ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Found a base/sport model in South FL. When I called about it, they wanted $20K over MSRP. $60K... for the sport model... Link for those interested

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next 1 - 2 years.
If every dealers all do ADM, then the likelihood of the price trend going below MSRP is unlikely to happen. Like gasoline price, there's a saying "it goes up like a rocket, and falls like a feather".

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
If every dealers all do ADM, then the likelihood of the price trend going below MSRP is unlikely to happen. Like gasoline price, there's a saying "it goes up like a rocket, and falls like a feather".
ADM being added to cars was ā€™tolerable/able to be rationalizedā€™ when you were getting over what one should for their trade-in - thus either making the ADM not as bad as people were saying or almost a wash. I use the example of being offered $31k for my 370z Nismo with 40k miles (I was offered 24ish with 20k a few years earlier); I was recently told $23k with 50k on the odo a few weeks ago. Throw in that interest rates are going up and this car has not been the ā€˜Supra beaterā€˜ we all hoped it would be; I will side on the Demand side of things - I feel that once production starts to pick up - prices will fall for this car at least to MSRP.
So I guess my long winded answer is that I feel this car will be like when the Genesis coupe first came out - they were asking for ADM on that car bc it was Hyundaiā€™s flagship car - when no one would bite - they realized it was just ā€˜another carā€™; I feel like the Z will be the same way especially since this is a bargain bin car (and to me that is not a horrible thing). I say all this knowing I want one - but even MSRP is questionable for me since I feel that this car will be a better used car bargain than a new car.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Unfortunately, I think we're going to see stores order less units in order to keep ADM alive for as long as possible.

Once you get a few units in and they're all lined up on the pavement, there's no way you can get premium pricing. There's probably less than $2,500 profit in the car...

If I was a dealer, I'd get as many as possible. Volume, volume, volume.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
Unfortunately, I think we're going to see stores order less units in order to keep ADM alive for as long as possible.

Once you get a few units in and they're all lined up on the pavement, there's no way you can get premium pricing. There's probably less than $2,500 profit in the car...

If I was a dealer, I'd get as many as possible. Volume, volume, volume.
I donā€™t know if dealers NOT ordering to keep their supply low will affect things unless you have ALL dealers doing it. Just like how we wanted the manufacturer to step in and help with the ADM issues - it wasnā€™t up to the manufacturer to help the consumer when it came to the dealer - I feel like if dealers turn away cars - there will be eventually another dealer willing to take this allocations - so if you donā€™t - then you miss out on possible sells and your current inventory will be forced to go down - bc most will travel or have it shipped from out of state to get a really good deal. The manufacturer made their money on the sale to the dealer and the dealer sets the price and uses MSRP as a suggestion so I donā€™t see Nissan dropping production just to help out dealers to keep this price artificially inflated.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
ADM being added to cars was ā€™tolerable/able to be rationalizedā€™ when you were getting over what one should for their trade-in - thus either making the ADM not as bad as people were saying or almost a wash. I use the example of being offered $31k for my 370z Nismo with 40k miles (I was offered 24ish with 20k a few years earlier); I was recently told $23k with 50k on the odo a few weeks ago. Throw in that interest rates are going up and this car has not been the ā€˜Supra beaterā€˜ we all hoped it would be; I will side on the Demand side of things - I feel that once production starts to pick up - prices will fall for this car at least to MSRP.
So I guess my long winded answer is that I feel this car will be like when the Genesis coupe first came out - they were asking for ADM on that car bc it was Hyundaiā€™s flagship car - when no one would bite - they realized it was just ā€˜another carā€™; I feel like the Z will be the same way especially since this is a bargain bin car (and to me that is not a horrible thing). I say all this knowing I want one - but even MSRP is questionable for me since I feel that this car will be a better used car bargain than a new car.
Well let's pray for Japan assembly line bc there's something serious wrong based on the Z and Q50/Q60 numbers. For the Q50 and Q60 numbers, it decreased by 50-80% production from previous year.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 083719.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 095655.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 101217.png

