Finding a dealer who decides MSRP+T+T+T is Enough!

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
You are right about the winter and sports car thing. But wrong on the "prone to sell the car to make his numbers and possibly a bonus from Nissan" thing. Nissan hasn't had numbers to hit or bogeys since about 2016ish. Now it's just a per unit thing. So I sell them on the first of the month, the same way I do the last day of the month. Also, it's much smaller dollar amounts, too...and tied to a bunch of smaller qualifiers. Kind of wish they had the old way back. This new way is way too confusing.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
@Jughead , as you are dealer, Id love to hear your perspective on being order the car you want. Walk into a dealer, sit down with the salesperson, enter the order into the computer, some number of months later the exact car shows up. Happy customer. Hopefully happy dealer, too.

Nissan doesn't do this, but a lot of other manufacturers do. Should Nissan? Would Nissan?

I know I would have done this rather than calling all over the country if I could have.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Asked for a quote on a Performance MT, ridiculous! Won’t even reply, ugh.

1696625251182.jpeg

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
@Jughead , as you are dealer, Id love to hear your perspective on being order the car you want. Walk into a dealer, sit down with the salesperson, enter the order into the computer, some number of months later the exact car shows up. Happy customer. Hopefully happy dealer, too.

Nissan doesn't do this, but a lot of other manufacturers do. Should Nissan? Would Nissan?

I know I would have done this rather than calling all over the country if I could have.
So...there are pro's and con's to this. The problem is, the con's outweigh the pro's.
First, the dealers doing this got caught "ordering" cars to fictitious people just so they can have them.
Then let's say the customer is financing...what if something changes in their credit report over that time? What if they drop from a 720 to a 690? Banks wouldn't say ok, and the dealer is on the hook having it in inventory. Depending on the car, that could be good or bad. (see below) What if they are still a 720 and the rate on the term goes from 6.2 to 7.2 while it's being built and shipped?
What if the customer has a trade? That trade only gets more miles on it between the initial appraisal. Maybe damage. And, the book values can change. And no one (dealer or customer) likes to alter the deal once it's made.

Those are a few that come to mind and I have dealt with them all. When Nissan was letting customers pre-order Ariyas, for example, (don't get me started on electric cars) we had 3 customers "order them." One bought, no issues. One's credit dropped way way down and she couldn't even get approved. We gave her the deposit back. The other never came back to get it or called for their $500 deposit. Now I have 3 total electric cars that are as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

In a perfect world, a customer without a trade in could order a car, and go and sign a contract at todays rates and todays credit score, and not have the contract take effect until the car is delivered. As with most any corporation, common sense is usually lost to rules and legal crap.

This next few sentences will sound funny coming from a car guy...so strap in. If dealers weren't so greedy this wouldn't be a problem. Do NOT get me twisted when I say gross profit isn't a dirty word. When we have covid inventories on the ground, (as low as 2 new cars once) we marked up everything to non local customers 3-5k over sticker. That includes versa's, sentra's...everything. Because if we normally sell 100 cars at say, 2k per unit average, how would we survive selling 30 per month unless we did that? But we don't have covid inventories, we are somewhere between the lowest and what we normally would carry prior to 2020. I can get more cars. Slowly, but I can get em. I can't get more customers. And Nissan is on a turn policy now. So I can't get more Z's unless I turn what I do get fast. So I have been pre-selling them in hopes to get more. These schmucks selling 10-20k over and letting them sit for months will only hurt their chances at getting more of them.
Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
So...there are pro's and con's to this. The problem is, the con's outweigh the pro's.
First, the dealers doing this got caught "ordering" cars to fictitious people just so they can have them.
Then let's say the customer is financing...what if something changes in their credit report over that time? What if they drop from a 720 to a 690? Banks wouldn't say ok, and the dealer is on the hook having it in inventory. Depending on the car, that could be good or bad. (see below) What if they are still a 720 and the rate on the term goes from 6.2 to 7.2 while it's being built and shipped?
What if the customer has a trade? That trade only gets more miles on it between the initial appraisal. Maybe damage. And, the book values can change. And no one (dealer or customer) likes to alter the deal once it's made.

Those are a few that come to mind and I have dealt with them all. When Nissan was letting customers pre-order Ariyas, for example, (don't get me started on electric cars) we had 3 customers "order them." One bought, no issues. One's credit dropped way way down and she couldn't even get approved. We gave her the deposit back. The other never came back to get it or called for their $500 deposit. Now I have 3 total electric cars that are as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

In a perfect world, a customer without a trade in could order a car, and go and sign a contract at todays rates and todays credit score, and not have the contract take effect until the car is delivered. As with most any corporation, common sense is usually lost to rules and legal crap.

