Not open for further replies.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Ok, I could be stirring up a can of worms…so please let’s keep everyone’s opinions civil.
Im genuinely interested in knowing what life is like in the World post lockdown.
Is life in general back to normal?
How are hospitals coping?
Is Broadway theatre back?
Can you travel between states?
Are small business up and running?

Reason for my curiosity is at the present time there is a huge debate going on in Australia. States are currently closed off from one another, travel is not permitted between many. Half our politicians say once we have 80percent vaccination life can resume …possibly even international travel, where as others want continued lockdown if we have more than 30 cases which I think is unsustainable, and is also an event I’ve to NOT get vaccinated.
There are MANY in Australia that think people are still dying in droves, and that everyone is still heavily restricted in nearly all part of the world, and that we are living the good life.
I think differently. I think a lot of countries are getting back to normal, deaths have slowed greatly and if anything our lives could become restricted far more than others for good.

So for those in the US, Canada and any other countries on the forum, what IS actually going on around the world, because I don’t feel that I can trust the media to be truthful, they love pumping up the fear factor
You shouldn’t trust the media. I personally think there is something bigger going on and we’re not being told the truth. Call me a conspiracy theorists but I have done my research.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
Vaccines are pretty safe and effective, but not perfectly so. Had folks in the US gotten vaccinated at higher rates, things wouldn’t be as bad as they are now. Had the unvaccinated been more careful, things wouldn’t be as bad as they currently are.

Turning this into a political issue has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, but….freedom!!!

Immunization campaigns date back at least 1,000 years, maybe much longer. Modern vaccines have saved countless lives.

it’s not a conspiracy.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Vaccines are pretty safe and effective, but not perfectly so. Had folks in the US gotten vaccinated at higher rates, things wouldn’t be as bad as they are now. Had the unvaccinated been more careful, things wouldn’t be as bad as they currently are.

Turning this into a political issue has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, but….freedom!!!

Immunization campaigns date back at least 1,000 years, maybe much longer. Modern vaccines have saved countless lives.

it’s not a conspiracy.
Yes…but that’s not my question…my question is what is life like in the US at the moment, have you largely resumed life as normal…are you permitted to travel to different states, go to the theatre etc.
I had my first Pfizer last Friday for the sole purpose that I would hope our country would open up again once we get to the targeted 80 percent vaccination…but now they seem to be back tracking on that promise.
My question is not about if it’s real or not…but rather what is life like in countries that have high vaccination rates

EDIT …I realise how this may read, it’s not intended. I’m genuinely interested in how people are living around the world given vaccination rates are rising in differing levels depending on country. It’s hard to know what’s going on around the world because our media in Aus are all doom and gloom…I’m looking for some hope

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
Yes…but that’s not my question…my question is what is life like in the US at the moment, have you largely resumed life as normal…are you permitted to travel to different states, go to the theatre etc.
I had my first Pfizer last Friday for the sole purpose that I would hope our country would open up again once we get to the targeted 80 percent vaccination…but now they seem to be back tracking on that promise.
My question is not about if it’s real or not…but rather what is life like in countries that have high vaccination rates

EDIT …I realise how this may read, it’s not intended. I’m genuinely interested in how people are leaving around the world given vaccination rates are rising in differing levels depending on country. It’s hard to know what’s going on around the world because our media in Aus are all doom and gloom…I’m looking for some hope
We are not back to normal, but much closer to normal than one might guess based on the infection rate. I think Covid fatigue is real and understandable and people are trying to go about their business as normally as possible. I don’t sense the foreboding that existed at the start of this whole thing. Lots of people are getting vaccinated and wearing masks as appropriate, some are doing neither.

I’m doing my best to simultaneously be prudent, but live as close to a normal life as possible.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
We are not back to normal, but much closer to normal than one might guess based on the infection rate. I think Covid fatigue is real and understandable and people are trying to go about their business as normally as possible. I don’t sense the foreboding that existed at the start of this whole thing. Lots of people are getting vaccinated and wearing masks as appropriate, some are doing neither.

I’m doing my best to simultaneously be prudent, but live as close to a normal life as possible.
Well that sounds very hopeful….do you know anyone who had it, and how long did it last. We hear the term “long covid” but because we have had so little infection here no one really understands it
Would you say long covid is the norm or on the lower side.

The thing is over here as I said we have not had many infections, we are starting to have conversations about opening up once we hit 80 percent vaccination, but of course this means we will get cases.
In NSW (Sydney) they are currently in the middle of the biggest outbreak the country has seen with around 800 cases per day the last week.
BUT they are also pumping the vaccines out, so far they have had just 75 deaths from the outbreak, where as VIc ( Melbourne) had 800 deaths at the start of the pandemic…they have similar numbers as in total cases…the difference being there was no vaccine available when Vic had their outbreak.
Here in WA ( Perth) we have no cases except for returning travellers in isolation, some want it to stay like that. But to do it would mean being locked out from the rest of the world forever….and if I’m honest I really am missing travel

So I guess in my head I’m just trying to figure out from people in countries who have been through far worse what the sweet spot is, and how much suffering happens with those who survive

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer

EDIT …I realise how this may read, it’s not intended. I’m genuinely interested in how people are leaving around the world given vaccination rates are rising in differing levels depending on country. It’s hard to know what’s going on around the world because our media in Aus are all doom and gloom…I’m looking for some hope
It all depends on where you are in the US. In places where the vaccination rate is higher, it actually seems as there are more restrictions (mask mandates, showing proof of vaccination to enter business, etc.) while the places currently with the lowest vaccination/highest infection rate are mostly restriction free.