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I donā€™t know if dealers NOT ordering to keep their supply low will affect things unless you have ALL dealers doing it. Just like how we wanted the manufacturer to step in and help with the ADM issues - it wasnā€™t up to the manufacturer to help the consumer when it came to the dealer - I feel like if dealers turn away cars - there will be eventually another dealer willing to take this allocations - so if you donā€™t - then you miss out on possible sells and your current inventory will be forced to go down - bc most will travel or have it shipped from out of state to get a really good deal. The manufacturer made their money on the sale to the dealer and the dealer sets the price and uses MSRP as a suggestion so I donā€™t see Nissan dropping production just to help out dealers to keep this price artificially inflated.
I read an article about car makers possibly reducing production, if they can earn more per vehicle due to raised prices. It's something they learned from the pandemic.

I think you are correct about questionable success over time, trying to game the market in this way by manufactures and dealers. The question is though - how long might it take to see a correction - months or years?

I also think some consumers have gotten used to paying more for vehicles, and that social norm will also take time to die down. Overall, unfortunately I think we are in for generally higher prices for a few years, and they will go down kicking and screaming.

Here is one article on possible lasting changes related to production:
https://www.axios.com/2022/07/14/automakers-production-levels-decrease-profits

"Car manufacturers and dealers are making more money by selling fewer vehicles at higher prices ā€” and this could be a lasting transformation for the U.S. auto industry."

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Well let's pray for Japan assembly line bc there's something serious wrong based on the Z and Q50/Q60 numbers. For the Q50 and Q60 numbers, it decreased by 50-80% production from previous year.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 083719.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 095655.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 101217.png
As far as I know, the Q60s have ceased production. Crazy to see 85 Z's sold and on the roads tho.. At least it's something. Canada still f'ing tumble weeds. Everything has gone dark. If this trend continues.. the hype will be gone, and the up north sales will be abysmal if they ever come in. The whole thing feels stale now. So many have moved on.

Look how low the numbers are to begin with.. Maybe that's why they don't give a shit about the Canadian market. lol

1666801484573.png

Last edited:

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Found a base/sport model in South FL. When I called about it, they wanted $20K over MSRP. $60K... for the sport model... Link for those interested

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next 1 - 2 years.
Equally wild to me they don't even have the right thumbnail photo to show the car. I know I'm being a dead horse, but quality assurance across the board with this launch has just been, abysmal. Even small stuff like this, they can't seem to get right.

Semi-related, received this email this morning -

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 10.19.03 AM.png

And it reminded me - I saw the Proto Spec a year ago at the same show, and we've pretty much nothing to show for it. Wild.

z_ya_later

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Seiran Blue Nissan Z Sport
Equally wild to me they don't even have the right thumbnail photo to show the car. I know I'm being a dead horse, but quality assurance across the board with this launch has just been, abysmal. Even small stuff like this, they can't seem to get right.

Semi-related, received this email this morning -

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 10.19.03 AM.png

And it reminded me - I saw the Proto Spec a year ago at the same show, and we've pretty much nothing to show for it. Wild.
Just to chime in, I went to the Miami Auto Show this year. They had a red Perfmance spec Z that you could sit in this year which was a nice change from last year.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Obviously Nissan has shifted it's seriously limited resources over to more profitable vehicles.

And by seriously limited resources, I mean Nissan is probably in a very bad situation to acquire resources. It wouldn't surprise me if vendors are sending more resources towards companies like Toyota and Honda, Nissan, being injured, is likely being placed low on delivery priorities.
Nissan dealers still have fairly empty lots. There's no way we are going to see Z's until there's plenty of Pathfinders and Rogues to go around.

Nezluver66

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 toyota gr supra 3.0 premium
The color combo I was going to get just arrived today at my local dealer. $4,000 more than I paid for my Supra so I'm good.

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

OP
OP
jc604

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
615A9EB9-999D-4155-AF4A-73946678115D.jpeg

Looks like the autos are in. Looks like handful of cars on the way. (There is also a red performance within the pictures) 3 allocations of autos

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZšŸ˜“