This next few sentences will sound funny coming from a car guy...so strap in. If dealers weren't so greedy this wouldn't be a problem. Do NOT get me twisted when I say gross profit isn't a dirty word. When we have covid inventories on the ground, (as low as 2 new cars once) we marked up everything to non local customers 3-5k over sticker. That includes versa's, sentra's...everything. Because if we normally sell 100 cars at say, 2k per unit average, how would we survive selling 30 per month unless we did that? But we don't have covid inventories, we are somewhere between the lowest and what we normally would carry prior to 2020. I can get more cars. Slowly, but I can get em. I can't get more customers. And Nissan is on a turn policy now. So I can't get more Z's unless I turn what I do get fast. So I have been pre-selling them in hopes to get more. These schmucks selling 10-20k over and letting them sit for months will only hurt their chances at getting more of them.
Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.
This really is Nissan Canada and USA problem and of course the sleazy Nissan dealers,Easy fix,Nissan sends email to dealers telling them they will receive no more Z cars if they sell over MSRP.Its done in retail all the time,I was in retail management for 47 years and if any of our high end products were sold above MSRP that dealer would be warned once then cut off, somtimes they would be cut off as a dealer for that brand.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Asked for a quote on a Performance MT, ridiculous! Won’t even reply, ugh.

1696625251182.jpeg
You should reply though. Offer msrp or your max and say call me if you want to sell the car today. That's how I got mine. Dealer wanted fucking 20k over and called me back later that day offering 5k over. Talked him into 2k and the rest is history.

They are always going to throw a stupid number first and TRUST ME, I know how annoying that is. It's like being slapped in the face lol.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
You should reply though. Offer msrp or your max and say call me if you want to sell the car today. That's how I got mine. Dealer wanted fucking 20k over and called me back later that day offering 5k over. Talked him into 2k and the rest is history.

They are always going to throw a stupid number first and TRUST ME, I know how annoying that is. It's like being slapped in the face lol.
Good point, that Z is still in transit, so can’t be sure if they wanted to show it first once arrived, and sitting for a few days. But worth a try, sure.

Congrats on your Z and approach👍

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
This really is Nissan Canada and USA problem and of course the sleazy Nissan dealers,Easy fix,Nissan sends email to dealers telling them they will receive no more Z cars if they sell over MSRP.Its done in retail all the time,I was in retail management for 47 years and if any of our high end products were sold above MSRP that dealer would be warned once then cut off, somtimes they would be cut off as a dealer for that brand.
Nissan has a rule where you can't advertise a new vehicle over MSRP or under invoice. That won't stop dealers from marking up once the customer shows up. What you are suggesting in theory is sound, but there is always someone finding away around a rule. Chevy dealers got caught "selling" their Vette's only to bring it back in as used and not be under the dealer pricing agreements. That's why you see more used Z's way over priced.

RedWinterZ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Silverado Trail Boss, 2023 Nissan Z
Have a hood deposit on hand an pre approval. Just need to find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP but apparently that's asking too much. Have a dealer far far away promising me a 2024 at MSRP when it arrives and I gave him a small small deposit. There is a 23 about 3 hours away i might call on herw in a few weeks if it's still there.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Good point, that Z is still in transit, so can’t be sure if they wanted to show it first once arrived, and sitting for a few days. But worth a try, sure.

Congrats on your Z and approach👍
Definitely worth a try! I found mine back in June but thank you. 😊

Dont get me wrong, plenty of dealers told me to fuck off lol. I said this in my build thread the day I bought it but man was it a frustrating process overall. Just took so much time and energy. I hope you stick with it though, I want everyone to get their car!

Hatoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Brz
Nissan has a rule where you can't advertise a new vehicle over MSRP or under invoice. That won't stop dealers from marking up once the customer shows up. What you are suggesting in theory is sound, but there is always someone finding away around a rule. Chevy dealers got caught "selling" their Vette's only to bring it back in as used and not be under the dealer pricing agreements. That's why you see more used Z's way over priced.
How does. Nissan enforce this new rule? Yesterday one of my local dealers posted their z in Facebook groups for 10k over MSRP.

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
How does. Nissan enforce this new rule? Yesterday one of my local dealers posted their z in Facebook groups for 10k over MSRP.
Unfortunately, FB and the social media sites are the wild west. They can only police the dealer's websites/ mailers/ and advertisements.