Sponsored

(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

DevonK

Well-Known Member
First Name
Take a guess
Joined
Mar 27, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
1,027
Reaction score
1,718
Location
Toronto
Car(s)
TBD
If real you can certainly see an explanation for the much lower 0-60 times with the Z's 9 spd AT compared to the 6 speed - the engine's hp peak is relatively narrow in rpm range, so the benefit of having very close ratio gearing for better acceleration is more marked.

I'm no dyno expert, but wrt the Supra that seems like a pretty unusual torque curve for an unmodded production engine? That bulge from 2300-4300 rpm is something I haven't seen before.
 
Last edited:

kevzxvii

New Member
First Name
kevin
Joined
May 15, 2022
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Location
LA
Car(s)
Z
Occupation
nurse
Not my screenshot, i dont have an android LOL.

apparently they compared a 2020 instead of 2021+ model Zupra (which make significant more power). when prompted they said they couldn't locate a91 Supra. all (MK5) Supras are a90. many corrected them also stated why use a manual Z (less drivetrain loss). a91 is just a term for special editions, then they deleted it.

F6FE9A67-2AF9-4F07-9AD2-AE2780342F9C.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
9
Messages
290
Reaction score
672
Location
Seattle
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Not my screenshot, i dont have an android LOL.

apparently they compared a 2020 instead of 2021+ model Zupra (which make significant more power). when prompted they said they couldn't locate a91 Supra. all (MK5) Supras are a90. many corrected them also stated why use a manual Z (less drivetrain loss). a91 is just a term for special editions, then they deleted it.

F6FE9A67-2AF9-4F07-9AD2-AE2780342F9C.jpeg
Thanks for posting, it makes sense now. Even the 2020 Supra is an over-achiever on the dyno.

The Z hitting 356whp is about right if you take into the account 11% drivetrain loss.

The 2021 Supra is a torque beast. It can easily hit 600 wheel torque on the stock turbo.

-RJM
 

MHockey17

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 7, 2022
Threads
0
Messages
163
Reaction score
254
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Do you have a link or screenshot (I don't have social media accounts if the dyno is there)

I'd like to see it and compare it to baseline Infiniti dynos, 365 is on the low end for VR30…... totally possible as all dynos will put up different results, but I'd like to see if the plots look like a VR at least.

Most Infiniti make at least 375whp, and that's with AWD and the 7AT.

(Nonetheless I know the BMW is stronger, especially considering stock torque should be a good deal better too)
I’d also be interested in the comparison to stock Q60RS dynos sheets, as you’ve pointed out they’re typically higher than this

Also considering the difference in the Z n Supra’s 0-60 & quarter was only .2 sec, 1 mph diff in trap speed, and that a large part of that was clearly due to lack of tire grip n ineffective launch control, Id be skeptical that the difference in whp is that significant.
 

takemorepills

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
20
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
5,645
Location
Seattle area
Car(s)
Q60
I’d also be interested in the comparison to stock Q60RS dynos sheets, as you’ve pointed out they’re typically higher than this

Also considering the difference in the Z n Supra’s 0-60 & quarter was only .2 sec, 1 mph diff in trap speed, and that a large part of that was clearly due to lack of tire grip n ineffective launch control, Id be skeptical that the difference in whp is that significant.
After considering the "AMS Dyno Comparison" to an alleged 2020 Supra....
After re-watching the Hagerty video

I must say the Z is ACTUALLY impressive. On paper, torque is down, weight is +260 over the BMW, the BMW has a solid reputation for being underrated, the BMW has a better transmission AND Hagerty tested against the higher-power 2022 BMW....
And the Z had wheelspin all the way into 3rd, they said it would've been neck and neck had the Z hooked up.

Now, is it because ineffective suspension design? Possibly.
Janky tires? Likely.
Poorly sorted launch control parameters? That too.
Doesn't surprise me that Nissan was 95% in this area.
BMWs make more power and handle their power better.
This Z has the power, but can't handle it AS WELL as the BMW. Several YT'ers have mentioned that the Z is squirrelly thru the first 3 gears.

Not much can be done about how well the chassis puts down the power. Doubt Nissan can sort the LC out. I'd be curious about better tires.

Still not going to beat a 2022 BMW Supra. Best we could hope for, and looks totally possible, is to stay in the shadow of the BMW. Maybe nose-to-nose.

Good enough for me. Let's call the dramatic wheelspin and squirrelliness "character". Probably "feels" faster than the Supra due to the inability to handle it's own power.
 

Vilithrax

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mason
Joined
Aug 22, 2021
Threads
0
Messages
73
Reaction score
135
Location
Chicago Area
Car(s)
C8
I wish they tested against a 21+ model, the 6 post makes 382 on a dyno. Sounds fishy when they say they couldn’t get ahold of one at the time..
 

rocksandblues

Well-Known Member
First Name
bob
Joined
May 12, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
414
Reaction score
878
Location
VA
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

I will PAY for your track fee. Serious and honest offer.
​
 

therumblewagon

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 22, 2021
Threads
31
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
3,355
Location
California
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

I will PAY for your track fee. Serious and honest offer.
​
200.gif


Sincerely hope someone takes you up on this.

I'm most curious if the brakes hold up as well as they have perceived to, so far. I want to say a reviewer said if you do wish to track it, the Nismo pads would be enough? Which is a pretty solid vote of confidence of whatever brake fluid/other bits they put it in from the factory.
 

because_murica

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
10
Messages
546
Reaction score
1,739
Location
'Murica
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

I will PAY for your track fee. Serious and honest offer.
​
Forget YouTube money, I want TB money ?
 

rocksandblues

Well-Known Member
First Name
bob
Joined
May 12, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
414
Reaction score
878
Location
VA
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
200.gif


Sincerely hope someone takes you up on this.

I'm most curious if the brakes hold up as well as they have perceived to, so far. I want to say a reviewer said if you do wish to track it, the Nismo pads would be enough? Which is a pretty solid vote of confidence of whatever brake fluid/other bits they put it in from the factory.

Offer is legit. I understand the Z may not be released in the wild until late summer, but we run through Oct as long as the temps get a stay above 45.

Track is 2 miles. Relatively new (5 years old)
Check us out

Dominion Raceway | Virginia Motorsports | Nascar Racing | Entertainment Venue
 

West Aussie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
3,601
Reaction score
5,762
Location
Australia
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

I will PAY for your track fee. Serious and honest offer.
​
Oooo does that include a flight from Aus to get it there? ?
 

Raven1

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
249
Reaction score
582
Location
Phoenix
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
Honest Track Offer:

I am a track rat in VA. The track director of my club has a Nismo 370 that he tracks.
We are car nuts without allegiance. We LOVE having a wide variety of cars at our member days (40/year)

I would honestly love to see how the new Z does out of the box. Can't help but be a fan of a manual legacy sports car.

The first new Z in Virginia or wants to come to Virginia for a full day of track: 5-6 20 mins sessions.

I will PAY for your track fee. Serious and honest offer.
​
Car Nutz Without Allegiance Indeed - Nothing better than like minds experiencing life behind the wheel.

True Happiness Starts When I don't Know Where I End and Where My Zee Begins, Time is no longer relevant, Clear Mind, Full Heart and that feeling I never want to end . . .
 

MHockey17

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 7, 2022
Threads
0
Messages
163
Reaction score
254
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
After considering the "AMS Dyno Comparison" to an alleged 2020 Supra....
After re-watching the Hagerty video

I must say the Z is ACTUALLY impressive. On paper, torque is down, weight is +260 over the BMW, the BMW has a solid reputation for being underrated, the BMW has a better transmission AND Hagerty tested against the higher-power 2022 BMW....
And the Z had wheelspin all the way into 3rd, they said it would've been neck and neck had the Z hooked up.

Now, is it because ineffective suspension design? Possibly.
Janky tires? Likely.
Poorly sorted launch control parameters? That too.
Doesn't surprise me that Nissan was 95% in this area.
BMWs make more power and handle their power better.
This Z has the power, but can't handle it AS WELL as the BMW. Several YT'ers have mentioned that the Z is squirrelly thru the first 3 gears.

Not much can be done about how well the chassis puts down the power. Doubt Nissan can sort the LC out. I'd be curious about better tires.

Still not going to beat a 2022 BMW Supra. Best we could hope for, and looks totally possible, is to stay in the shadow of the BMW. Maybe nose-to-nose.

Good enough for me. Let's call the dramatic wheelspin and squirrelliness "character". Probably "feels" faster than the Supra due to the inability to handle it's own power.
Obviously hard to tell without driving it, but my impression from the videos/reviews so far is that the traction issues are primarily tire design and LC/drivetrain tuning, as it seems like Nissans LC controller is pretty liberal with amount of tire spin it allows. I wouldn’t think it’s due to chassis as SG’s tech review pointed out significant changes were made in the rear to handle the extra torque.

I’m also wondering ? why Nissan chose not to use the GTR-grade Dunlops from the late model 370Z NISMOs. The slightly wider rears would surely help traction and I had thought it’s a better tire than the Bridgestones. They do wear very quick though, so that could be why.
 

NecioVato

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 15, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
90
Reaction score
159
Location
USA
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
Oh I'm just replying to this thread because it was a busy thread and one of the first ones I saw on the 'versus'.

I can't reply for everyone else, but my position has always been - no test drive, no buy. Reviews are a fun to watch, but holy shit I wouldn't drop $60k on someone else's opinion.
When looking at some of the more difficult cars to obtain - the Dealers just do the opposite - basically its all about the agreed upon financing and running the credit unless you pay cash - and then FINALLY - you can then test drive to see if that ‘hard inquiry’ was worth the hype. Regardless I would hope people would look to test drive it before purchasing. Heck - wait a year and all the ‘early clout fools’ will trade it in and you’ll get a no hassle test drive at CarMax.
 
 






Top