked it up from for 15 min signing all the paper work and I was done. I even had the offer to do a home delivery and sign everything at home.

As someone who has never worked with or knew could even be an option. How does using a broker for a vehicle purchase work?
Its the same exact thing as working with a normal salesman without being at the dealership. The exception is that its more like working with the sales manager directly. The broker has to work with the dealer on pricing but for the most part its always at MSRP. However, with my Supra, there was an incentive on financing. If you used the brokers finance company, a discount was offered on the purchase. Again, this was not through the dealer but the finance company itself and only available through the broker.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
It saves so much time and aggravation. When I got my Supra, I was at the dealer I picked it up from for 15 min signing all the paper work and I was done. I even had the offer to do a home delivery and sign everything at home.

Its the same exact thing as working with a normal salesman without being at the dealership. The exception is that its more like working with the sales manager directly. The broker has to work with the dealer on pricing but for the most part its always at MSRP. However, with my Supra, there was an incentive on financing. If you used the brokers finance company, a discount was offered on the purchase. Again, this was not through the dealer but the finance company itself and only available through the broker.
When did you buy your Supra? If pre pandemic or beginning of pandemic, do you think youā€™d have the same experience today?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
When did you buy your Supra? If pre pandemic or beginning of pandemic, do you think youā€™d have the same experience today?
I got it a little over a year ago. So mid pandemic? There were 0 on the lot and I still had to wait a month to get it. I can still get a manual one at MSRP today (lot longer wait time), through the same guy, if I wanted. So nothing has really changed besides no lender discount. Same for my 86. Getting it at retail with no haggling.

OP
OP
McLovin157

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep

Interesting, I've never heard of anyone using anything like this to purchase a car. Heavily simplified it sounds like hiring someone to buy a car on your behalf. The only thing I don't particularly "like" is the financing option. I have no idea what kind of terms, conditions, rates, etc. the broker my provide but financing through the manufacturer is better 99% of the time. Obviously this doesn't apply to all individuals, situations, or cars but I don't know a single financial institution that is offering 0.9% out to 72 mos.

Last questions in regards to a broker is how much did that cost you? Is there a flat fee or a percentage of the vehicle purchase? How do they get paid?

OP
OP
McLovin157

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
If anyone is trying to get into a new commuter car take advantage of trade values while you can šŸ˜‘. At the auction looking at used Nissans and it is depressing. A new 2022 SV Sentra MSRP at $22k and 2021 Sentra SVs with 10-15k miles are being sold at auction for 24-26 grand......

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired
If anyone is trying to get into a new commuter car take advantage of trade values while you can šŸ˜‘. At the auction looking at used Nissans and it is depressing. A new 2022 SV Sentra MSRP at $22k and 2021 Sentra SVs with 10-15k miles are being sold at auction for 24-26 grand......
Donā€™t worry it wonā€™t be much long . SOON interest rates are going to shoot up and things are going to change big time .

Last edited:
OP
OP
McLovin157

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
Donā€™t worry it wonā€™t be must long . SOON interest rates are going to shoot up and things are going to change big time .
Projections for rates have maybe another month of stability before they start to rise.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Interesting, I've never heard of anyone using anything like this to purchase a car. Heavily simplified it sounds like hiring someone to buy a car on your behalf. The only thing I don't particularly "like" is the financing option. I have no idea what kind of terms, conditions, rates, etc. the broker my provide but financing through the manufacturer is better 99% of the time. Obviously this doesn't apply to all individuals, situations, or cars but I don't know a single financial institution that is offering 0.9% out to 72 mos.

Last questions in regards to a broker is how much did that cost you? Is there a flat fee or a percentage of the vehicle purchase? How do they get paid?
As you should know, most special manufacture interest rates don't apply to such vehicles. All models with limited production are exluded from the offer. At the time, Toyota finance was offering 3.9% while my brokers finance company was 1.9%. Haven't asked about it this time around though.

No idea how the guy gets paid. There was no fee to go through him. I am thinking he is hired on to the dealership some how and gets paid commission off every sale, like a normal sales guy.

OP
OP
McLovin157

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
As you should know, most special manufacture interest rates don't apply to such vehicles. All models with limited production are exluded from the offer. At the time, Toyota finance was offering 3.9% while my brokers finance company was 1.9%. Haven't asked about it this time around though.

No idea how the guy gets paid. There was no fee to go through him. I am thinking he is hired on to the dealership some how and gets paid commission off every sale, like a normal sales guy.
Thatā€™s interesting, you are correct halo cars typically are excluded from special financing options. Even still the fact that you couldnā€™t get 2.4-2.9% is crazy. The dealer must not have good banks.

I would like to do some reading into this. Itā€™s a super interesting concept that Iā€™m very interested in.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Donā€™t worry it wonā€™t be must long . SOON interest rates are going to shoot up and things are going to change big time .
Yep. Because the fed in the US wants further destruction of the middle-class they will push up rates to recession causing levels. Who does that hurt? Not the rich. Not the poor that couldn't get loans in the first place. But it's yet another transgression against the majority which is the middle-class, pushing them into lower class standards.

When dealerships start throwing money on the hoods of cars at that point, people with money will remember those who tried to screw them over. Unless that dealership makes a deal they can't refuse, they'll go elsewhere.

We may hopefully see the end of dealerships as we know it. See them go the Tesla route, just keeping the dealership for their repair centers for warranty work. Something Ford and GM already discussed. Imagine forcing salespeople into representatives, and they actually have to do Customer Service lol. Will be great.

OP
OP
McLovin157

McLovin157

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z Nismo
Occupation
Nissan Salesrep
Yep. Because the fed in the US wants further destruction of the middle-class they will push up rates to recession causing levels. Who does that hurt? Not the rich. Not the poor that couldn't get loans in the first place. But it's yet another transgression against the majority which is the middle-class, pushing them into lower class standards.

When dealerships start throwing money on the hoods of cars at that point, people with money will remember those who tried to screw them over. Unless that dealership makes a deal they can't refuse, they'll go elsewhere.

We may hopefully see the end of dealerships as we know it. See them go the Tesla route, just keeping the dealership for their repair centers for warranty work. Something Ford and GM already discussed. Imagine forcing salespeople into representatives, and they actually have to do Customer Service lol. Will be great.
Oh man if you know the kind of work that happens after the sale a salesrep is 100% customer service.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Frigginā€™ Scientist
I bought my Supra in December of 2020 and they were trying to give it away. I got it for around $7.5k under sticker. Granted, $2.5k was rebate.

Wow things went to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.