Break-in period

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
The manufacturers give journalists brand new cars to track. I don't know where those cars go afterwards, but I do know that modern cars leave the factory with all tolerances in spec, so you should be able to "full send" a new car without too much worry.

Believe it or not those media cars sometimes go to auction and end up at used cars dealers. I know 2 100% proven examples of a white GTR NISMO and a red 2019 track edition that members of my owners club were interested in buying. I did a little digging for them and found out the white GTR was used for many reviews including randy pobsts Laguna lap for motortrend and the red car was passed around to multiple journalist was wrecked had different wheels put on and The buyer had no clue before I told them. I doubt the dealerships even knew about the history both were purchased at auction

Last edited:

Thisguy298

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GTI
Full send it immediately and often. More than likely it's already broken in before it hits the dealership. Your piston rings and various seals will thank you.
While I absolutely think you are correct in the engine technically being broken in already, I think for some (including me), I'd rather take it easy for the first chunk of miles like the manual says to. Obviously if it's already broken, it'll throw a rod to the moon if you full send at 15 miles or 15000 miles. In the off chance that driving it softly the first 1000 or so miles corrects any sort of seal, I'd rather do that. Better safe than sorry. Of course, if you wanna full send a 400hp car right off the lot, be my guest haha, more power (literally) to you!

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
While I absolutely think you are correct in the engine technically being broken in already, I think for some (including me), I'd rather take it easy for the first chunk of miles like the manual says to. Obviously if it's already broken, it'll throw a rod to the moon if you full send at 15 miles or 15000 miles. In the off chance that driving it softly the first 1000 or so miles corrects any sort of seal, I'd rather do that. Better safe than sorry. Of course, if you wanna full send a 400hp car right off the lot, be my guest haha, more power (literally) to you!
I ripped a 1-4 pull banging the limiter in my Evo during my test drive which started with 2.3 miles on the odometer. Actually did that multiple times that day. A week or so after buying that car I rented out MIR with the mid-A Z group and ran 36 full send passes down the 1/4. More power to me indeed, lol - my Evo dynoed higher than similarly modded Evos and ran quicker and faster than similarly modded (or stock) Evos. Also had zero mechanical issues (until my third timing belt decided to change itself, but that's completely unrelated to break in). Similar stories amongst multiple people I know with different cars. And even though it's not TECHNICALLY the same, any engine builder will tell you to full send a freshly built engine during the initial tune (the tuners agree as well). I'll always stand by full send break ins.

Like you said, if something is gonna go wrong during that, it's gonna go wrong at 1000 (or whatever is in the manual) miles when the recommended break in is over.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
... and for someone planning on long term ownership, it's reasonable that they'd want to be careful to possibly extend the life of the car.
I'm about to hit 17 years with the Evo in a couple months. I'd say that qualifies as long term lol.

I can't believe it's been that long, holy shit. 2.5 years short than I've been married. Related fact - went full send with the wife when we first met back in high school. Another point for full send and long term 🤣

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I'm about to hit 17 years with the Evo in a couple months. I'd say that qualifies as long term lol.

I can't believe it's been that long, holy shit. 2.5 years short than I've been married. Related fact - went full send with the wife when we first met back in high school. Another point for full send and long term 🤣
full send w wife…. Smart way to break in. Seats the rings

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
An advertisement on why it’s not a good idea to buy second hand sports cars 🤣🤣
7CDD4CFE-D8BF-437F-AAB9-F432420D526E.jpeg

meh it’s a track car, not a gt4 or gt3 Gets oil changes every other month, probably better maint than a LOT of sports cars. When I sell it someone will be looking for a fast well taken care of track toy. Compression tests are pretty easy to do.

looking forward to seeing some Zs out on the track with us idiot track rats.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
Believe it or not those media cars sometimes go to auction and end up at used cars dealers. I know 2 100% proven examples of a white GTR NISMO and a red 2019 track edition that members of my owners club were interested in buying. I did a little digging for them and found out the white GTR was used for many reviews including randy pobsts Laguna lap for motortrend and the red car was passed around to multiple journalist was wrecked had different wheels put on and The buyer had no clue before I told them. I doubt the dealerships even knew about the history both were purchased at auction
That's probably not the kind of info that shows up on a Carfax report.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's probably not the kind of info that shows up on a Carfax report.
nope I had to put on my detective hat for that. for the white car i was able to find a picture in motortrends article that showed the VIN # on the door jam. for the red car is was process of elimination as red is super rare on that trim and it was easy to track down

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Having the VIN is the best to have, plus any build specific tags could be on another door jamb for more details, i.e. optional susp, axle type, transmission model. With that VIN, can also check recall history, other NHTSA stuff like airbags. Just be aware that Autocheck might give details but from what I found from previous buys it's not as complete as Carfax (although even Carfax doesn't show everything).

For me, I always keep a folder of ALL maint records, smog checks, etc. Almost always the first buyer that sees that buys the car. Really helps, shows some TLC. Sellers should make a point to do this.

Darth Zed

First Name
Alon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32, CT200h
Occupation
Insurance broker
Thanks dude….appreciate the help. I did kind of slip on the way home from the dealership and did a mildly aggressive pull….but just once.
Looks like you got white….I would’ve given my left arm if I could’ve found what I wanted in white but just couldn’t. There’s always vinyl I guess.
Thanks again,
Chris
20230312_202945.jpg

Just got mine today. I actually love the color but will probably do a wrap or matte ppf soon though.
I did the same thing, 2 little pulls on my way home and then babyed it the rest of the way.
I plan to keep it below 4k for the first 1200 miles. Just to be safe.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can hire this kid for Z break in miles

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads