indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
The question and points he considers beginning at the video 18:00 mark, are basically same that have been running through my mind. Maybe I'll get some clarity, if Z ever shows up so I can view and hopefully test drive.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Good points from 20:55 on, too. I think they're in really different classes and market segments, BRZ/GR86 and the Z. If you're good with $50K+ and have the means to spend more on tires, brakes, cargo, e.g. transporting tires, and overall maint later on, I'd say it's well worth the performance, plus for Nissan fans for sure it's a win.

OTOH, if more budget minded, then the twins will be way more cost-effective long term for sure, just won't have nearly the same power.

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
I run Conti ExtremeContact Sport tires (275/35R19 front, 295/35R19 rear) on the 5-spoke Nismo wheels and easily get 20,000 miles on them with pretty hard driving in hot Florida weather, and Florida often has high-friction pavements due to the frequent rains. You won't have to change the tires every 5,000 miles once you wear out the stock tires and go with better ones. I don't track the car but upgraded the Akebonos (same brakes as the Performance Z) with Hawk HPS pads, stainless steel lines, and Motul fluid, and the brakes will last for a very long time.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
He noted the tires are almost done, so that will have an impact on the ride/sound quality. I ditched the trash Bridgestone re050a pretty quickly for conti dws and pilot sports and never looked back.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I think they're in really different classes and market segments, BRZ/GR86 and the Z.
I've said that all along that comparing the three cars is rather pointless. At the very least the Z is a 2-seater while the 86/BRZ is a 2+2 seater. Similarly comparing the Z with the MX5/Miata is rather pointless - one is a coupe and the other a roadster, which again are two different classes of sports car (maybe when the Z convertible comes out it would be a slightly better comparison, but they're still two different price brackets).

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
so tires and exhaust...most here would probably replace them anyways.

some road noise and uncomfortable seats i don't feel are deal breakers.

the weight? just add more powa :cool:

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Gee, I wonder why ... oh, wait ... it's a press car that's been thrashed to near-death by various previous drivers doing tyre-spinning 0-60 tests.
exactly XD. small channel, so its expected. Just annoys me that they even send him one for a week

Jagman2000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jaguar XK8 Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Agree interesting points raised - also agree with the following comments on Bridgestone tires which I did a few years back - won't do that again. Halfway through the tread life I had had enough noise and got rid of them. What a relief. Ride quality was not that great either.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Putting aside the obviously used and abused tyres he goes on a about, he makes some good points. I think a lot of it could be distilled down into do you want to buy a 50k car or a 30k car though. I don't for a second think that the Z (or any of its more direct competitors) offer the same value for money as the twins, but we'd all be driving corolla's if we bought cars on that basis.

I want a Z because it's a well rounded sports car without glaring deficiencies. I don't know how many more alternatives there will be before the new "affordable" ICE sports car is effectively extinct.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I've said that all along that comparing the three cars is rather pointless. At the very least the Z is a 2-seater while the 86/BRZ is a 2+2 seater. Similarly comparing the Z with the MX5/Miata is rather pointless - one is a coupe and the other a roadster, which again are two different classes of sports car (maybe when the Z convertible comes out it would be a slightly better comparison, but they're still two different price brackets).
Even though the vehicles have different qualities, I'm likely going to own only one sports car, so I'm comparing them (BRZ/86 to Z). Specifically comparing the combo of fun/performance/utility each would provide for my usage. And as the reviewer mentioned, would the extra 20k+ for a Z, provide enough of a benefit, compared to the lower cost option or other things I could do with that money.

Seeing in person, at least sitting in and hopefully test driving a Z ... could bring some clarity in my mind. Maybe I test drive the Z and it fits like a glove, and I got to have it. Or I end up liking some things about Z such as the power increase, but not enough to lay out 50k+. Hard to know based on photos and some reviewer opinions.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
When I first started thinking about the twins I was like no way, ever. Then slowly watching review videos from competent reviewers and I can see that there is real track design power built into the twins. And they look good. Combine that with the fact that here in Canada when my allocation arrives it will be $70k CAD or just over due to luxury tax and you really start wondering about the value. For now, it is the stunning good looks of the Z. After all this is a car and I'm always looking back at my car. As well, the twins are a dime a dozen where I live. No wonder these kids keep putting different track spoilers on them just so they can still pick out there car in a mall parking lot. When you get a Z you can be assured that if you are driving one that you'll not be passing very many on your travels. Its a niche car. And I like that.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
When you get a Z you can be assured that if you are driving one that you'll not be passing very many on your travels. Its a niche car.
To begin with maybe, but there are a ton of 350Z cars on the road now and quite a few the 370Z (both partly thanks to second-hand imports from Japan). The New Z will be similar in a few years time, partly because it is "affordable".

If you really want something "niche" you'd need to get an older car, like my S13 200sx - I only occasionally see another one out on the roads around here. :)

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I want the new Z because I've BEEN a Datsun/Nissan fan forever. So far the Z fits the bill although has lots of shortcomings when priced north of $50K for what technology it doesn't have, just not enough in the package. Still hyped up with the Sport and estimating my own upgrades. Good posts by those interested in the new Z from other makes, lots of comparisons and nitpicks. I hope the new adopters stick with it and we'll have a cruise someday ;) or maybe gathering at Z Nationals.