Dealership Collusion???

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Currently, in USA, there's several manufacturers offering "online ordering". However, it's not what we want. It's born of the pandemic, a sales tactic to appease people too scared to go out to buy a vehicle (maybe overstating it a bit). All of these programs require you to choose a dealership to ship the vehicle too. And those dealerships are still free to conduct pricing and negotiations as they see fit, including markups.
Yep and the Ford Bronco scene has unfortunately had more than a few of these scenes, with customers finding out after waiting a year or more, their Bronco suddenly has ADM tacked on.

Such as this guy posting last week about it:

1661475645538.png

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Think all you want. Nissan doesn't offer it. That's why Dan bailed when the knives came out, he knew Nissan won't allow ordering direct. Unfortunately for me, I'm also trying to get a Tundra. Toyota also doesn't allow me to bypass dealership negotiations.

Seeing as how I don't want a C8 or a Tesla, I'm SOL!
You're missing my point. Most (if not all minus one) send all their cars to dealerships, regardless if they're ordered/built online or not. That middle man (dealerships) can pretty much do as they please (Z with a markup that equals two Zs with 10k mark ups each). Therefore we're paying the manufacturer AND dealer. If middle man is removed, we pay manufacturer ONLY (Tesla) and don't get fucked with hundreds of dollars of "document fees", tens of thousands in ADMs, and a "free" car wash.

It can be done. Fuck dealerships.

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
We have to wait until all the Proto Specs are sold (damned about their pricing!), then see what the 'normal' Sport and Performance will be stickered. Don't think will be as high as the ultra low volume Protos which will be grabbed by collectors anyway. Wait n see guys. Report here once you see and show us actual window stickers.
I really freakin hope the ADM's won't be the same for the sport and performance. Imagine paying $70k-$80k+ for the base model Z 😂

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
You're missing my point. Most (if not all minus one) send all their cars to dealerships, regardless if they're ordered/built online or not. That middle man (dealerships) can pretty much do as they please (Z with a markup that equals two Zs with 10k mark ups each). Therefore we're paying the manufacturer AND dealer. If middle man is removed, we pay manufacturer ONLY (Tesla) and don't get fucked with hundreds of dollars of "document fees", tens of thousands in ADMs, and a "free" car wash.

You'd have better chances of establishing universal health care in the US, which is the ONLY major industrialized country without it.

Franchise laws have been on the books for decades and are part of the bedrock of American Capitalism.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
You'd have better chances of establishing universal health care in the US, which is the ONLY major industrialized country without it.

Franchise laws have been on the books for decades and are part of the bedrock of American Capitalism.
Yeah well medicare isn’t tracking too well in Aus at the moment. Huge wait for elective surgery, huge shortage of Drs, and most of those we do have charging well above what they get from the government for a consult meaning patient pays the shortfall.
And that’s after being taxed to support the system.
Do I still want it…yeah. It’s better than user pays ALL costs, but it’s definitely not 100% and many can still nit afford health care

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

Yeah I totally agree, fuck dealerships. But, legacy dealership structures don't allow us to bypass the dealership networks, unfortunately.
Only a new car company, Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, starting from scratch, can write different structures.

We all saw how quickly Dan Passe was out once we started beefing about Nissan doing absolutely nothing. I think he totally agrees with us, but his employer gives zero fucks, or is in a legal responsibility to the dealers

Supremekai

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
Yeah I totally agree, fuck dealerships. But, legacy dealership structures don't allow us to bypass the dealership networks, unfortunately.
Only a new car company, Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, starting from scratch, can write different structures.

We all saw how quickly Dan Passe was out once we started beefing about Nissan doing absolutely nothing. I think he totally agrees with us, but his employer gives zero fucks, or is in a legal responsibility to the dealers
There are laws that forbid the manufacturer to sell direct to customers. And it is illegal for them to open their own dealship.

Tesla uses a loophole. But even then, some states also banned/limit that.

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
How do manufacturers even expect to sell these things? 86’s, Z’s, GR Corollas etc, there is absolutely no way with how dealers are screwing people.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
Yesterday I visited my Nissan dealer that I placed a deposit for a Z Proto at MSRP or a Sport or Performance again at MSRP. They had no information about anything so I reached out to Dan Passe and his reply is below

Passe, Dan
11:37 AM (6 hours ago)
to me
H Raymond, good to hear from you. I am sorry but I cannot control allocations of vehicles – it’s way out of my scope – and I don’t believe that Baron will be receiving one as I’m told that all dealerships getting one have already been informed.

Unfortunately the timing for allocations has been gone for some time and I do apologize about this.

Take care.

Dan Passe
Director, Product Communications
Nissan U.S.

I would happy ordering a Z in a different color like white with the bronze wheels like on the Proto , but no . Now I have to see if they sell me a performance at MSRP which is what my deposit is written up as

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier

I can dig it.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
There are laws that forbid the manufacturer to sell direct to customers. And it is illegal for them to open their own dealship.

Tesla uses a loophole. But even then, some states also banned/limit that.
You said it though. Tesla used those loopholes….Nissan seems to not even care

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
If Nissan were to try and use loopholes, they'd have a shit tornado of lawsuits coming at them from the dealerships.

The whole situation here is AIDS
But you do have laws yeah…..that say if they advertise a car with a VIN number they have to sell at said advertised price?
I would argue they could do similar to Aus.
On the car build, you build your car and a unique VIN could be given with price.
Sure you would still have to go to the dealer to pay and pick up just like we do…but if the price has been advertised through head office with a VIN then they would have to sell it at that price.
Here in Aus they don’t need to advertise the exact car, so no vin needed…just the Z
Once it’s priced and advertised, that's it. It’s what it sells for

I just find the situation ridiculous…but you already know that 🤣

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Well maybe they stop franchising if those franchisers can not be trusted to do the right thing.🤷‍♀️

There has to be ways of doing things that won’t harm their business model, otherwise ultimately their business will go bust ( as it’s already in financial trouble not hard to imagine) and there will be no more Nissan full stop