All I know for sure is this. My wife is an RN at a hospital in northeast Georgia. Last night, they had 80 people in the ER waiting for beds. They're putting beds in previously private rooms because there's no place else to put people. My wife says this is the worst it has been since the start of the pandemic and it is probably only going to get worse before it gets better.

To top it off, many nurses are leaving the profession because they can't take the stress anymore. I heard on the radio yesterday there are 11,000 open nursing positions in my state.

Even friends and family members who were reluctant to get the vaccine see how bad it is and have changed their tune.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It all depends on where you are in the US. In places where the vaccination rate is higher, it actually seems as there are more restrictions (mask mandates, showing proof of vaccination to enter business, etc.) while the places currently with the lowest vaccination/highest infection rate are mostly restriction free.

All I know for sure is this. My wife is an RN at a hospital in northeast Georgia. Last night, they had 80 people in the ER waiting for beds. They're putting beds in previously private rooms because there's no place else to put people. My wife says this is the worst it has been since the start of the pandemic and it is probably only going to get worse before it gets better.

To top it off, many nurses are leaving the profession because they can't take the stress anymore. I heard on the radio yesterday there are 11,000 open nursing positions in my state.

Even friends and family members who were reluctant to get the vaccine see how bad it is and have changed their tune.
Interesting…but tell her she is doing a great job.
If it makes her feel any better here in Western Australia, we have ambulance ramping nightly …usually around 6 at our main hospitals EVERY night. Wait time at emergency can be up to 5/6 hours…and keep in mind we have 0 covid in the community at present. We too have shortage of medical staff, we are flying in over 200 from the UK and Ireland to help, but even that is silly, because we have a ton of newly graduated nurses who can’t get jobs.
I don’t know…seems like a crazy world at present

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N

My girlfriend is a CMA at a family practice, and for the first time since this all started they are extending their hours to help see patients that others cannot. Shortly after we first met many years ago she was a PCT at perhaps the same hospital that your wife works at. I'm really glad she's not doing that any more given the circumstances.

When I go out I see more people wearing masks again, though I don't notice many places where it's mandatory yet. It definitely feels like we are at a point again where things are getting worse before they get any better.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
If I’m honest…looking forward to getting my Z is the only thing keeping me a bit upbeat at the moment. I’m a traveller, and not having a holiday for two years to date is killing me, I know it’s a first world problem, I understand we are lucky….I just can’t help but feel down about it sometimes

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
They're just talking about a booster shot from J&J.
Ok …gotcha
I got my first Pfizer last week…apart from a sore arm felt fine.

I suppose the worry is still for those with underlying conditions. Today we had two deaths in Aus, both had one dose of the vaccine….both had underlying concerns.

This is the thing everyone here is freaking out because NSW is getting 900 cases a day….but to date, it’s just been 2 to 3 deaths each day. And whilst everyone matters ( of course they do) they have by and large been elderly or already battling other illness

Also interesting Vic at their peak had similar numbers…we lost 800 lives. That was BEfORE a vaccine was on offer.
NSW numbers as I said, very similar…however we have only lost 81 lives….our elderly are between 76% to 96% vaccinated ( first dose) depending on state. They are between 55% and 72% double vaccinated…I can’t help but think this is why the death rates are lower.
Not bad for a country who only started vaccinating 4 and a half months ago…16-60 percent is also gaining momentum quickly, hopefully we can keep it up, ecause I really need a holiday…and I don’t mean one in my own country

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yeah…even though I agree with vaccination, not sure if I agree with forced vaccination.
Everyone who wants it should get it, those who don’t fine….but they can deal with the fall out.
Those with immune issues will most likely need to go into lock down regardless

In Aus many industries now have forced vaccination. Those working in quarantine, health workers, those who work with the Elderly, some of the mining companies and Qantas airlines are all just a few implementing no jab no work policy ….we already have similar situations around schooling and other vaccines. For instance if there is an outbreak of measles, mumps etc unvaccinated kids can not attend school, vaccination records must be given on enrolment for childcare, kindy right up to the end of high school …there is also financial bonus for those families who have fully vaccinated children.
Our normal vaccination rate is for those over 5 is 95.18% but parents are a bit more wary of a new vaccination such as this.
Having said that. We were slow out of the gates to start vaccination but are catching up quickly now we have some vaccines…NSW has been one of the fastest in the world per capita

Status
Not open for further replies.