Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
stinger gt
i think the exhaust tips are the same as the Q60 red sport
They may well look and be the same, I'm more interested in what is just before them.
I can't possibly believe that the exhaust configuration in the photograph (ie no real muffler) would pass any possible noise test without some sort of a valve
Hopefully we will get a photo showing inside of the exhaust tips, although I'm not holding my breath as I cant see any signs of one

Last edited:

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The VR30's sound is very docile on the Q cars. This muffler setup may very well be factory to give the Z a bit more aggressive, sporty sound.

The use of Tenneco is a departure from the Calsonic-sourced (or HKS for the Nismo trims) factory muffler sections seen on the more recent 370Zs. It's possible this is for the pre-production cars only, or this could be something entirely (the overall exhaust setup) to eek out a bit more juice from the factory to put the Z a step above the Q cars in HP ratings.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
The VR30's sound is very docile on the Q cars. This muffler setup may very well be factory to give the Z a bit more aggressive, sporty sound.

The use of Tenneco is a departure from the Calsonic-sourced (or HKS for the Nismo trims) factory muffler sections seen on the more recent 370Zs. It's possible this is for the pre-production cars only, or this could be something entirely (the overall exhaust setup) to eek out a bit more juice from the factory to put the Z a step above the Q cars in HP ratings.
...and hopefully a step above the zupr4 too. nissan has such a great chance to deliver a knockout punch, i sure hope they take their best shot!

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
They may well look and be the same, I'm more interested in what is just before them.
I can't possibly believe that the exhaust configuration in the photograph (ie no real muffler) would pass any possible noise test without some sort of a valve
Hopefully we will get a photo showing inside of the exhaust tips, although I'm not holding my breath as I cant see any signs of one
why not?? the zupr4 passed its sound test with all kinds of pops, gurgles and fart noises...

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
If I had to choose I'd rather the exhaust generated a better sound rather than an additional 5 hp, on a car this powerful that few hp is never going to be noticed except on drag strip timing slips. IMO 400 hp is more than enough for the street, I would have preferred 350 with 300 lbs of lard removed from the chassis....

JoaquinJr

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E46
I wonder how Nissan addressed weight distribution. From the looks of this picture the performance trim will not only not have that big heavy muffler but omit the spare tire most likely and then coupled with all the extra weight up front.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I wonder how Nissan addressed weight distribution. From the looks of this picture the performance trim will not only not have that big heavy muffler but the spare tire most likely coupled with the extra weight up front.
You reckon we will get a spare tire….very few cars come with them these days

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
You reckon we will get a spare tire….very few cars come with them these days
You might be right... on the spec sheet it only states Tire repair kit as Standard. I've been rolling without a spare for a long time because my car originally came with RFT's and no spare, so I didn't even really think about it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Do y'all have noise regulations in Oz?
Usually it's the EU with strict regulations, since the Z won't be sold in EU I reckon Nissan can make the Z more vocal.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It's possible this is for the pre-production cars only, or this could be something entirely (the overall exhaust setup) to eek out a bit more juice from the factory to put the Z a step above the Q cars in HP ratings.
Nissan already officially stated the power for both trims. Exactly the same as the RS Q's.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Yeah we do, the limit is supposed to be 90 decibels ….but there are plenty that get away with more.
Surprising that y'all have those regulations. My Australian friends used to tell me about all of the epic Australian market vehicles, I think Commodore, Falcon, Utes, mostly rwd with cool engines.... I guess times have changed

Petemo94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
11 G37 Coupe, 93 300ZX NA Coupe
Occupation
Engineer
The new exhaust design appears to be some kind of helmholtz resonater / sound canceling design. The length of the "H" connection between the two exhaust ports is purposeful to eliminate unwanted frequencies in a certain band. LOTS of thoughts go into that and this exhaust looks much lighter than prior models.

Interesting yet i see way to many similarities between this and the Z34 version. Nothing wrong with just making incremental improvements to a design that made a LOT of us happy over the year.