First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I never really notice it in traffic, and I've been stuck in traffic for HOURS in places like the DC metro area and Seoul. And that's with a multi-plate clutch. Driving manual is second nature to me. I don't understand how people have such an issue with it in traffic but to each their own, I guess.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I never really notice it in traffic, and I've been stuck in traffic for HOURS in places like the DC metro area and Seoul. And that's with a multi-plate clutch. Driving manual is second nature to me. I don't understand how people have such an issue with it in traffic but to each their own, I guess.
I understand if someone is just starting out, but at some point it should become such a natural part of driving a car that the last thing you're thinking about in the worst of traffic has anything to do with shifting gears. I very rarely have to drive an automatic so after driving manual practically every time out for around 23 years, I actually find auto trans pretty frustrating in traffic. If I drove auto all these years I'm sure it would just feel normal.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
was watching a wrx video recently and the reviewer claimed that autos are chosen over manuals on other cars, including sports cars, 80% of the time.

he said on wrx's it's the opposite, 85% sold are stick. kinda like we have going on here...so far 76% want to row gears.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
was watching a wrx video recently and the reviewer claimed that autos are chosen over manuals on other cars, including sports cars, 80% of the time.

he said on wrx's it's the opposite, 85% sold are stick. kinda like we have going on here...so far 76% want to row gears.
I kinda doubt that considering it seems every enthusiast car they seem to tout the manual. The 86 twins sell majority manuals. The Golf R in NA has a manual because of demand here (curiously in EU auto only, you know, the real auto enthusiast part of the world). WRX. Veloster N. I'm sure the GR Corolla will be this way. The HR Yaris is manual only. Basically if its middle-aged or younger target, the manual is in demand.

Automakers want to go auto only if they could because an only option is cheaper than making and testing two. And autos usually, usually tend to get better MPGs to boost their fleet MPG levels.

Enthusiast tuned autos like PDKs, DCT, and even the ZF8 torque converter trans might be a few tenths quicker, might get a mile or two better MPGs. But I don't care. Manuals are about to be gone, and despite my damaged discs causing pain and numbness in of course my left leg, I want at least one more manual transmission cars. I've driven nothing but manual sports cars since I were 17, and that's not about to change.

I tried to teach my wife manual transmissions for years, she just can't grasp it, that means she can't drive it, and that's tough luck for her. Hell, I might just take the passenger seat out of it while I'm at it. And in traffic, doesnt phase me, it's so subconscious at this point to me I don't even realize going through the process in stop and go.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS

Well in the WRX’s case.. when you consider the alternative was a shitcan CVT, manual is the only option hahaha

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I hate driving manual in traffic, not just because of the manual, but because how illogically traffic flows. Having to shift constantly because traffic is erratic is annoying. And no, I'm not going to be that guy who tries to "smooth" out traffic by driving slowly. I'm just as impatient as everyone else!

The best MT car I ever drove in bad traffic was my 92 Camaro V8. Just leave it in 2nd gear, the torque and nearly 60+ mph of 2nd made it real nice. I didn't mind the clutch work.

I'm still getting a 6MT Z. I would never put my Z into daily driver status. If I'm going to battle Seattle traffic, I'll do it in a big truck or the commuter van I have.

Besides, I'm still pissed some uninsured fool smacked my Q60 when I was forced to daily drive it when COVID initially hit.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Seattle traffic fucking sucks, for real. I remember trying to get up to Marysville for something and being stuck for at least two hours going through the city.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Seattle traffic fucking sucks, for real. I remember trying to get up to Marysville for something and being stuck for at least two hours going through the city.
Yeah, getting through Seattle is tough, Seattle is hourglass shaped, so it goes from bad to worse. Then, as you head north to Marysville, it lightens up a bit giving you false hope that as you leave Seattle things will get progressively better the further north you go....NOPE. Oddly, it just gets worse!
And the entire area has fuck-all for alternate routes. Everything is a tangle of meandering roads to nowhere and a bunch of dead-ends. I was born-raised Phoenix metro, if a route is jacked up there's 4 alternates that are decent.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yeah, getting through Seattle is tough, Seattle is hourglass shaped, so it goes from bad to worse. Then, as you head north to Marysville, it lightens up a bit giving you false hope that as you leave Seattle things will get progressively better the further north you go....NOPE. Oddly, it just gets worse!
And the entire area has fuck-all for alternate routes. Everything is a tangle of meandering roads to nowhere and a bunch of dead-ends. I was born-raised Phoenix metro, if a route is jacked up there's 4 alternates that are decent.
Sounds like Perth.
we have 1 major freeway into the city…just three lanes, to get into the city you have to cross a bridge over the river….the bridge is just 2 lanes.
they keep widening the freeway further down but are too thick to realise it’s never going to get any better unless they make a bridge with more lanes, or tunnel….because it ends up in a bottle neck

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
went to seattle on vacation once and remembering what was worse than the traffic was the fact that stores and gas stations would not let you use the bathroom.

this was a few years back, not sure if it's still that way. they blamed it on homeless people...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
went to seattle on vacation once and remembering what was worse than the traffic was the fact that stores and gas stations would not let you use the bathroom.

this was a few years back, not sure if it's still that way. they blamed it on homeless people...
Still that way.

I work for the city. The homeless problem is so out of control I am looking for a new job