DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Turns out the SAE noise compliance tests for both the AT and MT cars that the Z must pass differ in their required procedures quite signiificantly, and as a consequence the MT car has a slightly quieter exhaust:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2023-nissan-z-gets-a-louder-exhaust-with-the-automa-1848892692

The 2023 Nissan Z Gets a Louder Exhaust With the Automatic Transmission
The manual-transmission Z needed a quieter exhaust to pass the drive-by noise test, while the automatic gets

away with a louder muffler.

"I can’t tell you how the car drives just yet—the embargo lifts on May 16th. But when I sampled six-speed manual and nine-speed automatic versions of the new Z back-to-back, I noticed a difference in the exhaust sound, and conversations with Nissan employees confirmed my suspicion: The automatic is slightly louder.

That’s because engineers can tweak the automatic to pass drive-by noise tests while using an exhaust system that’s more vocal in everyday driving. Automotive noise regulations are complex, and vary from place to place, but let’s use California’s test as an example—it’s one of the most stringent in the U.S., and California is enthusiastic about enforcing it.

Rest of article at https://jalopnik.com/the-2023-nissan-z-gets-a-louder-exhaust-with-the-automa-1848892692

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
wait sooo it the perf exhaust not even a performance exhaust cause it more restricted

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
wait sooo it the perf exhaust not even a performance exhaust cause it more restricted
This was posted in another thread months ago when this was first leaked. But this is the axle back exhaust for the 9AT performance trim most likely. Previously, I thought it was the exhaust for both the 6MT and 9AT performance trim, but I've seen other pictures/videos of the manual that has a much bigger axle back muffler.
2023 z underside.jpg

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Turns out the SAE noise compliance tests for both the AT and MT cars that the Z must pass differ in their required procedures quite signiificantly, and as a consequence the MT car has a slightly quieter exhaust:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2023-nissan-z-gets-a-louder-exhaust-with-the-automa-1848892692
Well, they have to give the auto drivers SOMETHING to brag about, and it doesn't look like it's going to be how quick the shifts are. 😂
No offense auto drivers. Also, happy Friday everyone!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Might have to take that back lol. Upshifts sound way quicker here, but downshifts still sound sluggish.

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Might have to take that back lol. Upshifts sound way quicker here, but downshifts still sound sluggish.

I was about to post this. Yeah its much different from the other video only way to know is either by driving it or waiting for reputable reviews after embargo

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
That's on the back straight, doesn't sound too bad from inside the car anyway.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
That thing shifts as fast as a supra in comfort mode! I was hoping for better. AT Z is out of the question now for me.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
That thing shifts as fast as a supra in comfort mode! I was hoping for better. AT Z is out of the question now for me.
Assuming you're ok with losing your warranty, I have a feeling aftermarket tunes will easily quicken the shifts.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Assuming you're ok with losing your warranty, I have a feeling aftermarket tunes will easily quicken the shifts.
I mean ya I'm fine with losing the warranty, that's the fun in modding cars. But out of the box, I shouldn't have to. I'm getting too old to buy a car and have to do 100 different things to bring it into the proper spec (the more videos i see, the more it seems like thats going to be the case). I get that it's supposed to be a grand touring car but come on, my brothers smart car shifts faster than that. No, that's not a joke, its true. I am hard core manual trans guy but some of these new auto trans have steered me in a new direction. This one does not impress me. Hopefully when the embargo lifts, they can prove me wrong.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Are y’all serious? It’s shifting automatically. It’s slow when responding to the paddles. That’s the concern.
The concern is also the speed of the shifts. In Matt Farah's video, the upshifts and downshifts sounded slow as hell.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Are y’all serious? It’s shifting automatically. It’s slow when responding to the paddles. That’s the concern.
When I drove the Porsche GT3 on a track, the instructor stated the car will shift faster than you could ever think to do it.