Crack in Windshield

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo, Stealth Grey
I noticed a crack in my windshield yesterday. I measured it at around 9 inches, so Safelite says a windshield replacement is called for.
Their estimate is $2300.

I wonder how long it will take to get a new windshield for this car? Maybe they can patch it up until the new windshield comes in?

20230519_093226.jpg

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
my parents had a crack in their C8 vette like that as it got a chip then cracked in the sun. took about 5 weeks for a replacement. couldnt be fixed but no issues driving it in that time while they waited

this might be a dumb question but the new Z doesnt use the 370 windshield does it? im thinking the slope is different? that could be a determining factor of how easily they are to come by

OP
OP

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My local Nissan dealer ordered a new OEM part with an 8 business day delivery from Tennessee.
Cost was $1622.80 prepaid, plus installation $530 something.

I'll probably have the break-in oil change done at the same time.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My local Nissan dealer ordered a new OEM part with an 8 business day delivery from Tennessee.
Cost was $1622.80 prepaid, plus installation $530 something.

I'll probably have the break-in oil change done at the same time.

Good to hear it's a quick turn around! Was it not a insurance claim?

OP
OP

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm paying this one out of pocket. If it happens again, I'll have the insurance cover it.

I have the feeling this is probably going to happen a lot, but after the car is a year old, aftermarket windshields should be available at less cost.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
I noticed a crack in my windshield yesterday. I measured it at around 9 inches, so Safelite says a windshield replacement is called for.
Their estimate is $2300.

I wonder how long it will take to get a new windshield for this car? Maybe they can patch it up until the new windshield comes in?

20230519_093226.jpg
Ouch!
DHCrossScorpio.JPG

“My, that’s a big one!”

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Their estimate is $2300.

20230519_093226.jpg
Any idea of how it happened? Evidence of a stone impact, rather than some glass defect? That's a hit having to pay for it out of pocket. :(

OP
OP

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think a rock hit it and the crack spread out pretty quickly. I have no idea when the rock hit it, but if you're going 90 miles an hour even a small rock will do some damage. I didn't notice it before I was driving home yesterday, and then it was there.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
Thanks for that info. Yes, indeed, I took a rock hit on my Avalon’s windshield last month and had to have it replaced. It really startled me and sounded like a blasted gunshot. :eek:

A Safelite tech came out and replaced it. A pleasant fellow and he did a great job.

OP
OP

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My windshield was supposed be replaced today, but the new windshield turned out to be broken when they opened the box.

I am starting to think the windshields might have a defect. I've never had to replace a windshield in 40 years of driving sports cars. Having one damaged in transit seems pretty unlikely because that's pretty routine and shippers should know how to handle them.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My windshield was supposed be replaced today, but the new windshield turned out to be broken when they opened the box.

I am starting to think the windshields might have a defect. I've never had to replace a windshield in 40 years of driving sports cars. Having one damaged in transit seems pretty unlikely because that's pretty routine and shippers should know how to handle them.

Happened to my dad with his C8. Ordered the replacement windshield and it was damaged and broken while being transported to the Safelite facility. They opened up the truck and it had a deep gash on it

So probably just bad luck

OP
OP

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This car has been so unlucky I'm calling it the Black Cat.
It got a flat tire two weeks after I got it, and then a cracked windshield. Now the replacement windshield came in damaged.

20230421_171155.jpg