Dealership Collusion???

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
People just need to don’t buy these things. I recall a year later there were still some LE J29s with markups sitting on stealership’s lots.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
How dumb for a dealer to publicly admit price fixing?
He/she is looking for troubles.

Unfortunately, this goes for services as well.
For past few years, Mazda dealers near me had teamed up to raise prices of repair/maintenance services.
Here is an example of conversation.
"How much do you charge for brake pad replacement?"
"That would be $500."
"No way, I had it done to my other Mazda at dealer XYX for $300 a few months ago."
"Impossible. I know Mr. Jones of dealer XYZ."

It sounded like these service department managers sat down and agreed to raise prices due to COVIDs....
My guess only. No solid evidences... unlike this guy who admitted price fixing.
Good luck to him/her.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
How dumb for a dealer to publicly admit price fixing?
He/she is looking for troubles.

Unfortunately, this goes for services as well.
For past few years, Mazda dealers near me had teamed up to raise prices of repair/maintenance services.
Here is an example of conversation.
"How much do you charge for brake pad replacement?"
"That would be $500."
"No way, I had it done to my other Mazda at dealer XYX for $300 a few months ago."
"Impossible. I know Mr. Jones of dealer XYZ."

It sounded like these service department managers sat down and agreed to raise prices due to COVIDs....
My guess only. No solid evidences... unlike this guy who admitted price fixing.
Good luck to him/her.
That's been my experience at dealership service departments also.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Was asking a dealer about a proto-spec listing. Expected some degree of ADM but not nearly 2x MSRP... On top of that the vendor appears to have blatantly admitted to market collusion. Isn't this price fixing?

ADM.jpg
IMAGINE BEING THE FUCKING IDIOT THAT PAYS $95,125+ FOR A FUCKING Z.

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
For comparison, you can buy a 2016 Cayman GTS 6 Speed manual Certified Pre-owned 2-year unlimited miles warranty with only 8K miles for $7K cheaper, at $86,900. Original MSRP was $92,680 so it has depreciated a bit and risen with the recent tide of "market adjustment" but still a way better car and better deal.

1660938112367.png

1660938162854.png

1660938199109.png

1660938247493.png

1660938283843.png

Ckynus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
Film
They work together, we work together.

Two weeks ago they tired to sell me, and I assume everyone else that expressed interest, a 85k proto. This week they dropped it to 75k. We are getting closer, hold the line and don't bite.

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
Toyota of Dallas also has a nice $35K ADM on two Supras, the balls on these guys to list them as "A Superior Vehicle at an Affordable Price."

1660945714554.png

1660945832755.png

Screw all these greedy bastards, they have totally turned me against buying anything new or even going into a stealership until this madness is over.

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
Every local televsion news affiliate has a "consumer unit" with designated investigators/reporters. Unredact the names, and forward copy to the station directly. They exist to expose consumer frauds, rip-offs, and scams. This qualifies under all 3.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Toyota of Dallas also has a nice $35K ADM on two Supras, the balls on these guys to list them as "A Superior Vehicle at an Affordable Price."

1660945714554.png

1660945832755.png

Screw all these greedy bastards, they have totally turned me against buying anything new or even going into a stealership until this madness is over.
makes wonder what the z4 is going for...

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I smell a Class Action Lawsuit...

A naked agreement among competitors to fix prices is almost always illegal, whether prices are specified at a minimum, maximum, or within some range. Illegal price fixing occurs whenever two or more competitors agree to take actions to raise, lower, maintain, or stabilize the price of any product or service.

https://www.ftc.gov/advice-guidance...itrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing
But if they belong to the same corporate group….are they competitors?
I think that's how they would get around it
Sneaky, deceptive…definitely not open and transparent

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
But if they belong to the same corporate group….are they competitors?
I think that's how they would get around it
Sneaky, deceptive…definitely not open and transparent
"All the other Nissan dealers...the car will be selling for the same price all over this Region."

I can pretty much guarantee there are no dealer groups who own all stores in a Region.

Firstly, what company would put all their eggs in one basket by running only one manufacturer? A few bad years and they're done.

Secondly, a Region is usually a State, such as Florida, or half of a state, or it could be a collection of States such as the South (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee). Highly unlikely any dealer groups own a Region.

The closest example would be Southeast Toyota, but they are the Distributer for the Southern Region. Any Toyota which enters the Southern Region by rail, truck, or boat is through ST. Jim Moran helped Toyota get established in the 60's and his reward was Distribution. They also own Toyota Financing in the South Region.

When the 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder's came into port in Jacksonville, they ripped out the fabric guts of the seats and installed aftermarket leather covers, stripes, ToyoGuard paint sealant, etc. Unless your car was ordered with fabric seats, you got leather, for the most part.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
"All the other Nissan dealers...the car will be selling for the same price all over this Region."

I can pretty much guarantee there are no dealer groups who own all stores in a Region.

Firstly, what company would put all their eggs in one basket by running only one manufacturer? A few bad years and they're done.

Secondly, a Region is usually a State, such as Florida, or half of a state, or it could be a collection of States such as the South (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee). Highly unlikely any dealer groups own a Region.

The closest example would be Southeast Toyota, but they are the Distributer for the Southern Region. Any Toyota which enters the Southern Region by rail, truck, or boat is through ST. Jim Moran helped Toyota get established in the 60's and his reward was Distribution. They also own Toyota Financing in the South Region.

When the 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder's came into port in Jacksonville, they ripped out the fabric guts of the seats and installed aftermarket leather covers, stripes, ToyoGuard paint sealant, etc. Unless your car was ordered with fabric seats, you got leather, for the most part.
I understand that..I’m just saying these two stores are owned by the same group so not technically competitors, to catch them out you would have to prove those in other dealerships worked together…don’t get me wrong I think it’s disgusting and if you fellas in the US can get something out of it I would love to see you do it.
I’m just saying if it’s only these two dealerships that you have absolute proof of fixing prices, it may be tricky