"Etchings" on Windshield?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Has anybody else noticed "etchings" on their windshield?

I've actually noticed these for quite some time. At first I thought my windshield was just dirty, but after cleaning the windshield in a variety of ways the etchings are still there. They span the width and height of the windshield, and there are both horizontal and vertical etchings. I really only notice them when I'm driving into the sun (e.g., at twilight).

They look sort of like somebody did a bad job scraping ice off the windshield.

I tried to capture a picture. I'm not sure this really captures the scope of the problem. Just below the sun you can see lighter and darker bands.

1000018619.jpg

It's really annoying, but only at twilight.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
Yeah I noticed it too. looks like it got sandblasted but really can only see as the sun is setting in the exact scenario you showed. ive never noticed really during regular hours

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I noticed it too. looks like it got sandblasted but really can only see as the sun is setting in the exact scenario you showed. ive never noticed really during regular hours
Yeah. Perfectly fine at night or in the day, but kinda distracting driving into the sun.

I'm glad it's not just me.

I guess.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
now that ive read this post I notice it more. just now I was pulling in to my garage and my flood light hit the windshield just right and you can see its covered with tiny little specs

is this common in the Z or just in cars in general? no Idea if my 2023 had it as never thought to notice

I wonder what it is? something in the manufacturing process of the glass?

Bucko

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Permformance Black Diamond Pearl (Graphite)
My ā€˜23 Performance has the same issue, as did my ā€˜19 Mazda CX5. Ive also wondered about the manufacturing process, since mine had that issue straight off the dealerā€™s lot.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
now that ive read this post I notice it more.
Sorry about that, Matt.

just now I was pulling in to my garage and my flood light hit the windshield just right and you can see its covered with tiny little specs
I notice the bands more, but maybe it's bands of specs and no specs. The bands themselves are hard to see.

1000018625.png

In fact adding the red lines makes them even harder to see.

is this common in the Z or just in cars in general? no Idea if my 2023 had it as never thought to notice

IDK. I'd be interested if other Z owners have seen it.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My ā€˜23 Performance has the same issue, as did my ā€˜19 Mazda CX5. Ive also wondered about the manufacturing process, since mine had that issue straight off the dealerā€™s lot.
Yeah. I don't recall this on my G37, so something in newer cars? Or newer Nissans and Mazdas?

northshorez

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance,2024 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Retired
I have the same issue on both by 23 Z and my 22 Outback,Iā€™ve never noticed this on any of my previous rides so wondering if manufacturing process of windshields has changed?
Also wonder if it might be some type of ā€œcoatingā€applied which hasnā€™t cured and then gets scratched when cleaning windows?

northshorez

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance,2024 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Retired
Driving into the Sun yesterday and noticed the "etchings"are really bad
Any suggestions for cleaning up or maybe polishing?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
now that ive read this post I notice it more. just now I was pulling in to my garage and my flood light hit the windshield just right and you can see its covered with tiny little specs

My Pro-4x has the same.

At first I thought it was that stuff from trees, or overspray, but I tried to clean it and realized it is tiny little pits in the glass. Really annoying at certain light angles too.

OEM Nissan windshield